Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Differential Problem

2 posters

Go down

Differential Problem Empty Differential Problem

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 24 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm

Think there may be something wrong with compensating centre / bush. I've got a feeling that my bush BU41719 may not be finished as both ends don't look nice and sharp. They are a bit knocked about.
There is a small flange on mine at the diff lock end.The instructions state that the bush should be flush with the non chamfered end of the compensating centre. If I do this then the flange will be 0.5mm clear of the centre hub. If the bush is pushed all the way in with the flange bearing on the centre then it will project at the other end by 0.5mm. Not much I know but seeing other problems people have had with the differential I thought this might be another to list.
The ISO views given are not that clear and doesn't show the small flange at the diff lock end. A cross section through the diff would have been most useful and would have probably save a lot of questions.

Differential Problem Img12210
Section through diff centre showing bush.
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Differential Problem Empty Re: Differential Problem

Post  Simon B Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:25 pm

Hi Jim

On my differential I pushed the bush right the way in such that the shoulder touched the gear. From memory the gears bear on the bevel gears so if it shouldn't be an issue. The diff lock is an issue, both Chris X and I had the same issue that the diff lock pins don't align in either the engaged or retracted positions, I have yet to get the solution from Steve.

The other issue I had with the diff was that the inner gear rubbed on the tender straps and two other bolts, hence when the end washers and bolts were tightened up onto the shaft the diff kept locking up, I solved on problem only to reassemble and find another and then another.

Other than your diff issue I hope your build is going well.

Best wishes for Xmas and the new year.

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:33 pm

Thanks for that Simon. I now feel a bit more confident to proceed with the bush.
I thought it would be OK to push it up to the shoulder but best to check.
The build is going OK thanks. I really must put some pictures together.
Problem is nothing is completely finished. All in various stages of.

Best Xmas wishes to your good self.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sun 05 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm

First job in fitting the differential is grinding away a portion of the tender strap which interferes with the inner bevel gear. I put some valve grind paste on the back of the gear and rotated it so it marked the tender strap. I then ground out about 1/6" using the Dremel. Next thing I decided to countersink the top two bolts as no one will see them.
Differential Problem 20170210

Now with the inner bevel gear refitted I had 2mm clearance with the 2nd shaft housing so I turned down the hub of the bevel gear and I now have 0.5mm clearance.
Differential Problem 20170211

One of the reasons for doing all this was that the outer bevel gear was projecting from the end of the shaft. I didn't at first realise that the shaft end washer had a shoulder on it. I increased the recess and now have 15 thou (back to imperial) of end play. When it's all greased up should be OK.
Differential Problem 20170212

The next thing to do is to make a new final drive spacer 5mm longer to line up the spur and drive gear. I haven't looked at the left hand side yet.
Differential Problem 20170213

Good game this.
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down