future products

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Re: future products

Post  sonick45 on Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:35 pm

My opinion...

If you look at the model market it is saturated with Burrells and Fosters, the odd Marshall but not many Fowlers. you only mainly see them in 6" or 2/3" and even then not many.

A 4" Fowler B6 Road Loco or would be special. With an option to convert to Showmans spec with an interchangeable smokebox extension, dynamo and roof/fittings.

A set of drawings for the B6 wont be hard to come by either.

Like the Burrell, once you have the designs done you can make other models of fowler by changing certain aspects but keeping some castings the same.

Or

A Crane Engine  - could even offer that in both Burrell or Fowler at a later date.

You will attract a whole new line of customers who are Fowler lovers and not Burrell.  I know quite a few Burrell owners who wold love a fowler model but unless you scratch build one or one comes up for sale there aren't any in kit form like you offer.

Or

a 4" rack saw bench. This can be run by any of your 4" range. would be a desirable addition for anyone cutting fire wood or small planks and a great demo at a show. It would also pack away reasonably small for transportation.

Or

A scale Stones steam turbine generator so those who don't have a Showmans can make electricity on the move for lights or whilst stationary. Those with a road loco already have the spare steam outlet off the back head manifold.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 10:28 am

I would vote for anything 3" scale. still small enough to get in the back of a car or small van. But that bit bigger than 2" to make it easier to run and more useful on a rally field.

Last edited by IanR on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:09 am; edited 2 times in total

IanR

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW on Wed 09 Oct 2019, 11:06 am

I think we are definitely going to start looking into the 3" market as there seems to be a bit of a gap there that we could easily plug.

Thanks

Will@STW

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattj64 on Sun 13 Oct 2019, 10:43 pm

Wallis and Stevens Simplicity Roller

Mattj64

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 on Wed 18 Dec 2019, 6:15 pm

A good friend is currently transforming a road loco to showmans specification.

It got me thinking of a conversion for the road loco.

This would be relatively easy given that most if not all parts required already exist.

With some small adjustments on the drilled holes for the dynamo bracket and roof supports you could convert your RL to a showmans spec. Not a scenic as the boiler is shorter but it would be great to have the option.

You have a choice then.
1. Large scenic
2. RL or showmans.

I for one would buy into the option. Nice to have the ability to change clothes and make electricery.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Wed 18 Dec 2019, 7:08 pm

Actually I quite like the idea of "conversion" kits, even better if the kits were relatively quick to "convert", I'd love to be able to be sat at the beer tent generating in the evening, however I'm not so keen trundling about a rally in full showman mode given the poor visibility, one thing thats always put me off a showmans, that and all that dam brass that needs polishing Laughing
I've even looked at putting something together myself even if its just a quick release roof type of thing with some battery powered lights as a start to go on my Agri  Laughing yeah I'm sure it will upset the purists  Laughing  but hey who doesnt want a roof with lights on it outside a beer tent on a summers evening   Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 on Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

As much as I admire Fowler ploughing engines if STW were to produce a plougher in 4" scale, how about going for either a Maclaren or an Aveling and Porter... there is a huge A+P at the back of John Crawleys Traction Engines in Focus book.

I would imagine the cost whatever the maker would be well over £45k..?

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty Re: Future Products

Post  calimods on Wed 29 Jan 2020, 4:31 pm

I would fancy a Burrell wagon or an early type Foden Wagon in 4'' or 6'' scale

calimods

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

future products  - Page 2 Empty A scale Stones steam turbine generator

Post  MikeBelham on Sun 17 May 2020, 10:32 pm

Having read through all the ideas a 4" scale Stones steam turbine generator would be really great, if connected to a 12v car alternator it could power the orange globe light on the move, also, in conjunction with an inverter it could produce 240v mains. We live in a village and when its stormy we sometimes lose power, so a steam powered generator would be a bonus
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  andysleigh on Mon 18 May 2020, 3:53 am

something aveling

a 4" marshall s type convertible traction engine/ roller.
2 sides of the market with one stone.

some kind of railway engine. maybe vertical boilered for ease.

also a new website, the current one is not the best to navigate and everything is massive.
the old website was much better, and easier to see everything
andysleigh
andysleigh

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire on Thu 21 May 2020, 10:58 pm

Well it's my first time on here in 4 years at least but been reminiscing about Blackbeard and looking at Tony, Rob, Lynn and Nick's progress amongst other things.

The A&P ploughing engine suggested actually exists in a pair of full size ones at the Thursdford collection in Norfolk so there is a physical example to go and measure up/ photograph.

Also , the Marshall S Type is a good shout as Will has access to one and certainly knows his way around one. There are actually drawings available for one in 3" scale that used my roller as the basis. This could satisfy the desire for a 3" scale model in roller or vegetable Tractor form. It could also provide an easy scale up to 6" and make an interesting Tractor. The valve gear alone would make it interesting and it is a piston valve engine.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 935
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2