Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April, May, June 2019 production photos.

+9
BurrellSimplicity
NorfolkModelSteam
Will@STW
Goliewogs
Heavyhaul
Mark the spark
bazzer
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
craig@STW
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Empty April, May, June 2019 production photos.

Post  craig@STW Sat 06 Apr 2019, 10:03 am

new quarter, new thread. again for anyone who is wondering, i do this to make it easier to find images in the future.

hectic week in the factory with a new machine coming in, boiler inspection and the rebuilding of one of our control models !!

yes thats right, the roller control model is nearly done on a complete rebuild. Why?? well the boiler it was built on was only a dummy shell. with customers boilers being priority the roller control boiler was never finished...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. I8i19uX

April, May, June 2019 production photos. WK7Zi9U

but now, thanks almost single handedly to will, its almost back together on its real boiler...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. XozegFK

back to production, 6inch cylinder blocks have been delayed on the 4th axis due to the second and third prototype of the dynamo parts. Mark also realized that the last time these were done they were NOT done on the 4th axis !!! so he's now busy merging 6 separate programs into one !!!

April, May, June 2019 production photos. NufHtYM

yes thats right, the new showmans dynamo parts are on the 3 prototype. the second one you saw last week and had all the cooling fans on, but there was a problem with the magnet polarity on that one !!?? so the 3rd one has been made and as far as im aware is working fine...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. ItFITYJ

the new batch showmans customers will be getting kit 3a next week, its 99% done now and is being packed as i type... yes, even on a saturday !!!

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 4qxZPV1

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 5NQ20sU

April, May, June 2019 production photos. W0ocfum

6inch foden springs are being cut. don't think these are needed just yet, but getting them cut drilled and rolled means they can go off for heat treating...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. OkQRgXa

for some reason ive been asked to make more gear change levers !!!???  Laughing

April, May, June 2019 production photos. I7rX6oy

we dont make these anymore, they are bought in...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. CfDHZwv

April, May, June 2019 production photos. VM7TWQ1

but i do have work to do on these, although they are standard BU parts they could be for any number of kits ??!! Shocked

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Ag6ENQt

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 9dhJYQj

and i have a new batch of SCC weigh-shaft bracket castings to work on...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. JdWBVmz

and yes, we have had a large batch of boilers inspected. so many in fact that the inspector ran out of time and is coming back on Wednesday to finish the job  affraid

April, May, June 2019 production photos. KliOxAa

April, May, June 2019 production photos. KATrDRH
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Empty Re: April, May, June 2019 production photos.

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Sat 06 Apr 2019, 11:21 am

craig@STW wrote:

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 5NQ20sU

What are these?

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Empty Re: April, May, June 2019 production photos.

Post  bazzer Sat 06 Apr 2019, 2:36 pm

They look like generator mounts to me.
bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 06 Apr 2019, 3:07 pm

Correct

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 12 Apr 2019, 3:45 pm

really quick update this week as im busy playing with the new machine Laughing Laughing

main focus this week in the machine shop are the showmans rear hubs, left and right hand side...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. TLdU4Af

April, May, June 2019 production photos. MSsUoA6

and the inner and outer hub covers...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. JXG1KnK

April, May, June 2019 production photos. FVQKUYr

and the control kit going together...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Gh8wbiV

also just making a start on a load of crankshaft bearings. these will cover showmans and standard 4inch Burrel...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 2BCvHfN

im hoping to do the majority of these bearings on our new machine, but the very first job on it will be the new centers for the showmans dynamos...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. BjXPgR3

after a couple of days of training the machine is now free to start playing with, im in the middle of setting it up now...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. ZJylXvo

what a difference to see a clean machine in an STW photo !!!! Laughing  Laughing

April, May, June 2019 production photos. UC8cR52

April, May, June 2019 production photos. X0JM1jq

so things are finally looking good for this kit and it should be with people this month...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. ZvKEMGI

and in the welding bay... the start of some 6inch foden truss rods, to go with the boilers.

April, May, June 2019 production photos. DjN9poU

more posts maybe next week, maybe a video of the new machine... but for now im off to play Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Empty Production April, May and June

Post  Heavyhaul Fri 12 Apr 2019, 5:33 pm

Hi Craig,
Many thanks for the weekly updates, the new machine looks a great bit of kit enjoy yourself having a play.

Kind regards
Steve (Heavyhaul)

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 12 Apr 2019, 11:13 pm

Thanks for the update Craig
REALLY looking forward to getting the last kit Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mark

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 13 Apr 2019, 7:31 pm

spent the morning on the new machine, basically setting up the program for the showmans dynamo magnet holder and playing around getting used to the editing functions...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. YlXAzDp

well its all set and no problems or crashes Laughing Laughing want to spend a little time on monday trying to speed things up a bit...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Z3nGaPn
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Heavyhaul Sun 14 Apr 2019, 3:11 pm

Hi Craig,
The new machine looks good would be nice of some video maybe in next weeks update, showing the "Showman's Dynamo" centre's being machined.
Can't wait to receive this last kit so i can finally finish my model and then start building the second one.

Kind regards
Steve (Heavyhaul)

Heavyhaul

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 19 Apr 2019, 2:57 pm

not a true production update this week but i do have some video of the new machine for you...

now, this was filmed using my phone so its not top quality and the sound keeps dropping, probably because i had my finger over the mic  Very Happy  Very Happy  Embarassed
also a lot of the noise is not coming from the machine. the sound you can hear in the first section, like a mad Bee on a moped, is the boiler maker preparing boiler plate with the "nibbler".

nice to have a clean machine at STW, it basically like our old machines with a few extras and reads the exact same code, in fact this program was first used on our old 4th axis machine to make the prototype rotors...

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sun 28 Apr 2019, 11:37 am

No production photos/update this week either?.....!

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Mon 29 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

Goliewogs wrote:No production photos/update this week either?.....!

I'm Afraid we are all busy running around like headless chickens at the moment, and Craig had to go home Friday afternoon. I can tell you that Ian has been working on wiring kits, I saw Jack adding threads to some gear change levers, the roller gear guards have been assembled and tested, and we are currently finishing off the rest of roller kit 18. I'm afraid I can't tell you anymore than that, But we will endeavor to keep you updated as best as we can.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Tue 30 Apr 2019, 8:44 am

Yes, I guess you guys are always busy and up to your necks in it - I along with many, many others appreciate that! Obviously, the weekly update/photos take bottom priority but it is always nice to see them and something to look forward to at the end of the week! sunny However, I must take this opportunity to thank you for the usual updates and photos, which I find always so interesting, as it is something which really you are not obliged to do but the little 'extra' is always appreciated!! Many thanks again!!

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Wed 01 May 2019, 4:48 pm

Hi guys
Any update on the last showmans kit please?

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Thu 02 May 2019, 8:41 am

Mark the spark wrote:Hi guys
Any update on the last showmans kit please?

We are tried a new prototype yesterday as the last one was getting too hot, but we believe that the heat problem is now solved (it will get much hotter from the heat of the engine than it will from being used). So we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 03 May 2019, 4:19 pm

im back !!! yes we have photos this week. been a bit to busy to worry about photos over the last few weeks as the bank holidays and a half day last friday have really cut time down to a minimum. we also have the new machine to get used to and another machine that is having a bit of TLC at the moment.

most of this week has been spent on crankshaft bearings, both showmans/roadloco and standard Burrell. ive put the new machine to good use on these and its nice to see the kind of finish that a brand new machine can get. its also a bit quicker than the other 20 year old ones.

blocking out the bearing segments from slabs of bronze...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 7ttLADR

the segments slip into the fixture that basically has a cut out that matches the bearing housing.

April, May, June 2019 production photos. CmB4f5Z

on the final op they are machined in sets and kept in those sets...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. KhtgMXF

the bearing on the other side is in two halves. these two halves actually start out as one part, extended down the middle with a 6mm flat, these are then machined down the middle with a 6mm slot mill to create two "true" halves. these are then held together in a jig and the outer surface is turned on the lathe. they then go in a vice, just like the square bearings, and the final bore is done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Zk3Rnre

im now working on the standard Burrrell bearings...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. RlbTLNF

April, May, June 2019 production photos. GHft0ya

something for the roller people, brake drums. the next kit is due to go out next week...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. YpaFyWM

fitted to the newly rebuilt control model...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. OAk3cwP

6inch foden cylinder blocks are finished. these are being packed as i type...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. K5ilQfX

other jobs on the machines include showmans/roadloco brake arms...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. BlpTPkZ

and 4inch Burrell flywheels...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. UAD6oxy

and manual work includes the finishing off of the lyka wiring looms...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Y7Bb0Xq

April, May, June 2019 production photos. UdmAmwV

the showmans dynamo kit is nearly done. the magnets are being glued in the centers, and i have just finished some brackets for the mounting plates.

and yes, our big machine is down at the moment, whilst cutting the showmans/roadloco rear hubs a couple of weeks ago it started making a strange noise when moving on the X axis. after pulling the guide covers back we found loose ball bearings !!! yes a bearing under the table had collapsed !! it currently in bits with the table off... not a small job but needs doing, we cant risk it not running true or doing more damage to itself .
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Thu 09 May 2019, 5:10 pm

Hi guys
Do you think the last showmans kit will go out this month?

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 10 May 2019, 11:43 am

Mark the spark wrote:Hi guys
Do you think the last showmans kit will go out this month?

Hi Mark

That is currently the plan, we have tested three different designs, we have added a new fan and it appears to be working well.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 13 May 2019, 7:35 am

late update this week. i was too busy to stop on friday and spent all saturday morning cleaning and re-mounting our fixture table on the large machine.
thankfully its all fixed and ready to go today...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. E0VUTax

very quickly, the machines are focusing on the showmans/roadloco crosshead, slide bar and con rod kit. we will also be starting on the 6inch foden motion kit today...

crossheads...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. S53nhEV

April, May, June 2019 production photos. IpGJr4G

slide bars on the new machine...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. OTLtt1B

April, May, June 2019 production photos. B4i0apP

conrods, the first op on these is not easy...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Zz1Cqv2

April, May, June 2019 production photos. VXJ69LF

also doing some rear hub caps for the next rear wheel kit...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. UVBi4Wb

and manual are working on the lyka boiler fittings kit...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. JHXlXKv

and the last showmans dynamo kit seems to have got lost in the manual section. believe me its as frustrating this end as it is for you. maybe someone will like to offer an explanation later ???
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 17 May 2019, 4:18 pm

having problems with the PC at work and now run out of time... will post photos later at home
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sun 19 May 2019, 9:24 am

this weeks photos... at last. having trouble with google chrome on the pc at work. tried using another browser but can't remember my log in details for the image site Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad  so posting from home Cool

machines are focusing on the showmans/road loco con-rod kit and the 6inch foden motion kit.

showmans/road loco con-rods turning nearly finished...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Sj4LMWz

cross-heads are done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. QQ1xNgc

and slide bars, nice finish from new machine...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. WbhEfjr

6inch foden expansion links...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. S2LNCQA

lifting arms on the new machine...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Cf2AIoj

need to make around 80 of these...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. EvuBVVP

and making a few more showmans/road loco rear spokes. always counter-sink the spokes on the machines. it takes about 40 seconds to do four...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. SCk50MU

showmans/road loco cylinder block castings finally with us...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. Nxjstz5

6inch foden rear spring sets...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. 5GQXntJ

and our new welder is constructing his first boiler...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. BaHdl5J
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Heavyhaul Mon 20 May 2019, 6:52 pm

Hi Craig,
What's the latest with the last showman's kit, you said in a previous post that the final dynamo kit had been lost in the manual department. Has this issue been resolved and the kits now ready for despatch.

Kind regards
Steve Honey. (Heavyhaul)

Heavyhaul

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 21 May 2019, 8:30 am

Heavyhaul wrote:Hi Craig,
What's the latest with the last showman's kit, you said in a previous post that the final dynamo kit had been lost in the manual department. Has this issue been resolved and the kits now ready for despatch.

Kind regards
Steve Honey. (Heavyhaul)

Ian has said he can improve the cooling of the new dynamo even further than he already has. He is attempting to put an extra fan on to help draw the air past the dynamo. How far he has got with this, I couldn't tell you. He will hopefully have an update for us in the next day or so.

Thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Thu 23 May 2019, 4:15 pm

What do you think the chances of getting this kit before the end off May?

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 24 May 2019, 1:02 pm

Mark the spark wrote:What do you think the chances of getting this kit before the end off May?

I'm afraid I couldn't really say to be truthful Mark. We had a prototype ready, but during testing we found a minor issue that needed to be ironed out. Me and Ian will be fitting the next prototype to the showmans here at the factory, and running it sometime next week. Hopefully once that is done we will be able to complete the kit.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next