Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lycamobile Trailer

5 posters

Go down

Lycamobile Trailer   Empty Lycamobile Trailer

Post  Grier Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:03 am

I have been thinking about the proper size trailer to haul the Lykamobile. If some owners would be so kind as to comment on their trailer would be much appreciated.
Best Regards,
Grier

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Lycamobile Trailer   Empty Trailer

Post  rene1746 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:54 pm

In the UK lots of motorhomes tow a trailer with a" Smart Car" to use when they are camping.Several different makes available, these trailers fit Likamobiles brilliantly

rene1746

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

Lycamobile Trailer   Empty trailer

Post  jjtjr Fri 19 Aug 2016, 12:34 pm

I purchased a trailer a few years ago for the car, here are some things I've learned, the trailer was 6' wide by 12 ' long and 7' high. The car just fit, but over time it got too small, you couldn't pass by the car inside the trailer, The length was ok but bigger would have been better. The height I thought was ok, but after adding the convertible top it would not go into the trailer until the top was down.
That trailer is now gone and I purchased a new one, this one is 8 1/2' wide 22' long and 8' high. This trailer kinda looks like a Nascar trailer with a tool chest, workbench, pit pal racks, jack stands and jack, 5 gal jugs of extra water and fuel, electric winch to pull the car in, fluorescent lighting and roof AC. I built it from just a white box trailer . The base price of the trailer was $5000.00. The trailer was made in N.C. The other stuff was added over time when I found it cheap so the cost was not over the top. The car stays in it all the time. This is how it goes to shows so all the things need are with the car. The car will be going to florida with me this winter. I will post photos.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Lycamobile Trailer   Empty Re: Lycamobile Trailer

Post  killjoy Sat 20 Aug 2016, 10:55 pm

I think a trailer like that would block most UK roads Very Happy , we tend to have ride on rather than ride in trailers.

killjoy

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  jjtjr Mon 22 Aug 2016, 12:51 pm

The distance is why the trailer, some of the events are 100+ miles away an at 15 mph you would get there at the end of the event.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Grier Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:03 pm

I think Killjoy was referring to an open trailer (riding on) versus an enclosed trailer (riding in). Thank you for all the replies..

Grier

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  jjtjr Wed 24 Aug 2016, 1:48 am

the problem that I have with an open trailer is the car would never survive because of the surrey top. it would be torn off at 60 mph
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Lycamobile Trailer   Empty Trailer

Post  AlanD Fri 02 Sep 2016, 12:38 am

I had the same thought and decided that my choice was between an unbraked trailer with a ramp or a small car trailer (braked), examples of each can be seen in Ifor Williams catalogue.

AlanD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jjtjr Fri 02 Sep 2016, 12:37 pm

That's a hard one to pick, from my experience with two trailers are. The first one was 12' long 7' wide 7' high a single axle with brakes enclosed with ramp door was, it trailed ok as long as the car you were pulling it with was large enough. The second trailer is 22' long 8'6" wide 8' high enclosed with ramp door two axles and brakes on all wheels trailed much better didn't sway. The car weighs about 1100 lbs. I pull it with a ford e 350 van. I like enclosed because you don't have to worry about the car inside, it's protected from weather and people.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down