Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing from home

+6
John Bull
lynnr
Mark the spark
NorfolkModelSteam
Ian
Simon C
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Missing from home - Page 3 Empty Re: Missing from home

Post  Will@STW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:50 pm

Hi Simon

The gear changer was in that kit, but due to it not being ready in time we decided to move it to the last kit.

The roof is going ahead, and will be the next thing we need to order from the woodworkers. Unfortunately we haven't been able to crack on with making it as we have been trying to make progress on the lyka kits first because we have been falling behind. The drawings for the roof are all done though, so should just be a case of making the parts and testing them to make sure they fit.

Many thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 12 Jan 2020, 9:57 pm

Thanks Will
just one other thing I found was BU42322 in kit 22A its the pivot pin for the whistle arme, it is mentioned on the iso but its not on the Bom so has been missed out.
I dont need this part myself as I have used a split pin however others may need it.
Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Sun 12 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm

Hi Simon

Thanks for letting us know, I'll look into it tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Ethancasey89 Sat 08 Feb 2020, 10:41 am

Hi Will
Just wondering if you have any idea on when we are all likely to get the last kit. I’ve seen you got some casting come in the other day on Facebook but curious to when they are going to be sent out.
Thanks in advance

Ethancasey89

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Sat 08 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm

Ethancasey89 wrote:Hi Will
Just wondering if you have any idea on when we are all likely to get the last kit. I’ve seen you got some casting come in the other day on Facebook but curious to when they are going to be sent out.
Thanks in advance

Hi Ethan

As Craig has said in his production photos thread on here, some of those castings were just not up to the job, they looked awful and to make them work properly would cause them to look even worse! However, those castings are not part of the last kit itself, and will be made rather quickly if we fabricate them. So we are going to send out kit 19 in the next week or so. If it is within the next week then there will be some components missing (the springs for the scraper bars which are on order and should be complete by Friday the 14th, the gear change bracket which Craig is fabricating this weekend, and the gear changer top plate, which can't be proven until we have the bracket). These items will follow a week later if that is the case. otherwise the whole kit including those parts will go out in just over a week. Items like the steering worms and worm wheel will follow a few weeks later (having been checked that they are correct first). The Steam heads and check valves will go out as soon as they come in as we had a couple to try on the control model, and so are proven.

Many thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 22 Feb 2020, 7:37 pm

Well the last kit (almost) has arrived scrapers, small weighshaft bracket, eccentrics, gear change etc.
I decided to start with lapping in the eccentrics so after removing the crankshaft from the engine so I could clamp it in the vice, no mess on the paint that way.
First and most important part was pop marking the individual parts before taking them apart that way they will always stay together and in the same orientation.
Missing from home - Page 3 RNsHwd4l
This one is number 3 and will be connected to the water pump shaft.
After putting the 3 parts of the eccentric set together and mounting in the vice.
Missing from home - Page 3 6kFAxW6l
It was not possible to turn at this stage so I had to come up with a little mechanical advantage made from a short bit of flat bar.
Missing from home - Page 3 JjTrZU4l
I drilled 2 holes in the flat bar to fix it to the eccentric strap using the 2 M6 threaded holes where the eccentric rod will be attached later.
After applying some lapping paste to the inside of the straps, and only lightly tightening the clamping bolts it was possible to work the eccentric back and forwards until it loosens up then gradually tightening the clamp bolts until fully tight.
A couple of re-applications of lapping paste and a bit more working and the required result was achieved.
A really good clean using cellulose thinners and flushing out the small oil hole using an aerosol brake cleaner is essential as leaving lapping paste in a bearing would not be smart.
Missing from home - Page 3 A3YgTLvl
The dull finish is a good thing as it gives the oil something to cling to.
well that was number 1 only 2 more to go before starting on the eccentric rods and expansion links.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 23 Feb 2020, 8:21 pm

A new day and a new challenge first job of the day was to get some color on the small weigh shaft bracket and whilst the oven was on the scraper parts as well.

Missing from home - Page 3 ZH9DTjml

So much for that job after a cupa and some breakfast it was on to the garage alchemy thing and blacking the bits that didn't want painting, mainely the motion parts turning bits that look like this.

Missing from home - Page 3 GekYCZCl

Into things that look like this.

Missing from home - Page 3 7kB8jFjl

After having my fix of hot oil smell It was time to put the bits together, fiddly at times but deeply satisfying.
A real smart cooky that invented this little gem.

Missing from home - Page 3 45jVoxjl

The reach rod was a little problematic due to everything being on the right on the roller it has become a little crowded in the area of the reversing lever.
after a lot of bending and shaping (sorry Dean "tweaking") I did manage to make it come together but the expansion link moves its full travel with only half travel at the reversing lever might re drill the bottom pivot point before I notch the quadrant to increase the movement of the reversing lever.
I managed to centralise the slide valve before the "feed me now" alarm went off so the covers went on, will resume next weekend and who knows might even get a run on air then.
Simon C
Simon C

Thunderbolt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ethancasey89 Sun 08 Mar 2020, 1:54 pm

With the steering worm and replacement water pump arm turning up we decide to have a steam up to test it all out. From as far as we know we are the first ones to be at this stage and have done our first 3 mile drive around. Thanks Will for sorting the pump out quickly it seems to work perfectly. https://i.servimg.com/u/f55/20/07/71/10/f361a810.png

Ethancasey89

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 08 Mar 2020, 8:42 pm

Hi folks
In the last couple of weeks since my last post I have been running on air and fitting the last few parts.
A slight hiccup with the water pump connecting rod meant that the 3rd eccentric could not be fitted but that has not stopped the air run.
With the arrival of a new pump connecting rod and the worm and pinion for the steering last Friday it was time to stop playing and start working on finishing.
scrapers first I dont remember seeing any isos for them so made it up as I went along.

Missing from home - Page 3 5qQGIRol

I have put the scraper to the front of the wheel the opposite way up to the one behind, I dont know if this is prototypical but if it is the other way up and gets turned by something on the wheel then it would dig in and ether bend something or cut the tyre.
Mounting the scraper blade below the casting in this way means that it is nearing the wheel centre height so if it accidentally gets turned in either direction it moves away from the wheel.
Ok steering worm and pinion gear this could have done with a little extra length below the collar to allow the backing nut to screw on by a full nut instead of the 2/3 that it has. It turned out to have a nice smooth action with very little backlash well satisfied with that.

Missing from home - Page 3 UrILoqEl

The gear selector was next on the todo list, had to remake the selector plate as the hole seen with the tap in it did not line up in the neutral position.

Missing from home - Page 3 WR5aH0Pl

once that was done then it was all polished and blued the same as the motion components.

Missing from home - Page 3 5qQGIRol

Finally I put the name plates on I have held back on this until completion even though I have had the plates since before Christmas call me superstitious if you like.
The plates were made by Steam plates ltd it was a real easy process a few Emails and the results can be seen here.

Missing from home - Page 3 UVoUSJvl

Just left with the job of getting her off the bricks and the boiler inspector booked then all being well road registration time.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 19 Mar 2020, 8:28 pm

Well I have had a fantastic day avoiding viruses I got Margaret Ellen out and in steam for the very first time today.

Missing from home - Page 3 WCTKN41l

Missing from home - Page 3 Y00ItAcl

Forgot to mention that these pictures were taken just after the boiler inspector had left.
His parting shot was "Your boiler certificate will be in the post in the next day or so".
Bringing on the biggest grin, so big it hurts and because there isn't any pain killers left on the shelves due to panic buying I will just have to use medicinal alcohol instead.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 19 Mar 2020, 8:44 pm

Brilliant job and a credit to you, really getting the steam jitters now, might have to fire up the Burrell soon especially as we've lost so many shows now Crying or Very sad

My inspector has his wagon all kitted out with inverter and printer, the full works and prints me a certs there an then, also prints two so I can send one off for the NTET Disk Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Thu 19 Mar 2020, 10:04 pm

Very nice

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 22 Mar 2020, 9:45 am

Having my own rally since most of this years are already canceled.

Missing from home - Page 3 RLWABm6l

Keep building folkes, and most important stay healthy and well.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 26 Mar 2020, 10:35 am

Hi folks
I remembered that some place along my thread I complained about the seat being two high for me and that I would post something later well both later and time have arrived so here goes.
the first part of the modification was to remove this bit from the top of the seat support bracket.

Missing from home - Page 3 VNqZn0fl

This then required the re drilling of the cushion mounting hole avoiding the web and angle iron hook under the bracket.

Missing from home - Page 3 3d5Rk8kl

After fitting the seat back on the engine I found it a much improved driving position for me.
However a second concern raised its head, as supplied the lower part of the seat bracket transfers the weight on the seat down on to the tow bracket and also onto the back of the tender.

Missing from home - Page 3 TpK31awl

This I thought would damage the Paintwork or even put  dents in the rear of the tender.
The solution I came up with was to put an angle bracket on the foot rest part of the seat.

Missing from home - Page 3 M8fBRjAl

Once fitted back on, the bracket is slightly away from the tender as can be seen.

Missing from home - Page 3 MYBjXI2l

Now with the seat on the bracket it no longer rests on the tender and my shiny paintwork is protected.

Missing from home - Page 3 3JtDmAWl

The observant amongst you readers will have spotted the deliberate mistake but so have I and yes I will drill it later.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 30 Apr 2020, 9:44 pm

Another modification made today.
I have found that the brake operating arm having no physical stop at the bottom of the operating screw could easily be wound straight off the bottom.
My solution was to centre drill the actuation rod and tap it out M4 Then using an M4 hex head set screw and penny washer a stop was produced.
A small dab of thread lock on the set screw after fitting should stop it unwinding.

Missing from home - Page 3 CECt3R9l
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 02 May 2020, 5:11 pm

Another modification today, after taking the roller on only its second road run I found a problem with the ash pan support pins namely one of the little beggars had escaped along the road.
After taking on water and coal I backtracked my journey and fortunately found the escapee in the middle of the road, thanking my lucky stars that a car tyre had not claimed the little devil I returned home.
I have had problems getting hold of the pins to remove them from the ash pan when they have ash on top of them, so this was my answer to that part of that problem.

Missing from home - Page 3 Y375NDXl

2.5 mm hole and a key ring gives something to grip on and pull the pin out.
It was then on to the escape problem, I remembered that I had a bunch of Terry Clips and that in the collection was 2 that were a perfect fit.

Missing from home - Page 3 QJsmtrxl

Secured to the ash pan with M3 screws just below the hole for the support pin.
With the pin in place il looks like this.

Missing from home - Page 3 ABqEEpfl

The key ring hangs loosely over the top of the Terry Clip and plays no part in the securing in place the pin, it is just used as a handle to pull the pin as and when required.
Have fun and stay safe
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 02 May 2020, 8:27 pm

Excellent idea, I've got one on the agri which keeps trying to escape, it has once but I heard it clatter on the road so knew something had fallen off and went back and found it.

Nice mod Cool

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Thu 18 Jun 2020, 9:52 pm

New mod
I managed a couple of miles on Margaret Ellen last week end and it gave me the usual case of grin ache.
Its a machine that certainly turns heads on the street cant wait until I can get on a rally field.
Any way the main reason for the post I have made hopefully the last modification to design first and most important welding up the loop in the adjusters.

Missing from home - Page 3 WVadEDbl

They had started to open slightly, next was cutting the steering chains off the adjusters the reason being that I am lazy and dont want to get spanners out if I can help it so after cutting the chain I used 1 of these on each side to re-attach them.

Missing from home - Page 3 KHMnTNZl
Missing from home - Page 3 0FOpnHql

Sorry about the quality of the second photo. When cleaning the tubes on the roller you need a 4 foot tube brush with about 8 joints to get it in to the tubes behind the front roll.
It was mentioned in the early build notes that lifting the boiler off the front roll might be necessary to give the required clearance, provision has been made to do this in the single bolt holding the roll in place.
When I tried this the first time the steering chains went taught and stopped the boiler and roll separating from each other putting a lot of strain on the steering chains.
The solution at the time was to undo the adjusters (spanner time) to release the roll but that meant adjusting the chains each time I brushed the tubes.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham Sun 21 Jun 2020, 12:23 pm

Simon C wrote:Having my own rally since most of this years are already canceled.

Missing from home - Page 3 RLWABm6l

Keep building folkes, and most important stay healthy and well.

Simon C

Wow, simply stunning ......... Thanks for the great thread
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 31 Jul 2020, 8:04 pm

Well as of this afternoon Margaret Ellen is fully road legal the V5(log book) and registration plate authorisation were waiting for me when I got home. went straight back out to get the roading plate made. I will be making scale black and silver plates for the tender and forks this weekend. now seeking a 1/3 pothole to mend, all around her home they would have no problem swallowing a bus.
Thanks to STW for producing such a machine.

Missing from home - Page 3 WCTKN41l

Missing from home - Page 3 Y00ItAcl
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 31 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

Looks great
I have just about finished mine now hopefully getting my Hydraulic and steam test next weekend . Just started on my roof today but waiting on more metal arriving

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham Fri 31 Jul 2020, 9:19 pm

Looking good Simon, enjoy Very Happy
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 01 Aug 2020, 8:29 pm

Simon C wrote:
Missing from home - Page 3 QJsmtrxl

Secured to the ash pan with M3 screws just below the hole for the support pin.
With the pin in place il looks like this.

Missing from home - Page 3 ABqEEpfl

Just to say the mod works great on my Agri, two 5mile trips out from home recently and no escaping pins cheers

Lost a rubber foot rest and a big end oiler cap mind Rolling Eyes although amazing found the oiler top a day later after re-tracing the trip on my bike, no sign of the foot rest rubber though.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3