Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad day at the Alford Works!

4 posters

Go down

Bad day at the Alford Works! Empty Bad day at the Alford Works!

Post  Alan Grant Sun 15 May 2016, 7:54 pm

Was working on the cylinder fittings today, in particular the regulator valve assembly. Managed to get the surfaces looking great using lapping compound and had a trial fitting to the cylinder. The four bolts were raised a bit too high and were catching on the regulator so I took them out and filed then sanded the top surface down so they wouldn't catch. All going to plan until I tried to refit the plate. One of the screws has fallen down the side of the cylinder and from looking at the drawings will now be sitting between the boiler and cylinder.
Now I don't want to take the cylinder off but I can't see any other way to retrieve the screw. Can the screw be left in place? I assume this would have no negative impact but just wanted to check.

Also when I was fitting the regulator rod, everything goes in fine until the last gland. IT looks like the hole through the cylinder is not 100% aligned with the gland and therefore the gland cannot be fitted correctly. Any attempt to put the gland in results in pressure being applied to the rod which means it cannot move freely. Has anyone else seen this and how did you fix it?

At the moment the piston assembly is not moving very easily but I guess i'll need to experiment with additional shims. The slide valve is moving easily though after a bit of work.

Bad day at the Alford Works! 20160510
Bad day at the Alford Works! 2016-010

Alan Grant

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Bad day at the Alford Works! Empty Re: Bad day at the Alford Works!

Post  Simon B Sun 15 May 2016, 10:46 pm

Hi Alan

I had the same issue with the screws being a bit proud so did the same as you, I would speak to Steve at STW about dropping the screw down the port.

My regulator rod was very stiff when I fitted the gland (without packing at this stage) all I did was polish the rod and then put a bit of oil on the shaft, I can now easily move it the full length of travel by hand. I've yet to fit the gland packing and will wait until the lever and rod is fitted and the regulator finally set up.

Best wishes

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Tue 17 May 2016, 1:41 pm

Argh that's a difficult one, I was very wary of that happening and so did those jobs off the boiler and have since taped it all up as I just know various items will gravitate towards that hole given that they can't be removed. If I remember correctly it's a stainless screw isn't it so not going to rust away and break up down there or anything, but I'd check with Steve on that one too. Fingers crossed you don't have to take the block off!

I too found the piston assembly setup very difficult and am still working on it to a certain extent as I have some clunking noises to get rid of at the end of the stroke when the piston changes direction. For me it was just a case of keeping at it because even just turning the engine over by hand while I worked on it started to free the pistons up, which then made it easier to judge when the slide bars were too tight. I did have to make a fair few extra shims though.

Chris
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant Tue 17 May 2016, 9:09 pm

Thanks guys, I'll give Steve a shout to confirm either way.

As for the piston assembly, i'll cut additional shims and take it slowly. Eventually it will all move freely i'm sure!

Chris, when is your next video going online? They have been a great help for me as i'm sure they have been for other builders.

Alan Grant

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Wed 18 May 2016, 8:27 am

I dropped one of the lock nuts down into the cylinder block of my Foden and left it there to rust, but somehow it appeared back in the regulator chamber again. I can only assume it got blown back up when I jet-washed the boiler out.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Grant Wed 18 May 2016, 11:47 am

Feedback from Steve is that it should be okay to leave in place.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Alan Grant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down