Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller saddle kit

5 posters

Go down

Roller saddle kit  Empty Roller saddle kit

Post  Simon C Wed 16 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

Well hi all
Just returned home from Daventry with the saddle kit for my roller and boy is it ever heavy, 30Kg to be precise I now understand the packaging problems mentioned by Lynn above.

If your a believer that for £586 you should get loads of bitts you could be in for a shock , if you count all the screws individually then the kit only contains 8 parts, however its one hell of a lump of engineering worth every penny.

Seeing the control modal up close and personal today has made it even harder now to resist the temptation to start on my roller build. (Note to self : - MUST finish Puffy the showman’s before starting Huffy the roller)
Simon.
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Roller saddle kit  Empty Re: Roller saddle kit

Post  bazzer Wed 16 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

WOW, can't imagine you will be pulling any wheelys with that lump up front.
bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Wed 16 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

bazzer wrote:WOW, can't imagine you will be pulling any wheelys with that lump up front.

Not at all and judging by Lynn's photos the pivot is going to be a hefty lump as well.
I just hope the bedroom floor can handle the weight until I give in and start assembly.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 19 Aug 2017, 4:20 pm

Simon I'm pleased I'm not the only one with the roller still in boxes. lol.

Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sun 26 Nov 2017, 9:57 pm

Has anyone finished the saddle yet? I got mine this week and only just unpacked it, wow it’s a heavy piece of kit. What type of paint would you suggest for this? I used the Craftmaster smoke box black on the horn plates and the finish looks pretty good so I’m thinking of using the same on this part but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts......

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Mon 27 Nov 2017, 6:44 am

Hi Greg
sorry to say I still haven't started on the build, however I believe that a heat resistant paint will be required in this area.
I will probably go with Calfire StoveBright rattle can in satin black its not cheep but the coverage is excellent.
I have used this product on my showman's smoke box in brush on form and this is equally as good it also allows touching up on rivets, scratches etc.
Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 27 Nov 2017, 5:13 pm

Hi

I've cleaned mine up with a flapper wheel to get a more even finish as part of mine when it arrived had some angle grinder rash, then I've painted it with B&Q satin black BBQ paint the same as the smoke box, remember this bit will get really hot, with the name plate polished up it looks good. The other thing with this paint is that when you fit the boiler using the rivets and hand paint rather than spray the rivet heads the finish is really good and you can't tell the difference between the sprayed and hand painted bits.

I hope the above helps.

Regards

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down