Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regulator Rod Fitting

3 posters

Go down

Regulator Rod Fitting Empty Regulator Rod Fitting

Post  elwood-59 Sun 25 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Hi all,

Being in the process of adding the last bits and bobs to my Pied Piper for first compressed air test I came to installing regulator rod and lever. With lever istalled the other end on the cylinder does not fit to the regulator valve rod without bending.
As the rod rests on the front spectacle plate I tend to think that something is amiss. The regulator is at it‘s correct position cannot put it any higher, nor the rear spectale plate. The front one also seems to sit correctly and the cylinder - well - that ought to be right. I have not mounted the regulator support bracket as it would make matters even worse, if anything.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Regulator Rod Fitting Empty Re: Regulator Rod Fitting

Post  lynnr Sun 25 Aug 2019, 6:32 pm

Have you cleaned up the faces where the regulator mounting bracket goes in the the back plate. A couple mm too low here would put a bow in the rod at the hoop on the forward spec plate. Mine rubs but is basically straight.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 25 Aug 2019, 7:23 pm

Hi Lynn,

yes, tried that, even went out just now to grind down any surplus paint on both rear and front spectacle plate where the regulator bracket rests resp. where the rod touchs front spectacle plate. no improvement. The cylinder end of the rod still is about 10mm too high.

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 25 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

Hi Elwood
I turned the clevis at the regulator 90 degrees so the pin goes across instead of top to bottom.
You can then after loosening the regulator nut turn the regulator shaft to Match.
This allows for a small bend in the regulator rod to give the desired clearance job done.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sun 25 Aug 2019, 9:09 pm

Hi Simon,

actually I first had the cylinder side clevis the way you suggested, but looking at the drawings i chsnged to design I see your point with clevis pin being horizontally to avoid vertical force on regulator valve rod. But i thought that the rod itsejlf shoud not be bend and concentrated more on solving that.

So I take your rod is not straight either?

Thanks

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down