Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RH gearing

3 posters

Go down

RH gearing Empty RH gearing

Post  Lufccrowther Thu 06 Jun 2019, 7:20 pm

Hi all, everything is going well since I've had the boiler delivered and im now just trying to add the gearing onto the 2nd shaft and rear axle. The problem however is I can't get the Rh wheel in and there's a fair bit of play between the RH final drive spacer and the final drive gear. Can anyone help? Also where abouts does the diff washer go exactly, I tried to put it at the end on the RH side but the CS Allen bolt does go in as it's too short.
RH gearing Img_2010
RH gearing Img_2011

Lufccrowther

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-09-20

Back to top Go down

RH gearing Empty RH Gearing

Post  hydro9 Fri 07 Jun 2019, 1:27 pm

I'm not exactly clear what you're struggling with regarding the differential, but I am able to contribute to your concern with rear axle end float.
STW provide an additional 6mm thick spacer (BU41871) to take up the end float in the rear axle. They show this spacer fitted between final drive gear and RH wheel hub.
Unfortunately, I found that this additional spacer was much too thick, and with it fitted I couldn't fit the wheel retaining pin.
I needed about 4mm rather than their 6mm. So I fabricate 2x 2mm spacers out of some steel sheet material I found in my scrap box.
After some experimentation I decided to fit them one at each end of the axle tube. This provided better alignment of the final drive gears with the gears of the second shaft. I'm sure every engine is slightly different, so where the gap is removed will need some trial and error. It doesn't really matter where you take up the slack, but it is important to remove most of the 'float' otherwise on rough ground driving you do hear some awful knocking noises.
Hope this helps
Chris

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

RH gearing Empty Re: RH gearing

Post  Will@STW Fri 07 Jun 2019, 4:17 pm

Hi Luke

I would say that it looks like your gear teeth have possibly been machined incorrectly. If you would like to send the Inside Bevel Gear (BU41701) back to us at STW, we can machine a couple of millimeters off of the boss that sits against the hornplates, this will allow your final drive gear to move across slightly and that should give you the room you need to put the wheel on. (If you would like us to arrange collection of the part then please let me know and I will ask rosemary to arrange that with you).

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Lufccrowther Fri 07 Jun 2019, 7:26 pm

Thanks both for your help.
Will, will STW be at Banbury rally this year? It might be easier to give it to you there or even have a look at it all to diagnose the problem.
If not, I would like to send it back to you after bloxham as it would still look good at the rally.
I did manage to assemble the rear axle last night an hour after I sent my last message but whether it is in the correct manner or not I don't know( there is still a bit of end float between the final drive spacer) But all I can say it does look good now they are on😁RH gearing Img_2012

Lufccrowther

Registration date : 2017-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 07 Jun 2019, 8:31 pm

Hi Luke

If you can get the right wheel on with the retaining collar then you shouldn't have a problem, you will just need a spacer to get rid of the end float. I'm afraid we won't be at banbury this year. The only show the stand is going to this year is GDSF.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Lufccrowther Fri 07 Jun 2019, 8:56 pm

Ok that's fine then. Thanks for your help. I shall see you at Dorset then

Lufccrowther