Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berkshire Beginner!

4 posters

Go down

Berkshire Beginner! Empty Berkshire Beginner!

Post  Suffolkpunch Mon 18 Nov 2019, 7:32 pm

After 50 years away from steam I am making a return and planning to build a four inch Burrell agricultural. After years of building South East Finecast white metal kits (1/32) I thought I would scale up! I have read the excellent posts on this forum and watched the videos, etc, etc. Is there anyone in the area (Maidenhead, Berkshire) who would be willing to share any building tips, tools required and general support before I order. I would also like to join a society or club in my area, but all I can find are scale railway clubs.

Phil Upton

Suffolkpunch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-11-17

Back to top Go down

Berkshire Beginner! Empty Berkshire Beginner

Post  hydro9 Tue 19 Nov 2019, 5:38 pm

I'm down in South Hampshire so a bit remote for tools/hands on support.

Regarding clubs........ I agree it's difficult to find clubs that are anything more than scale railway. But do not count them out. I've found it very useful to join a local club because most of them have a small machine shop giving members access to lathes, pillar drills, etc., which can be very useful for the odd part that you may wish to tweak, and their experience of railway steam is very transferable into the world of road traction.

Also, come that magic day when you need a Steam Certificate for your completed engine to satisfy steam rally entry requirements, etc., these clubs can often conjure up a qualified person within the membership to perform that service. And at a fraction of the cost of a commercial inspector. My local club has five of these individuals and offer this service to members for free.  

Good luck with the build. Fear not, there is plenty of support from this community who have completed the journey, and STW are very
responsive with replacement parts if you get into any difficulty.

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Berkshire Beginner! Empty Re: Berkshire Beginner!

Post  LiveSteam Tue 19 Nov 2019, 8:14 pm

Dont forget while clubs can be useful when it comes to boiler tests and assistance with machinery etc the other side of the coin is they will, and quite rightly, often want you to help them out on their running days and maintenance days which I totally understand.
As I still work I just cannot afford time to spend assisting clubs so opt for a commercial inspector to carry out all my boiler testing which of course I pay for. So its horses for courses.
I also found some clubs to be somewhat anti large scale traction, and very closed in their ranks and expected the wives to sit and make the tea, which wasnt my wifes idea of fun Laughing I will say this was some 15yrs ago so hopefully those ones have mellowed with time ?

One which you may find of interest, although possibly too far from you, is Basingstoke MES who run a very successful miniature gala day once a year http://www.basingstoke-dmes.co.uk/Miniature_Steam_Gala.html

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Berkshire Beginner! Empty Berkshire Beginner!

Post  Suffolkpunch Thu 21 Nov 2019, 12:53 pm

Thanks all for your replies - hope I get to the boiler inspection stage! Very Happy

Suffolkpunch

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2019-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Mon 16 Dec 2019, 1:37 pm

I am not that far away, in Beaconsfield , but although I have rebuilt cars and motorbikes, I am no expert on traction engines so I can also be described as a “beginner” !

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down