Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burrell Roller

+13
NorfolkModelSteam
Steve H
Robfishman
Steam Traction World
thehawk
Watts&Son
iain
hartshaulage
Julia
Tim Watson
LiveSteam
mikero
Steve Traill
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Burrell Roller Empty Burrell Roller

Post  Steve Traill Tue 17 May 2016, 8:34 pm

Just seen the advert in Old Glory, like the idea of a 4" roller, very few about & would really turn heads on the rally field.  Handy for the odd driveway job too! Basketball
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Burrell Roller Empty Re: Burrell Roller

Post  mikero Wed 18 May 2016, 8:19 am

Every cricket club should have one.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 18 May 2016, 10:11 pm

Take one 4" Burrell Agri and bolt in place of the front wheels

Burrell Roller S-l225

bounce

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Wed 18 May 2016, 10:45 pm

I wonder!
1, Is the roller to be a bit lower geared or the same as the agricultural engine?
2, Is the steering going to be lower geared as turning the rolls might be a bit heavy?
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Thu 19 May 2016, 12:04 am

Even with a roller on the front the steering still wouldn't be as heavy as a 4.5 inch Foden!!!

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Thu 19 May 2016, 8:50 am

Having built the roller, one could always chop the front off, add some twisted brass and convert it to showler with an STW Dynamo.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Burrell Roller Empty A convertable would make everone happy.

Post  Julia Thu 19 May 2016, 2:56 pm

I suggest STW consider the convertible format.  This would justify using most of the bits from an existing STW design unmodified (making Dean happy) and allow the customer to switch to rubbered wheels when they need a bit more grip.

In case anyone does not know this is what a convertible looks like - nothing to do with Dynamos!!!
The rolls would be swapped for road wheel when there was transport work and no rolling.

Burrell Roller Aveling-porter-convertible-lady-hesketh-at-2006-yesteryear-rally-hampton-c5g68c
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Thu 19 May 2016, 6:22 pm

Im sure ont he add it says the rear wheels and front rolls will have rubber tyres on them

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 19 May 2016, 7:46 pm

Tim Watson wrote:Having built the roller, one could always chop the front off, add some twisted brass and convert it to showler with an STW Dynamo.

Tim

Laughing Brilliant Laughing

But I can already invisage a huge thread about it on TT now Wink

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 19 May 2016, 9:36 pm

Miniature conversions, now there's a good seed for a discussion!! The word showler makes me shudder...... pale
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Fri 20 May 2016, 9:17 am

it does say on the advert the rolls will be rubbered

Have to say on a model I like the noise of the rolls on hard ground, makes it seem realistic, however on the full size I'm very happy that I got the rolls rubbered for the road!

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Burrell Roller Empty burrell roller

Post  Watts&Son Mon 30 May 2016, 7:47 pm

My son and I had a 3" Aveling & porter compound steam roller, lovely engine, but hard on the on the road, with no springs and rough roads it would have definitely benefited from the rolls being rubbered. I would be interested in building one must have a diff though.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 14 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm

Just had a mail shot (e-mail shot really) about the new 4" roller affraid bounce

Looks good and certainly not many model rollers about on the Rally field that I've seen.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Burrell Roller Empty 4" roller

Post  Watts&Son Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:21 pm

Any updates on 4" roller, when could production start? I am very interested, but not signed up yet. Thanks David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Post  iain Thu 23 Jun 2016, 8:57 am

last advert I saw was that 5 out of 10 discounted models were signed up for.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Watts&Son Thu 23 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm

Thanks Iain, hopefully there will more interest. I have a passion for rollers, we have built the road loco, the quality of the kits were brilliant and a pleasure to build. The engine is running very well. We would like to sign up but not quite sure what is going on, the forum seems to lack activity at the moment, but I am sure there is plenty going on behind the scenes. Have you signed up? Regards David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Burrell Roller Empty New Roller - Website?

Post  thehawk Fri 24 Jun 2016, 11:55 am

I have received emails telling me about the new steam roller but when I look on the STW website there is no sign of it.
So I had a look around the website and I rather think it needs a bit of a work over. For example, the 4inch Burrell and 4.5inch Foden products show the ability to download drawing e-files and view then on Solidworks viewer. I have the viewer on my PC but when I tried to download and open an e-file of one of the kits it tried to install Solidworks viewer again and anyway not all of the kits are shown to have e-files. If the drawings and downloads are not supported then they should be removed from the website, to save customer confusion! The STW shop has also been discontinued so, if there is no STW shop why have a webpage for it at all. Uploads on Facebook etc are much easier and quicker but maintaining a website takes a lot of effort so maybe something simpler and easier to maintain is required. Apologies for the whinge, but I can't help thinking that the website reflects poorly on STW and the long hours and hard work I know the folk working there put into their products.
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Watts&Son Fri 24 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm

I totally agree with 'the Hawk' there dose not seem to be updated information on the STW forum, as there was in the past. They produce such amazing kits, potential buyers will look on their website for information. Which at the moment are not updated regularly enough. I am not on face book, so I rely on STW forum for information. I would like to build the roller but I am a bit apprehensive at the moment.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:30 am

Morning All,

Great to see a thread has been started on the Roller. We are now up to 6 orders on the 'early bird' discount where customers can save up to £2000.

Pricing is below for those who haven't seen it.

Deposit: £648* (normally £995)
Kits 1 - 29: £529 each (normally £586 each)
Total: £15989 (normally £17989) saving £2000

The price above includes UK VAT but excludes delivery. Mainland UK delivery is sent by next day courier, is fully insured and costs £12.95 per kit.

*All we are initially asking is a fully refundable ‘holding’ deposit of £149. This shows us that a customer is seriously interested. The balance of the deposit of £499 is then only payable at the time we announce a production start date once an order book of at least 10 has been achieved.

Please also find further information below.

4” scale
2 speed
Single Cylinder (very slight possibility of going to give the option of an SCC version)
Working Pressure 120 psi (SCC 180psi)
Dished L/H Horn plate
Solid Flywheel
Steering as per original roller on LHS - Basically we are NOT just copying the Single Agi and adding rolls.
Sliding Fire door.
Optional Rubbered front rolls and rear wheels for smoother ride and better practical use on road runs. Included in price but customers can chose NOT to have them if they prefer. No further discount will be offered.
Based on a full size engine called Samson. (not an exact replica but based on it)

Some of the things still to be 100% determined:

Exact Length: 78” long estimated
Weight: 600kg estimated
Whether we supply a winch or not.

Kit breakdown is likely to be similar to the Kit breakdown on our 4” scale single but is still to be determined 100%.

29 Kits in total:
Kit 1: Front Rolls (depending on costing this may be two kits and become Kit 1a and 1b)
Kit 2: Front Axle etc
Kit 3 Smoke Box
Kit 3A Smokebox Fork Saddle Extension
Kit 4: Rear Wheel
Kit 5: Rear Wheel
Kit 6: Boiler deposit
Kit 7: Tender
Kit 8: Tender Accessories
Kit 9: Horn Plates
Etc etc

The reason further information is not currently available on the website is we are actually in the process of changing it to something new. We've had the current one over 8 years and although it has grown massively, during this time the world has evolved. The majority of people nowadays use phones or tablets which the current site wasn't and isn't really designed to be user friendly on, This means for the last 6 months we've been working on something new. This is not an easy task as we don't want to lose the wealth of information currently available so transferring it all over is time consuming. Additional to this, as with all our products, Steve doesn't properly start the design until we are sure an order book can be achieved. To complete a design takes around 12 months of his time and if we couldn't get it off the ground it's just 12 months wasted. We therefore give as accurate information as we can based on the calculations he's done and see how it goes. Current indications are very positive and I am estimating the first ten will be snapped up in the next 2 or 3 weeks. After this the price will increase and an approximate start date issued. I'm anticipating it is likely to be no sooner than October with the possibility the first kit will be delivered in January of the New Year. I'd like to think the order book would be minimum 20 by then.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:46 am

Edit from the last post.

Order number SEVEN taken over the phone this morning from a current 2" customer looking for the Roller as his next project.

Only THREE left at the early bird discount now.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Watts&Son Mon 27 Jun 2016, 8:34 pm

Thanks for the update Dene, the roller sounds good. Do you intend having a diff? As I stated before, my 3" Avelling roller skidded round corners unless one of the driving pins were taken out, obviously traction suffered as a result. Thanks David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:10 pm

I've signed up, was number 6, and looking forward to the new year. By then the showmans will be finished and I'll be looking for something new. 😃😃

Anyone else on the forum signed up yet?
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 27 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Hi Rob, I was number 7.
Took the plunge after much deliberation.Must try and get the 2", finished first have neglected it for a while,but keep promising myself to get started on it again,before I forget where all of the boxes are.
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 27 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm

Great, will be great to see the build diaries building on the forum. It's been a bit quiet recently. But then I'm guilty of not posting as well.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Mon 27 Jun 2016, 10:37 pm

I made it number 8! Spoke to Dean and paid my deposit this afternoon. This is the first STW kit for me so will be keen to see others build diaries as and when we start to receive the kits. Now just to sort out the garage, purchase a workbench and a few tools!

Best,

Greg

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next