Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far. - Page 2 Empty Re: 2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far.

Post  LiveSteam on Mon 11 Nov 2019, 7:49 pm

IanR wrote:"Sylvia's" had 3 outing this year - Basingstoke, Amberley and last Sunday at the Sittingbourne and Kemsley Railway's end of season gala. Each time I'm learning a bit more how to run her and my driving skills are gradually improving.

And here you are at Amberley either watch it all or spool to 9:30 for your appearance  Cool  

When you look back at that chilly time we had at Bassingstoke you've really come on massively and should be really proud of your achievements, running a 2" takes plenty of skill, anything else will seem a doddle.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far. - Page 2 Empty Re: 2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far.

Post  IanR on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 2:07 pm

Well, I think this should be my last update on this thread. Over the weekend I fitted the last remaining parts and I can now consider her complete! Instead of the STW supplied whistle, I've fitted one from Macc models which comes complete with whistle valve. It's about 3/4" longer but looks OK on the engine and sounds really good. I just had to make a 1/4x40 - 3/16x40 redicing bush to fit it to the existing whistle pipe. I also gave up on the supplied governor kit and got this one on banggood https://www.banggood.com/Microcosm-P60-Mini-Steam-Engine-Flyball-Governor-Part-Accessories-For-Steam-Engine-Model-p-1346170.html?cur_warehouse=CN
It's pretty close to the right size. I had to separate it from its valve at the base. The base was a bit short making the pully a bit low so I made up a raised base on the mounting plate I made to fix on top of the valve chest.

I gave the engine a little run up to the corner of our street yesterday. Sorry no video of that. But here is a photo and a couple of videos taken in our driveway yesterday. Sorry about the quality of the video had to get my 8 year old to shoot it!
2in Burrell 'Sylvia' - Progress so far. - Page 2 Y4mShmZKLxFPwILa-kAYvsC-y5rY1SbfY2UWLnaTiZTY3RCrR5yspr6vOeXW2aSIhgAmxgPBJZVc5EjhDg5Bcs6n_yWXYynKxuDIOUXUsuHjzlXRWSCEiw7OyIDL17wNyBFEEBifiWJ29swMfMe0uD0eeJpj9Hw6GrEKcFVw-9x6tpkWKpmUWL7wpnqU9RWiQoUXABz6eJDkR3JVrFShoR2Uw?width=816&height=612&cropmode=none

Last edited by IanR on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

IanR

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark on Mon 01 Jun 2020, 6:04 pm

Well done

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Tue 02 Jun 2020, 9:03 pm

Excellent Ian, just a shame we havent got any rallies so far to do Crying or Very sad

So when you starting a 4" Wink

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 630
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR on Wed 03 Jun 2020, 9:39 am

Yes, should have at least done Bssingstoke by now. Will just have to try and get some running around home.

Would love a 4" but space a bit of an issue. Something 3" if they ever do it, a distinct possibility.

IanR

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum