Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts

+8
Tony King
bjwlancashire
CaptainClag
Capricorn1
lynnr
highpressure
Tim Watson
LiveSteam
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts - Page 2 Empty Re: Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts

Post  Tony King Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:41 pm

Looks to me your best bet would be go for the engine that's up for sale on the forum here, certainly the idea of cannibalising a Showmans control model "down to the standard" of a road loco would be a sacrilege!!  affraid  Sorry Brian!! Ha ha!!  Very Happy 

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts - Page 2 Empty Re: Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts

Post  mikero Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:51 pm

If you look at the photos of the 4.5 inch Foden control model they are selling Brian you will see that it is missing its towing bracket, guess where that is.

Mike Very Happy 
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:29 pm

Looks like we all get away with "borrowing" from the control models!!! hope you put it to good use at some point this year or you will have to give it back.

Yes, very funny Tony, at least mine has had a fire in it!!!!!!  Twisted Evil 
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:06 am

Tony King wrote:Looks to me your best bet would be go for the engine that's up for sale on the forum here, certainly the idea of cannibalising a Showmans control model "down to the standard" of a road loco would be a sacrilege!!  affraid   Sorry Brian!!    Ha ha!!  Very Happy 

Regards,
Tony

I have to admit your right, it wouldn't be right to take a showmans and then strip off all the goodness Surprised

I'm pretty tempted by the current engine for sale.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Sat 15 Mar 2014, 11:24 am

I was going to buy outright for the same reasons as you but found it difficult to find an engine I liked at the right price. I am pretty fussy when it comes to buying anything at all, so it always takes me a long time to commit. Obviously in the end I did decide to go for a kit (after a lot of fussing), and although I am looking forward to steaming I am enjoying the build and know it will mean a lot more to fire it up for the first time when I have put it together myself.
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sat 15 Mar 2014, 6:11 pm

"If I was retired and I could spend the time in the world building"

You are sadly mistaken if you think that retirement is going to give you spare time, it is just the opposite. People find you things to do because they think you might be bored, fat chance of that.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:22 pm

Wear the old ones out first!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:51 pm

I feel worn out now Sad

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Sun 16 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

The DCC control must have been built several times as I have had bits off it at a rally  Embarassed Embarassed 

I read your post Mr Wainright about stripping a showman engine down  Sad Sad 

Livesteam good luck with what ever purchase you make.

I was at my Brian M's last night, we have the engine in steam and his lights being generated....it was a nice evening the engine was generating for an hour of so not missing a beat. The engine was keeping us warm and did I mention we had a beer in hand  Cool 

That is what it is all about.

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Sun 16 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

You mean when we were doing this

Boiler life expectancy and do's and donts - Page 2 Photo_zps14351b73... cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers 

Seriously, it is a lot of work (for example, my non-return oiler failed today so had to be stripped down... Sad  but it is worth doing and you can get to enjoy the steam up

ATB

Brian
Brian M
Brian M

Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2