Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears

Go down

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Empty 4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears

Post  miller Sat 18 Jul 2009, 12:22 pm

OK, here we go with the first of our production guides and due to a little interest in this part we are starting with the cutting of the 4inch Burrell final drive gears. this time we will look at the right hand gear and hopefully I'll get some images of the left hand gear on the lathe for next week.

in this photo we can see the gears at various stages of production. you can see that the ones at the rear of the pallet have reached the end of the turning stages where Lee faced them off front and back, formed the "rim" and bored the central hole. they then went onto the milling machine to have the small mounting holes drilled by Mark. the webs and spokes are all part of the casting.

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work068-1

looking back at the photo, you can see the gears at the front have been "cut" and this is where things get a little interesting.

and here is the machine to do the job, a Maxicut 3A Heavy Duty Gear Shaper manufactured by Drummond Brothers Ltd. Ian tells me that the sheer size of this thing helps to make it very accurate.

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work080-1

below is the "Principal of operation" taken from the owners manual...

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Maxicut

this is a fascinating machine to watch, as the cutting tool slices through the casting as if it was made of butter. very basic compared to a CNC machining centre but very effective. the following video clip gives a very short look at the cutting process, edited to two and a half minutes. the full cycle takes around half an hour to complete. i apologize if the clip is a little blurred as YouTube seems to bring out the worst in video quality....

with the cutting complete, the part moves back onto the CNC mill where Mark has added a guide for the Key-way. the final cut will be broached by hand.

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work072-1

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work075-1

i should be able to get some images of the left hand gear on the lathe next week and then it's their turn on the gear cutter, this time stacked four high.

watch this space

Craig What a Face
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Empty Re: 4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears

Post  miller Mon 20 Jul 2009, 6:49 pm

unfortunately i was too late to get a photo of the LH gears on the lathe but i did manage to get a shot of them on the gear cutter, four at a time...

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work018

and the RH gears have had the key-way finished...

4 Inch Burrell Final Drive Gears Work022

Craig What a Face
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Tue 21 Jul 2009, 8:34 pm

well the kit is finished and i believe some were dispatched today, so you may actually have yours as you read this Cool

Craig What a Face
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down