Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member of Foden SWB Forum

3 posters

Go down

New Member of Foden SWB Forum Empty New Member of Foden SWB Forum

Post  Old Down Trevor Fri 10 Jan 2014, 6:43 pm

Hello Everyone- I have recently signed up to the STW Forum since I am planning to take possession of kits 1 to 11 for the SWB on Tuesday 14th Jan.

I have some aeronautical, steam and model engineering experience which I hope will stand me in good stead. However I am sure there are things I will need help with. Thank you in advance those builders of this batch of kits who are in front of me and who I hope will be able to assist me with my queries.

My first question relates to painting of the chassis. It seems from what I have read that most people fist assemble the chassis major parts unpainted to see if it all fits then disassemble to paint the individual parts- my question is " why not paint the fully assembled chassis"?

Regards

Old Down Trevor

Old Down Trevor

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

New Member of Foden SWB Forum Empty Re: New Member of Foden SWB Forum

Post  SSGR Fri 10 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm

Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy building your Foden SWB as much as I am enjoying mine.

To answer your question, I suspect you could paint the chassis fully assembled. I found it easier to paint the parts individually before putting it together. I gave the chassis two coats of primer, two of undercoat and two of top coat and then a third coat after assembling it.

John
SSGR
SSGR

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sat 11 Jan 2014, 12:06 am

I is probably easier to get the mill scale off the individual parts first and then lay everything up with enough bolts to hold it together just to make sure everything lines up as it should. Its messy if you paint all the parts and then find you have to put holes in or move existing ones. My chassis was finished apart from the top edges of the side rails which I left in undercoat. This was in the sure knowledge that, no matter how careful you try to be, they are going to get dinged-up during the rest of the assembly. This, of course, has proved to be true especially dropping the boiler in with the crane and mounting the steering box. They will be finished before all the claddings are bolted on.

Good luck

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down