Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!!

+2
bjwlancashire
highpressure
6 posters

Go down

Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!! Empty Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!!

Post  highpressure Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

Just had a great two day event at the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum at Singleton. A good selection of miniatures and full size on display, and a great display from a working horse drawn steam fire pump coming into the ring at full cry to extinguish the burning sacrifice on both days. For us though the highlight of the event was the Sunday parade where after we had gone round the ring a couple of times we pulled over and doubled the engines up with a pole to then pull a full size GMT round with absolute ease!!!! Even the commentators said that they had seen a good few displays over the years but thought it was a great display and something they hadn't seen before. It really made the engines bark!!!

Unfortunately we didn't have any family present to record the event so if anyone was there and got any of it could they please email me or post it to the forum or on youtube.

highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!! Empty Re: Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!!

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:13 pm

Kev

Sound like a fisherman's yarn to me! Twisted Evil 

That would be something to see if there is evidence, a GMT is around 5 ton empty so is a reasonable load for you and Andy doubled up. Was the arena hard standing or grass? First gear or second?

Hopefully someone got it on camera, have a look on Traction Talk to see if there are any photos from that event. Alternatively put a post on To yourself asking for pictures or video from any members that may have got it.

How about trying to set the same thing up at Dorset in the play pen.

Looks like I may have to find something big to pull myself now.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!! Empty Re: Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!!

Post  lynnr Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm

I had a pull as well at Deeside Steam fair. I did a full pull on the sled. Beat quite a number of the tractors built specially for it.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm

Your more than welcome to pull the Tiger.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 18 Aug 2014, 10:45 pm

At the NTET road run? Blackbeard will be nicely warmed through after 28 miles. Might need Tim to help me

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 19 Aug 2014, 4:47 pm

Brian, fishermans tale my arse!! there was a ring full of witnesses!! It was GMT "Lion" which the driver reckoned to be 9 tons or so!! We were in first and on dry grass, no slip at all!! I did 5.7 tons two weeks ago at Lingfield with the dry ex Army firetruck but just wanted to be sure so got Andy involved, if it had been tarmac I would have had a go on my own. Phil Gomez may have been there but there was certainly members of the Chi Models engineers who got some pics, just need to get them to me.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 20 Aug 2014, 2:02 pm

ey ey, calm down calm down cheers 

Just playing with you.

Seriously though, a GMT was under 5 ton empty, make it a showmans and you probably add another ton and a half worst case. Add coal and water for another ton and you have a maximum of 7.5 ton. Must have a big crew onboard too. Fair play to you both whatever the weight, I wish I had seen it, non of the Showmans versions seem to be pulling anything apart from Lynn's tractor pulling exploits and this I do want to see more details. Wink 

PS Blackbeard is now heading to Dorset next week at Dean's request. Not to be steamed but go on the stand.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Andy and I pulled at the weekend!!!! Empty Showmans finished

Post  Steve Traill Wed 20 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

Dean's Showmans engine is finished, we're giving it a leaving Cornwall party this Saturday & loading it in the Van for Dorset on Tuesday.  Let's hope the weather is good.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 20 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

I have put out the call for pictures but none yet  Crying or Very sad 
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

highpressure wrote: and a great display from a working horse drawn steam fire pump coming into the ring at full cry to extinguish the burning sacrifice on both days.

Well I think I've found them  Wink 

Still looking for the "big pull"  Very Happy

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down