Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder block cladding

3 posters

Go down

Cylinder block cladding Empty Cylinder block cladding

Post  Lufccrowther Sun 10 Nov 2019, 6:59 pm

Hi there.
I've got a slight problem with the cylinder block cladding at the moment.
I initially made a mistake several months ago now to have the cladding for the cylinder block painted before trial fitting it. (Since then I make sure everything fits before I paint😬) like you could imagine the cladding didn't fit how I would like it to be with the bolt holes not lining up. After a bit of work filing it for the holes to line up I found out the radius and bends of the cladding didn't match the block. I left it as I could get a couple of threads of the brass bolts in, j wasn't really happy with it as the were some major gaps between the block and the cladding. I came to another job in shortening some studs in the block, and one of the bolts came loose and I couldn't get it back in with all the tension in the cladding and brass bands. I don't really want to put some of my longer steel bolts in as it may look odd and I can't seem to find any longer brass ones in my collection.
Has anyone else come about this problem and/or do they know how to rectify it.
Also to make matters worse the block has been bolted onto the boiler and all motion is complete so I don't really want to take the block off again.
Kind regards
Luke Crowther

Lufccrowther

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-09-20

Back to top Go down

Cylinder block cladding Empty Cylinder Block Cladding

Post  hydro9 Mon 11 Nov 2019, 11:54 am

Hi Luke, I too found that the cladding stood slightly clear of the cylinder block surface. My thinking at the time (3 years ago) was that the slight gap (about 2mm )was a good thing. It allows for a small airflow between cladding and cylinder which reduces the temperature that your cladding paint surface is subjected to. Unlike the boiler cladding there is no other insulation in between.
Hope that helps.
Best regards
Chris

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Cylinder block cladding Empty Re: Cylinder block cladding

Post  Lufccrowther Mon 11 Nov 2019, 12:01 pm

Thank for the reply.
When you put it that way, I agree.
Will from STW is sending me some longer brass bolts so I trust it not coming off when going down the road.
Thanks
Luke

Lufccrowther

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 11 Nov 2019, 8:11 pm

My cylinder cladding will only go on a certain way. Generally I start with two of the middle screws and then work out each way. Any other way and it wont fit.

I do put some ceramic insulation between it and block and have no paint issues.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down