Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ardingly Show

+5
bjwlancashire
Tim Watson
highpressure
tractor mike
hippy dave
9 posters

Go down

Ardingly Show Empty Ardingly Show

Post  hippy dave Fri 20 Dec 2013, 6:03 pm

Hi all I have just heard that ardingly vintage vehicle show will be charging all exhibitors for camping at the 2014 show as a result the steam marshall has steped down, after the money we spend on our exhibits and transport to move everything and fuel costs to get to the shows I think its a bit of a cheek, don't think there talking a lot of money just makes you wonder if all shows will adopt this idea Mad 
hippy dave
hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Ardingly Show Empty Re: Ardingly Show

Post  tractor mike Fri 20 Dec 2013, 7:48 pm

Hi there I think it's all wrong, we have a show near us which charged us£10 to get in with r stuff and they had about 1/4 of the people exhibiting and they done that for 2 years and now they realised it's was a mistake, so they have told us we haven't got to pay next year, we pay for storage all year transport costs and everything what goes with running lorrys to take the stuff around and I think it's all wrong, I no a few shows do it now but I think it will kill most of the shows on the end.
tractor mike
tractor mike

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  hippy dave Sat 21 Dec 2013, 9:57 am

Couldn't agree more its seems a shame not to go to these shows for the sake of a few quid but on top of all the other costs it could easily get out of hand, don't want to miss ardingly but feel people will take a stand and go else were, will have to look for another show that weekend change is as good as a rest as they say Sad 
hippy dave
hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 21 Dec 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm with you Tim, I have made a decision not to go the shows that want to charge for the family either, Chatham Docks wanted £12 for the two kids even though we exhibit and their reasoning was that they are a charity. I was really pissed off with the letters in OG a few months ago discussing show payments and including miniatures in the discussion. I have never been paid once for attending any event except this last one at Portsmouth Docks and that was after encouragement from Tim Watson as they offered expenses!!!

Like you I feel we put in a lot of effort to transport, run, maintain the exhibits as well as giving up quite a bit of time so charging for camping would really hack me off. If I come across any more they will be named and shamed!!!
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:23 pm

The St Albans rally, where I look after the miniatures, gives expenses to all exhibitors. This year, the miniatures received £25 towards their costs, two bags of coal and a wine glass. Of course, the payment to exhibitors is dependant on the show making sufficient profit, but it has always been the Herts Steam Club's philosophy to look after it's exhibitors well.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:31 pm

When is that rally Tim, I would like to attend with that incentive. Happy Xmas and a good New Year to you and yours by the way.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 21 Dec 2013, 2:57 pm

31st May, 1st June, Oaklands College, St Albans. Miniatures have more or less free range on the field and there is a decent pub run on the Saturday night. We are fairly full, but there is usually a bit of exhibitor turnover and we hold a waiting list if needed. We are also running a SAC weekend at the same venue on the 19-20th July which anyone would be welcome to attend.

Tim

Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 23 Dec 2013, 10:31 am

The Boconnoc rally in Cornwall also started charging exhibitors last year and possibly the year before if I recall, Steve Trail still went this year and I believe Tim did too. do you think their exhibitor numbers were down because of it Tim/Steve?

I have to admit that I received money four times this year, one from the Riverside rally which is run as a charity fundraiser by local steam engine owners, Onslow Park which is run by the local steam club plus Astle Park and Scorton rallies which are commercial events. I never went expecting any money and so it was a pleasant surprise. More important is the fact that I received some coal at all events I attended except the Leigh Arms do which is just a gathering of like minded individuals at a pub for tow days so it was not expected. I also received a mug from Banbury and an glass from Onslow Park. The money received will never cover our expenses for the weekend but we are doing it for our own enjoyment too but having to pay to attend an event is an interesting situation.

As a member of the Bedford club along with Tim, there is now a policy of only allowing two people a free pass with an exhibit in a bid to curb the many hangers on that seem to accompany engines/owners/crew (or claim to). Therefore if you are a family of four you have to pay for two additional passes. As Declan and Danielle are steam apprentice club members they get in for free.

You cant beat a steam up between friends and a road run for fun, this is probably why there are a lot more little events popping up organised by engine owners.

Regards

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 23 Dec 2013, 11:09 am

Events up here in Scotland only give 2 passes with entry. So if you have more people yes you need to pay.
It never even occurred to me to protest when sister and her 3 year old came to visit for the day at RAF Errol this year and paid at the gate same as everyone else. Even though I have a "family" membership to the club hosting. We did get coal and a little something to help with travel.

I go to show off my engine and have a good time not make money.

As a side. I did go to Perth miniature railway early September for their open day to help with fund raising. The donation box was over £120 better off after 3 hours. Yes it would have been cheaper for me just to send a cheque for £150 and stay at home but there is no fun in that.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Ardingly Show Empty Rallies charging

Post  Steve Traill Mon 23 Dec 2013, 2:13 pm

Boconnoc started charging two years ago £5 per exhibitor and for those that usually get expenses then £5 was knocked off what one usually gets. The people most upset at the time seemed to be the guys with stationary engines, some of them are really worth seeing but some TBH take the p**s and just get a week's free camping in there motorhome, all the family included & they pull out some old villiers engine that doesn't go & stick it in front of the motorhome!
I don't see anyone making any money these days organising rallies, at best they put a few bob in the pot for next year if the weather's bad. It takes a mammoth amount of organising & running by a lot of people largely unpaid. The cost of sites has gone up along with the value of land, the H&S wallers demand that everything is fenced off (hired), that every conceivable eventuallity has an action plan in place, you can't argue against it! & it all costs money.
If by asking everybody to put in a little bit, whether an exhibitor or visitor, it then makes the rally viable then I have no problem, in the grand scheme of things £5 for entry to a good weekend is neither here nor there when you consider that the committee of what ever club/organisation are standing around in the wind/rain/cold/blazing sun/dust for hours on end to make it happen, & they get nothing but lots of grumbles & the occasional thank you!
Without these rallies and events our world would be the poorer for it and yes we probably could organise some small events in someones back yard, but it wouldn't be the same.
This year the numbers were up at Boconnoc, it really is a wonderful site in a magical part of Cornwall, the marshalls are always welcoming and the weather was superb, anyone planning a trip this way should really try & attend, there's plenty of space for a few more miniature owners. sunny sunny sunny 
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Mon 23 Dec 2013, 8:57 pm

To add my five pence worth, every steam event I attended in 2013 I received expenses or coal. At one event I was given £100. So not to receive coal or out of pocket expenses (and asked to pay) is a little strange. If you get no exhibitors then you have no show????
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Tue 24 Dec 2013, 4:43 pm

Now there were two completely polar opposites of opinion!!! Nowt stanger than folk!!
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 26 Dec 2013, 10:45 am

As most know I am on the commitee of a number of charities and been involved in a number of events so well aware of issues with funding and the risks involved, as we all know it's a careful balance of getting the right exhibits to draw the crowds and make sure the books are balanced at the end of the event. This is something where there are as many opinions as there are shows on the Callander.

For me I would not expect an appearance fee but would not want to pay to attend.  I know living where I am I am lucky as there are lots of shows within an hour and at least two I can road the engine to so expenses are low, if they are more thank an hour away (with few exceptions) I would not take the engine. For others this is not the case.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down