Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block?

+2
chas12154
SimonW
6 posters

Go down

What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block? Empty What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block?

Post  SimonW Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:49 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask what type/whos black paint others are using for the boiler and cylinder block?
I know it says it doesn't have to be heat resisting, and I used the Plasticote VHT paint on the smokebox and chimney as suggested elsewhere on the forum, but I just want a good quality brushable paint for the boiler and cylinder block...

Any info gratefully received...

Thanks

Simon

Surprised

SimonW

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-10-08

Back to top Go down

What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block? Empty Re: What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block?

Post  chas12154 Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:16 am

Hi Simon, I used a brush on stove paint on both. The boiler and cylinder block will get very hot so a heat resistant paint would be recommended.
I have used Blackfriar Heat Resistant Paint, I used a Matt black but you can get a gloss too. The paint is very thin, you will need several coats but it is dry in about 20mins, then ready to re-coat.
It's the best one I have found, after trying various makes.

Hope that helps

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block? Empty Re: What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block?

Post  lynnr Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:57 pm

Your block will only get to 193 at 180psi.

I use B&Q stove paint.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 21 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

Hi Simon

I used the normal craftmaster enamel paint. I was unsure so sought advice from HQ, hopefully it should be Ok as I've used the same paint albeit a different colour for the cylinder cladding, which touches and bolts directly to the cylinder, we shall see in a few months time Shocked

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Tue 21 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

Plastikote BBQ paint on anything that get hot or brushable high temp exhaust paint if you want to brush it on,works for me.

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:39 pm

Recently used this on the boiler and cylinder block on the Agri during a bit of renovating and I've been very pleased with it so far Cool

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-sp5-heat-resistant-stove-paint-matt-b/

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

What black paint for the boiler & Cylinder Block? Empty Thanks!!

Post  SimonW Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:02 am

Hi All,

Thanks very much for the advice.
Sounds like a heat resisting paint would be best for long term from what most of you are saying, so heat resisting it shall be!

A stove paint should do the job nicely....

Thanks again....

Very Happy

SimonW

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-10-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down