Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instruction videos.

+2
Jim the Shovel
lynnr
6 posters

Go down

Instruction videos.  Empty Instruction videos.

Post  lynnr Wed 19 Oct 2016, 2:02 pm

Hi everyone

In the spring I am planning on doing a lot of instructional videos. Primarily to give me something to prepare for during the winter months.
Some will be short clips others will be longer in depth. I will be scripting so will include quite a bit of technical. The usual thing is people say do such and such but don't explain why.

Topic is steam engines.

So if anyone has suggestions for content. Comment below please.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Instruction videos.  Empty Re: Instruction videos.

Post  Jim the Shovel Wed 19 Oct 2016, 4:23 pm

Sounds good Lynn.
I for one who is new to steam would be very grateful for any advice etc. A series of videos would be brilliant.
I'm sure there will be a lot of people viewing your videos with varying experience so I guess going back to basics is the way to go.
Think it'll probably be better to have a number of short videos on various subjects rather than long videos covering many. Will be easier to take it in.
Good luck and look forward to seeing them.

Jim

Last edited by Jim the Shovel on Wed 19 Oct 2016, 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 19 Oct 2016, 11:39 pm

Excellent idea Cool

Well we've already had one person request a walk round of an engine explaining all controls and what does what, adding to that could be when to do what with what, this could be added to the walk round as links within the video to other short videos of those items in action, youtube allows you to put in video links to other videos which is handy for that aspect.

Of course one has to be on the ubiquitous injector, its use, how to use it, what happens when it wont work and how to get it to pick up etc, of course as we all know injectors can be funny things and quite often have a complete mind of their own Rolling Eyes

Something that I find always interests folks is actually how the stephenson valve gear actually works, the number of folks I explain how each of the eccentric rods act within the link and then on to the valve rod and how when in fwd one of the eccentric rods just idles at the bottom of the link while the other virtually directly operates on the valve rod and vicer verser when the reverser lifts the link due to the offset of the two eccentrics amazes them. Often I get folks thank me for the simple explanation of what appears to be a complicated process when its all whirling about.

A basic first steaming I'd think from filling with water, starting the fire, building the fire, oiling up, raising steam, managing water levels and steam pressure and shutting down and cleaning out. Thats going to be a fairly big one and might be best broken down.

Things to look out for and things to worry about and things not to worry about as much.

Of course I can see a possible problem STW currently has 7 or 8 variants in differing sizes and while majority of the parts are similar there will be bits that may be different or in a slightly different place. Then theres the whole thing that everyone does things slightly differently so what may work on one engine may not on another so it should be made in a very generic way possibly ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Instruction videos.  Empty Instruction videos

Post  poachermas Thu 20 Oct 2016, 8:31 pm

HI Lynn
Terrific idea,I would welcome any tutorials, being a complete novice to the world of steam,I echo the above comments from members of this forum.
Just an idea but maybe team up with stw and offer a instruction video to prospective purchasers, I'm sure it could catch on.
Marek

poachermas

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post  TomBreeds Agricultural Sat 22 Oct 2016, 8:55 am

brilliant idea lynn, few ideas like setting up bearings and possibly gland packings how to redo them and how to set them up Very Happy Very Happy look foward to seeing the videos
TomBreeds Agricultural
TomBreeds Agricultural

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:06 pm

TomBreeds Agricultural wrote:brilliant idea lynn, few ideas like setting up bearings and possibly gland packings how to redo them and how to set them up Very Happy Very Happy  look foward to seeing the videos

Now that is a good idea as from what I can see there is zero on the web about packing glands like the piston, regulator and water pump etc

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 23 Oct 2016, 12:45 pm

Gland packing instructions

http://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/gland-packing/fitting-instructions-for-gland-packing.html

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 23 Oct 2016, 8:27 pm

sonick45 wrote:Gland packing instructions

http://www.heritagesteamsupplies.co.uk/gland-packing/fitting-instructions-for-gland-packing.html

Well found there sonic, I spent hours searching for something like that Embarassed mind you I'd still like to see a nice close up intructional Vid on it.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 23 Oct 2016, 10:27 pm

Videos are a great idea. Ive grown up with traction engines and its easy to brush over things that become second nature.

Running one on your own without in depth guidance would be daunting to start with.

From pickling injectors to dealing with broken glasses with a full head of steam... what to do if you drop the plug. These are all valuable lessons.

My advise to anyone reading this who hasnt steamed an engine before is never be shy to ask for help or guidance from a club or fellow engine man. There is a lot going on when youve got a big fire and safties are blowing there nuts off.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down