Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Missing from home

+6
John Bull
lynnr
Mark the spark
NorfolkModelSteam
Ian
Simon C
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Missing from home Empty Missing from home

Post  Simon C Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

Has anyone out in roller build land found my three runaway holes?
They are small, round and probably look very lost and sad.

On a serious note the three holes for the step on my tender are AWOL, don't laugh Norfolk yours are missing as well has any one any idea as to the front to back position of the top step so I can drill new holes.
The ISO shows the step below the tank top rivet line, but to make things simpler for attaching the step I will probably move the step up above this line so the nuts are inside the man-stand area.
if no body can help with this dilemma then I will ring STW Monday and post my findings here.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Missing from home Empty Re: Missing from home

Post  Ian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

Well spotted, looking at the ISO BR407 sheet 3 of 3 will show you aproximately where the missing holes should reside
the dimentions are as follows, the forward most hole is 272mm from the front edge of the tender side and 197.2mm from the tender top edge, the middle hole is 320 mm from the front edge of the tender side and 199mm from the tender top edge, the rearmost hole is 368mm from the front edge of the tender side and 200.8mm from the tender top edge.

If you feel the need to place them elsewhere the 3 holes are 4.5mm in diameter, 48mm apart and in a strait line.
Regards Ian

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Mon 09 Apr 2018, 3:55 pm

Thanks Ian

I did think that I had found my original holes this morning but on closer inspection they turned out all to be just potholes, "tendering for the repair contract as we speak".
New question any body got any idea as to whereabouts I can obtain a tape measure marked at 197.2 and 200.8mm??? who new looking for 3 measly holes could be so difficult I bet great uncle Chas did not have this trouble.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:30 pm

Simon C wrote:Thanks Ian

I did think that I had found my original holes this morning but on closer inspection they turned out all to be just potholes, "tendering for the repair contract as we speak".
New question any body got any idea as to whereabouts I can obtain a tape measure marked at 197.2 and 200.8mm??? who new looking for 3 measly holes could be so difficult I bet great uncle Chas did not have this trouble.

Simon C

(tounge in cheek) easy get your old imperal feeler gauges out 1mm is aprox 40 thou 40/10=4 thou=0.1mm so 8 thou =0.2mm hold it the plus side of 197mm and mark it out, then hold it the minus side of 201mm and mark that out job done!
dont use metric feeler gauges as thats cheating and far to easy.

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Mon 09 Apr 2018, 4:36 pm

That will teach me not to ask flippant questions of the smart department.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Missing from home Empty This one is for Ian @ STW

Post  Simon C Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:15 pm

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home Jhb70DTl" />
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Mon 09 Apr 2018, 5:59 pm

I’m a few kits behind so don’t have the tender fittings kit as yet so thanks for the heads up! The blue is looking very smart! Are you going to be lining it?

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Mon 09 Apr 2018, 6:52 pm

Good afternoon NorfolkModelSteam

Yes I will be doing some very simple lining, but I am using the theory that rollers were working machines driven hard and not as loved as say showman's or road locos.

I have set out some lines for the wheel spokes but as yet haven't printed them out, I think that I will be using red vinyl to produce the lines.

At some time in the future I will lay out some lines for the front forks but that is when the TV is rubbish "like now".

I re-produce the outline shape of the part to be lined and then add the lines to that this means that I can see the finished result on the screen and scale the lines accordingly. you would be amazed at how much difference 1/2 a mill makes to the look of the lining.
Anyhow the decision to stick or paint has not been made yet but its academic relay as the vinyl can be used as a masking if going down the paint it root

I did line the showman's wheels with a Beugler but if you get it wrong the rubbing down and re-painting/retrying teaches you not to get it wrong twice.

By the way what is your name as calling you NorfolkModelSteam does not seem proper some how.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Missing from home Empty just in case you are wondering

Post  Simon C Mon 09 Apr 2018, 7:39 pm

The other side.

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home A6scLjFl" />
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 14 Apr 2018, 10:21 am

I’m yet to decide on lining, my painting ability is not great, painting the tender one solid colour has been bad enough! I’m hoping to catch up on kits to progress the build a bit more, will be nice to do something other than cleaning up spokes! My name is Greg and my Junior Engineer who is getting involved is Arthur. If you're on Facebook feel free to post pictures of your progress on my page Burrell Roller Builders Group as there are quite a few people now watching progress!

Best regards,

Greg

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 14 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

Hi Greg & Arthur

Lynn did a great set of how to paints over last Christmas (Getting itchy fingers I think)well worth a look and read, its all in the preparation and sanding properly between coats.
The one thing to remember is that the busier the striping is the more it leads the eye away from the base coat and some of the imperfections there on.
however as i said previously it is my belief that rollers as working machines would have been painted with less pride than the more showy engines and probably even done at the side of the road and hence not perfect in the first place.
My old man who says he can remember the council steam roller back in the day, remembers them as being all black and quite dull.
Going back to the lining and the amount used the more complicated the lines the harder it will be to touch up should and when the inevitable scratch lands on your engine.
I will post more pictures soon but I am working 7 days and long hours at the moment so my build has really slowed down, oh yes and as for spokes I also hate the little blighters and I have 8 wagon and 2 bowser wheels still to make up.

PS I don't use face book and with the present controversy surrounding it I don't believe I will be in the foreseeable future, "sorry"
Its taken several months for me to learn to post pictures on this forum and that is after a lesson from Lynn, a cheeky kid at work keeps telling me its because i am old.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Stephen Cosford likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Wed 02 May 2018, 10:00 pm

Very slow progress this last week or so due to work but as promised done a little lining

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home ZkBfESrl" />

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home 9ZnmciFl" />

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home E7pAoUYl" />

and also this thingy

Missing from home <a href=Missing from home V90kwyLl" />

A I said earlier on nothing complicated (easier to repair later after a few scratches).
Moving on to the roles next and that is a lot of spokes.

Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 26 May 2018, 10:34 pm

Hi Simon, got home to my kit today, the instructions say to use Instant Gasket - what did you use? I’ve googled it and there’s loads of options!!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sun 27 May 2018, 5:33 am

NorfolkModelSteam wrote:Hi Simon, got home to my kit today, the instructions say to use Instant Gasket - what did you use? I’ve googled it and there’s loads of options!!

Morning Greg
If that is for the tender fittings then I used ordinary silicon sealant from B&Q.
The trick is to smear a thin film of grease on one face and a thin film of silicon on the other. This will enable you to break the joint later Without much fuss just one caveat if you have not painted yet get paintable silicon or you wont get paint to stick at any price.

Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Missing from home Empty Up Date

Post  Simon C Wed 12 Sep 2018, 7:45 pm

Hi all in roller land.

Well its been a while since my last posting so I thought I would just update all on progress so far.
Last Friday at 17:00 this dam great lump all 95Kg of it arrived on a pallet on the biggest lorry ever to grace my street the neighbours not happy as they all wanted to go out at that moment in time silly them.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home MzinZnFl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home Yl5U7iEl" />
I Had a real busy Saturday as you can see.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home OSnhcN0l" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home WNnTFtgl" />
Sunday and Monday left for the paint to harden.
By Tuesday things moved on a little.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home 6BXbM7Ql" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home F5AG5uWl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home 1rjMHjDl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home BUIjuSjl" />
Sorry about the exposure on this last one but modern cameras seem to object to fluorescent lighting.
Just a little more progress this evening.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home DSNnKtMl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home PWneRPzl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home MsaiWttl" />
These last three have left me smiling so much my face herts, might just give it a rest till the weekend now but its going to be hard real hard.

Last edited by Simon C on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Simon C
Simon C

Stephen Cosford likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Wed 12 Sep 2018, 7:50 pm

NICE

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Thu 13 Sep 2018, 10:00 pm

Wow - that's quite some progress - looking good!!!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 14 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

Thanks Mark & Greg
hope to put the cylinder on this week end and probably the tender.
Just in case anyone was wondering I haven't put the cylinder on the boiler first as suggested in the build notes because I simply haven't painted it yet, but I did measure it before moving on.
Did you get your order in Mark and if so how is your build going.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:19 pm

Hi Greg
Well I have not orderd a roller yet as I have been waiting 13 months so far on the last two kits for my showmans and as a result not that happy

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:59 pm

Mark the spark wrote:Hi Greg
Well I have not orderd a roller yet as I have been waiting 13 months so far on the last two kits for my showmans and as a result not that happy

Its Simon
I also have been waiting 12 months for my dynamos, but having visited the factory I am contented with the knowledge that WE are not the only customers of STW and so WE are not the only problem they have.
The roller for instance is in its first production run and has its problems all be it small ones but they are getting sorted as we go.
The lykas are having a re designed boiler made etc. etc.
My engine is quite happy chugging about with no dynamos and as the casting is on the front no body as yet has said when are you going to finish it they just don't notice.
If you are as bothered about it as you seem to be you could always build your own dynamo internals that are sturdy enough to do the job and give it to STW for them to produce for us all.
My motto is if I had wanted to do things quickly then I would have brought a kit car instead of a steam engine.
Sorry if this all sounds like a rant, its not but have a little patience.
Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 18 Sep 2018, 8:17 pm

This took more effort than i thought it would thanks to a couple of screws that were a little short and a gasket that just would not cooperate.
First build it.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home WPfaQ4Rl" />
Then paint it.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home 7GqMrxql" />
Finally dismantle and then fit, being extra careful not to scratch all that new paint.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home BHn3CIYl" />
looks like a hedgehog stuck on top, I have now found something worse than building a tender or a belly tank, somehow 6 & 8mm studs are just a pain compared to 3mm slot-less screws must be all that double nutting.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Missing from home Empty A bit of a side job

Post  Simon C Thu 27 Sep 2018, 9:06 pm

Not much work been completed on the roller this last couple of weeks due to pony carriage building but that's for another web site.
I haven not been completely off the build however.
Any ideas as to what this little jigsaw will become?
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home H22KKCql" />
Does this help?
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home DELTZOPl" />
Needs this bit and some paint I think.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home I0mMjLxl" />
and the results.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home IDyddV2l" />
Just noticed how messy my bench looks DISGRACEFUL oh well to late now.
OK time to add this thingy the blue heat spots are were I welded the nuts on the inside of the tank to make assemble/disassemble easier later.
Thanks for the tip I found it on here I think from Lynn.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home TzLhYyUl" />
Stick them together and this was the result.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home RUJr2Dfl" />
Starting to look the part now, and its getting heavy but like a plonker I haven't weighed it yet (note to self get scales out tomorrow)
OK the finishing touches a bit of art work:- The Derbyshire ram, some werleys and a few words then out in the sun for a photo call.
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home EXVltNCl" />
Missing from home <a href=Missing from home PkSmGfJl" />
The observant out there will notice that the seat support is now missing I haven't destroyed it just built a new tow bar, I had the short length of 50mm channel in stock. The seat is not required as it will mainly be used with my showman's and that has already got a seat, if its required later for use with the roller then its just a case of un-bolt my version and bolt in the original.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 28 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

Looking stunning there.

Yes the weld the nuts on the inside of the tank is on my thread. Water bowser built in 4 days including paint at the time. My tank will get another rub down this winter and repaint as not happy with the finish last winters refurbishment.

I also put in wooden blocks between the springs and the axle shaft to lift the bowser up to a more level pose behind the showman and wagons.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Fri 28 Sep 2018, 1:13 pm

Thanks Lynn

If you can keep it a secret I can tell you its not paint on anything but the wheels the blue and black being powder coat. That leads me to the question how did you paint the wheels in 4 days?
it takes me around 8 days to complete them.

As yet I haven't hitched it to my engine so haven't seen the height problem you mentioned above because the engine is at the moment only a tripod and on an axle stand at a wonky angle.
Minor altercation with a kerb stone blame lies fair and square with the council for putting them around the streets.

How much does the bowser need to come up by? I will be waiting to see if the roller is the same height as the showman's and if not I am sure a compromise can be achieved.
I cannot measure the roller height as yet as I haven't put her bum on to date perhaps one for Saturday.
Simon (A fellow full roofer)
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 28 Sep 2018, 5:08 pm

Hi Simon

I used a "car touchup" spray gun for most of the engine including the wheels. The bowser wheels, wagons and front of the showman are all simple due to the single T-ring. The engine rears took a bit more planning to get a good even coat on everything but not impossible. Also I used 2 pack paint so it was 2 coats primer then 2 top coat. It was a spray to finish so I did not rub down between coats. The hardener used was the fast version so pot life was around 30 minutes in a cooled container. Once applied it was touch dry in 2 hours and handleable in 4 hours on a 15 to 20c day.

The roller hitch is, if I remember right, the same as the agi, so the bowser should be on the level. On the showman the hitch is higher due to the wheel size etc. I added 1.5cm as this set the height to be fairly plumb with the wagon rear hitch.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next