Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike

2 posters

Go down

Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike Empty Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike

Post  ejparrott Mon 27 Jun 2016, 11:53 am

Question for the UK builders. Noticed a number of times people using Patio Cleaner to remove millscale from the spokes and the like. Great idea, got a few things I could use that for on my current 7.25" build.

Been looking around, we've got Wickes and Screwfix in Rugby, along with Jewsons and Travis'. Found a patio cleaner on the Wickes website that was Hydrogen Chloride based, but the reviews weren't at all positive, so I'm wondering whether that's worth bothering with. Can anyone recommend a solution to use? I've just done some steel fabrications for my rear cylinder covers and they need a clean, bit of a tricky shape to be getting in with files and emery, can't even get a shot blaster at some of it, plus we've only got fine grit at the moment.

Cheers
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike Empty Re: Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike

Post  the governer Mon 27 Jun 2016, 11:31 pm

I've used the patio cleaner (muriatic acid) and for removing the black mill scale deposits, it is absolutely brilliant. I use an old plastic photo developing tray, put enough in to cover parts, and just sloosh it every ten minutes or so, the scale just dissapears.

Mark.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike Empty Re: Acid cleaning materials, for spokes and suchlike

Post  ejparrott Tue 28 Jun 2016, 5:50 pm

Thanks Mark, a google of that takes me to B&Q, bit of a trek to them for me though, might try the Wickes Patio Cleaner and see what happens
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down