Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build

+12
Simon C
Mark the spark
Steve Traill
elwood-59
ejparrott
Steve H
lynnr
JayBee
Robfishman
AlasdairM
LiveSteam
NorfolkModelSteam
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Empty Re: 'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Fri 07 Jul 2017, 7:00 pm

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_1610
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_1611
Progress has been extremely slow! Finally got a new workbench that is man enough for the job so have test assembled the first front roll. It's looking good but still quite a bit to do. Work, illness and two young boys doesn't leave much time for building steam engines!

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Empty Re: 'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build

Post  Steve Traill Fri 07 Jul 2017, 10:15 pm

Looks good, once the front rolls have picked up a bit of dust they will look just like the steel rolls on the full size.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:20 pm

Quite a bit of work done this weekend with a couple of coats of primer on the tender and work on painting the  hornplates getting underway! For those of you on Facebook I also post on there now and again under Burrell Rollers builders group.

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2411
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2410
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2413
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2412

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 16 Sep 2017, 7:41 pm

There's been quite a lot of progress for us this week with more painting and the building of the first rear wheel. All of the components so far are off to Model Engineers day at Forncett next Sunday and it will be great to meet up with other engine owners. My Junior Engineer is very impressed so far!

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2515
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2517
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2516
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2514
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 Img_2415

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 8:26 pm

Looking good I am still on the fence should I get one or not Question

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 16 Sep 2017, 8:33 pm

Mark the spark wrote:Looking good I am still on the fence should I get one or not Question

Have you already built an engine from STW?

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 8:43 pm

I am well on with my showmans
This is the first kit I have bought I normally build from castings but don't have much time now as I am building for other people now

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 16 Sep 2017, 8:57 pm

Mark the spark wrote:I am well on with my showmans
This is the first kit I have bought I normally build from castings but don't have much time now as I am building for other people now

In which case I'm sure you'd find it easy! I'm a complete novice and enjoying working on the engine and I think it's looking pretty good so far. My Grandmother always loved Road Rollers and bought a small Markie one thatI inherited; as soon as I saw the STW one I knew I had to jump in! The big problem is I'm already looking at the SWB Foden!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 16 Sep 2017, 9:38 pm

Mark
Stop beating about the bush! I was 10 months into my Showman’s (Puffy) build when I ordered the roller. The only excuse I needed was like a kid at Christmas I wanted more present’s to unwrap.
They did find this of some amusement at STW towers and punished me for a time with up to 3 kits in one month. Hay Ho beans on toast for a while will make me humble.

I haven’t started on Huffy the roller yet but I will have plenty to go at when the time comes I recon around kit 13 the boiler ariving will be a good start point.

Norfolk
The little fellow looks smitten with the work so far. Nice work wear he is modelling but the toe caps need a little work, the fury faced one guarding the wheel doesn’t look quite so impressed for some reason.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

I have to option on the last kit Dean is to let me know when its time to make my mind up . The problem is not cost its space I have a nice work shop but its not as big as my old one and it might be tight with a showmans and a roller but I will try to make space
I built the John Rex foden many years ago and it was a nice size and was good on the road

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

Mark the spark wrote:I have to option on the last kit Dean is to let me know when its time to make my mind up . The problem is not cost its space I have a nice work shop but its not as big as my old one and it might be tight with a showmans and a roller but I will try to make space
I built the John Rex foden many years ago and it was a nice size and was good on the road
Is this not what the dining room is for... workshop over-spill.
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:06 pm

Dam you all you got me thinking again lol!

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:09 pm

Mark the spark wrote:Dam you all you got me thinking again lol!
SORRY!
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:13 pm

I've just asked the good lady if we could find room in the house for another project....if looks could kill! I'm firmly out in the garage and there's definitely only space for the roller.....for now!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm

Well I don't have that problem any more cause I just got divorced Very Happy

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:18 pm

mezzanine deck then 600kg if its the roller 850kg if its the Showman's
Simon C
Simon C

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 16 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm

My wife bought my share of the house and I had a nice 3 1/2 car garage as a workshop
My new workshop is 1 1/2 car garage so every inch of wall space to shelved but I am still tight for space
But I think I might have to call Dean on Monday for a update on roller kits
As I said Dam you all Very Happy

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Tue 27 Mar 2018, 9:30 am

A fair bit of work over the last few days! Now have both of the rear wheels in build and have the final top coat of Crimson Lake on the tender. I’ve found the painting a real challenge but I’m happy with the finish I’ve managed!'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 87ea6b10
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 3a635d10
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 3dcc5910

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Mon 02 Apr 2018, 11:06 pm

Smoke box and chimney kit well under way today. Having a small person with skinny arms was very useful to get those little rivet bolts fitted!!

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 1c533310
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 F9aee510

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Tue 03 Apr 2018, 10:41 pm

It’s all gone together rather well!'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 6cf69710
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 81adbe10

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 03 Apr 2018, 10:48 pm

Looking good bet it is heavy now?

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Wed 04 Apr 2018, 9:14 pm

Mark the spark wrote:Looking good bet it is heavy now?

It is incredibly heavy! Hopefully get some paint on it this week and with the front fork coming at the end of the month it’ll be good to get the front 1/4 finished!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:26 pm

So it seems we’ve been putting lots of hours in and progress is still slow! Have dry assembled the bearing housings and crank shaft bearings to the horn plates and all is now fitting well after a fair bit of filing! The front 1/4 of the engine is all test assembled and fits together really well. It’s looking good and starting to really get an idea on just how big an engine we’ll have!

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 07c17b10
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 D0c52610

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 02 Jun 2018, 11:29 pm

A little bit of progress!

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Fri 10 Aug 2018, 7:34 am

Getting a good idea of how it’s all going to come together!

'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 2bb61510
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 19d41810
'The boys' 4" Burrell Roller build - Page 2 39411f10

NorfolkModelSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next