Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel issues

4 posters

Go down

Wheel issues Empty Wheel issues

Post  BullyBurrell Tue 11 Feb 2020, 10:32 pm

Hi there

Long time lurker so thanks to everyone who posts. It's been a great reference source so far. I had planned to start a thread when I had a completed front end.

However last weekend when trial fitting a wheel to the axle I hit a snag....

Wheel issues 20200212
Wheel issues 20200211

As you can see, the retaining collar doesn't line up. I did try it the other way round in case I'd been a numpty but still no good.

However if I try without the rear bearing, it fits.

Wheel issues 20200213

So.... either my bearings are not fitting correctly or the retaining collar is the wrong size.

I have the same issue with both hubs and having tried all sorts of ways of pressing in the bearings, am beginning to think it must be the collars that are wrong.

I am minded to borrow my best mates lathe and turn them down to the desired thickness. Before I take any action I just wanted to pick people's brains to see if this is a common occurrence or if there is a special way of seating the bearings.

Given that thus far everything has fitted together nicely, I would be shocked for STWs kit to be out by so much. This leads me to think I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance

Rich

BullyBurrell

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2019-08-25

Back to top Go down

Wheel issues Empty Re: Wheel issues

Post  Will@STW Wed 12 Feb 2020, 10:31 am

Hi Rich

If you are on the latest batch of axle, the retaining collars were made to fit the axle on one end (so if you put the wrong collar on then it one end then it won't fit). Have you tried both collars on that end?

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BullyBurrell Wed 12 Feb 2020, 9:08 pm

Thanks Will for the quick reply. Sadly trying both hubs on each side of the axle with both retaining collars they still don't fit.

I've had a play with some measuring and now firmly believe the collars are the wrong size....

Wheel issues 20200214

You'll see from my rough drawing that comparing the measurements of the inside bearing lip thickness, the length of the hub, the outer bearing thickness and the wheel retaining collar, the total dimensions are all but there (barring 0.5mm).

This is borne out as both collars fit when offering up the wheels with no outer cover.

When the outer cover is added, the collar is out by circa 3.67mm. This adds up to 3.87mm per my diagram and I suspect the difference of 0.2mm is just cumulative errors on my measurements.

Hence either I have the wrong collars or the axle ends are not long enough.

The collars seem to be the obvious issue as if they are turned down by just under 4mm, everything will line up nicely.

Before turning them down I just wanted to be sure (which I am now).

So unless you have some collars on the shelf that are say 16mm thick, I'll customise the ones I have.

Rich

Ps - both collars are actually identical. The holes seem to be in the same place bar very minor differences.

BullyBurrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Thu 13 Feb 2020, 9:06 am

Hi Rich

Before you go ahead and machine the collars, we need to be certain that the problem isn't a result of a problem with the wheels. When the wheel is fully assembled the distance from face of the outside bearing to the face of the inside bearing should be 71mm, if it is more then I would check that your bearings are going all the way in to the hub as they should. If you do get that measurement, then I would just double check that the inside bush has a radius matching the radius on the axle. If all this is correct then you can safely assume that the problem is either the length of the axle or the size of the collars.

Many thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BullyBurrell Thu 13 Feb 2020, 9:30 am

Cheers Will

I will have a play this evening and see what's what.

Rich

BullyBurrell

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:49 pm

it does not look like your bearing is in the correct place.

this pic was taken from lynn's thread and the bearing looks to be deeper in the hub..

Wheel issues Hub10

https://traction.forumotion.com/t623-lynn-robinson-showman-scenic

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BullyBurrell Sun 16 Feb 2020, 8:00 pm

Will,
Thanks for your help. Thursday night I measured the hub and found out I was circa 3mm out on your figure. I decided to put the hub in my vice and just gently apply some controlled pressure....

Sure enough the bearing went home into the hub.

This allowed me to fit the wheels to the axle.
Wheel issues 20200215

Last edited by BullyBurrell on Sun 16 Feb 2020, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

BullyBurrell

Back to top Go down

Post  BullyBurrell Sun 16 Feb 2020, 8:03 pm

Following which, I cracked on preparing kit 3 to just be able to see a completed front end.

Obligatory pictures....

Wheel issues 20200216

Wheel issues 20200217

Just need to epoxy the wheels and put the craft master order to good use....

Wheel issues 20200218

Looking forward to kit 4.

Thanks all and I'm sure I'll be back before long for some more guidance.

Rich

BullyBurrell

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 17 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm

Hi

Just noticed from the picture of your wheel on the axle. You have the spokes on the wrong side of the T ring. All spokes should be on the inside of the wheel when mounted.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BullyBurrell Mon 17 Feb 2020, 6:46 pm

Thanks Lynn for your comment.

I was hoping no one would notice.....

I realised after bolting up the second wheel and comparing it to the drawings and the first wheel. However I just wanted to see it together.

I made a note for myself to reverse when dis assembling them before epoxying the spokes in as I just want to give the spokes one final key with the flap wheel. I plan on painting once the epoxy has cured.

I am sure this won't be the last time I'm in need of assistance from people on here.

Rich

BullyBurrell

Icard72 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down