Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

future products

+26
GregD
Mike King
Fosterdavid
Nick100
bjwlancashire
andysleigh
MikeBelham
calimods
Capricorn1
LiveSteam
Mattj64
IanR
sonick45
Vapor
olly
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
Steve Traill
Willsy
Goliewogs
TheFodenBrothers
Mark the spark
Kiwiconnection
Midwest Steam
Steve H
Simon C
Will@STW
30 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Re: future products

Post  sonick45 Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:35 pm

My opinion...

If you look at the model market it is saturated with Burrells and Fosters, the odd Marshall but not many Fowlers. you only mainly see them in 6" or 2/3" and even then not many.

A 4" Fowler B6 Road Loco or would be special. With an option to convert to Showmans spec with an interchangeable smokebox extension, dynamo and roof/fittings.

A set of drawings for the B6 wont be hard to come by either.

Like the Burrell, once you have the designs done you can make other models of fowler by changing certain aspects but keeping some castings the same.

Or

A Crane Engine  - could even offer that in both Burrell or Fowler at a later date.

You will attract a whole new line of customers who are Fowler lovers and not Burrell.  I know quite a few Burrell owners who wold love a fowler model but unless you scratch build one or one comes up for sale there aren't any in kit form like you offer.

Or

a 4" rack saw bench. This can be run by any of your 4" range. would be a desirable addition for anyone cutting fire wood or small planks and a great demo at a show. It would also pack away reasonably small for transportation.

Or

A scale Stones steam turbine generator so those who don't have a Showmans can make electricity on the move for lights or whilst stationary. Those with a road loco already have the spare steam outlet off the back head manifold.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:28 am

I would vote for anything 3" scale. still small enough to get in the back of a car or small van. But that bit bigger than 2" to make it easier to run and more useful on a rally field.

Last edited by IanR on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:06 am

I think we are definitely going to start looking into the 3" market as there seems to be a bit of a gap there that we could easily plug.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

doug likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattj64 Sun 13 Oct 2019, 10:43 pm

Wallis and Stevens Simplicity Roller

Mattj64

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-10-13

Goliewogs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 6:15 pm

A good friend is currently transforming a road loco to showmans specification.

It got me thinking of a conversion for the road loco.

This would be relatively easy given that most if not all parts required already exist.

With some small adjustments on the drilled holes for the dynamo bracket and roof supports you could convert your RL to a showmans spec. Not a scenic as the boiler is shorter but it would be great to have the option.

You have a choice then.
1. Large scenic
2. RL or showmans.

I for one would buy into the option. Nice to have the ability to change clothes and make electricery.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 18 Dec 2019, 7:08 pm

Actually I quite like the idea of "conversion" kits, even better if the kits were relatively quick to "convert", I'd love to be able to be sat at the beer tent generating in the evening, however I'm not so keen trundling about a rally in full showman mode given the poor visibility, one thing thats always put me off a showmans, that and all that dam brass that needs polishing Laughing
I've even looked at putting something together myself even if its just a quick release roof type of thing with some battery powered lights as a start to go on my Agri  Laughing yeah I'm sure it will upset the purists  Laughing  but hey who doesnt want a roof with lights on it outside a beer tent on a summers evening   Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

As much as I admire Fowler ploughing engines if STW were to produce a plougher in 4" scale, how about going for either a Maclaren or an Aveling and Porter... there is a huge A+P at the back of John Crawleys Traction Engines in Focus book.

I would imagine the cost whatever the maker would be well over £45k..?

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Re: Future Products

Post  calimods Wed 29 Jan 2020, 4:31 pm

I would fancy a Burrell wagon or an early type Foden Wagon in 4'' or 6'' scale

calimods

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty A scale Stones steam turbine generator

Post  MikeBelham Sun 17 May 2020, 10:32 pm

Having read through all the ideas a 4" scale Stones steam turbine generator would be really great, if connected to a 12v car alternator it could power the orange globe light on the move, also, in conjunction with an inverter it could produce 240v mains. We live in a village and when its stormy we sometimes lose power, so a steam powered generator would be a bonus
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  andysleigh Mon 18 May 2020, 3:53 am

something aveling

a 4" marshall s type convertible traction engine/ roller.
2 sides of the market with one stone.

some kind of railway engine. maybe vertical boilered for ease.

also a new website, the current one is not the best to navigate and everything is massive.
the old website was much better, and easier to see everything
andysleigh
andysleigh

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 21 May 2020, 10:58 pm

Well it's my first time on here in 4 years at least but been reminiscing about Blackbeard and looking at Tony, Rob, Lynn and Nick's progress amongst other things.

The A&P ploughing engine suggested actually exists in a pair of full size ones at the Thursdford collection in Norfolk so there is a physical example to go and measure up/ photograph.

Also , the Marshall S Type is a good shout as Will has access to one and certainly knows his way around one. There are actually drawings available for one in 3" scale that used my roller as the basis. This could satisfy the desire for a 3" scale model in roller or vegetable Tractor form. It could also provide an easy scale up to 6" and make an interesting Tractor. The valve gear alone would make it interesting and it is a piston valve engine.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Two wheels good

Post  Nick100 Wed 03 Jun 2020, 4:31 pm

A repro of one of the original steam motorcycles would be great -- open up a whole new avenue of STW customers, maybe... young and old.

Nick100

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2017-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Fosterdavid Sat 04 Jul 2020, 10:56 am

3 inch scenic would be very good to do :-)

Fosterdavid

Number of posts : 1

doug likes this post

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty 4" Scale Heavy Haulage Trailer

Post  MikeBelham Mon 13 Jul 2020, 8:30 pm

Hi Will,

I have been thinking a lot recently about a 4" scale heavy haulage trailer that could be towed behind on of your 4" road locos or the 4 1/2" SWB Foden lorry, possibly loaded with a 4" scale roller at a local rally.

You already have the double wheels on the rear axles of the Foden lorry, and perhaps the LWB lorry chasis could be used as a basis for the load bed?

Just a thought ...........

Mike
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Will@STW likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 14 Jul 2020, 8:59 am

MikeBelham wrote:Hi Will,

I have been thinking a lot recently about a 4" scale heavy haulage trailer that could be towed behind on of your 4" road locos or the 4 1/2" SWB Foden lorry, possibly loaded with a 4" scale roller at a local rally.

You already have the double wheels on the rear axles of the Foden lorry, and perhaps the LWB lorry chasis could be used as a basis for the load bed?

Just a thought ...........

Mike
Hi Mike

It is an option we have been planning on doing ever since I started working at STW a little over 2 years ago, and I believe it is still in the pipelines. When we do try it, it will be based on the 100 ton Pickfords trailer that is at GDSF.

Many thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

MikeBelham likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham Tue 14 Jul 2020, 4:00 pm

Wow, That's a big beasty indeed.

I was thinking something along these lines:

future products  - Page 2 Downlo10
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty 2 inch

Post  Mike King Sun 09 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

As one of the few with very limited space, I would like to see a 2inch Road loco. Currently the 2 inch is only represented by one engine model.

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Mike King, Goliewogs and Nigncoz like this post

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty New products

Post  GregD Thu 17 Dec 2020, 1:07 am

15 inch gauge Cagney loco

GregD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-12-16

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty New Products, but choose wisely

Post  thehawk Tue 02 Feb 2021, 9:03 am

It is always a good idea to develop the product line to keep the punters interested. BUT I would say to STW don't spread yourselves too thinly. STW has just taken on Little Samson, so that is a whole new product line to support. Many of us have memories of Model Works and their lines of rail locos, clocks as well as traction engines and for us who were buying models at that time, we had to endure kits not being delivered on time and ultimately company failure. Yes, Steve and Dean rescued the situation and built up the current company by sticking to the basics and delivering the goods. So please forget boats and trains, work within your resources and stick to what you are good at; traction engines and their accessories.
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Goliewogs and Nigncoz like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 02 Feb 2021, 10:31 am

thehawk wrote:It is always a good idea to develop the product line to keep the punters interested. BUT I would say to STW don't spread yourselves too thinly. STW has just taken on Little Samson, so that is a whole new product line to support. Many of us have memories of Model Works and their lines of rail locos, clocks as well as traction engines and for us who were buying models at that time, we had to endure kits not being delivered on time and ultimately company failure. Yes, Steve and Dean rescued the situation and built up the current company by sticking to the basics and delivering the goods. So please forget boats and trains, work within your resources and stick to what you are good at; traction engines and their accessories.

Whilst we would never say never to anything like locos and boats and so on, I will say it is not in the running right now. This thread was started before we decided to do the 6" Burrell and Little Samson, so the sky was the limit, but even then it was extremely unlikely that we would move on to locos. Any steps towards locos and other types of engines would be tiny steps, so a very simple loco, a simply boat hull using a lykamobile engine (which is already in production), nothing too intense as there would always be the risk as you say that we could spread ourselves too thinly.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Vapor and Goliewogs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Mon 15 Feb 2021, 6:52 pm

Hi Will

A 3" Foden would be nice but you would have to give some consideration the driving position. I had to lose four stone to get into my 4.5" so you are not going to get your feet into a 3". Possibly a good thing as it would allow for a bigger water tank and better range, mine only improved when I put a 60 ltr tank under the artic trailer.

I have always thought that one of the earlier vertical boiler steam lorries, with wooden chassis and wheels, would make a good model. Stick a Lika engine under the chassis and away you go.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Future Products

Post  hydro9 Sun 28 Feb 2021, 12:20 pm

Many of us turn up to try out a new rally offering only to find that there is minimal opportunity for driving around when we get there. So we're reduced to 'boiling water' with the engine on tick-over all day long. We end up looking no more interesting than the row of stationary engines that these events often attract.
I, for one, would welcome some belt driven agricultural machinery to attract interest. What could be more appropriate for an Agricultural Engine.
I've seen some model engines driving scale threshing machines which look amazing, but few of us have the skills to scratch build such a thing.

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Sun 28 Feb 2021, 9:26 pm

I totally agree with hydro9. I won't go to rallies that don't allow you to drive around any more and I have been trying to purchase a threshing machine since I completed my Ag. Burrell nearly 7 years ago - they are rare and expensive. I have the plans to build one but it is beyond my capabilities.
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sun 28 Feb 2021, 11:40 pm

"find that there is minimal opportunity for driving around when we get there" this is most often the result of mud.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2