Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy's 4"dcc road loco

+18
LiveSteam
Rickster
tractor mike
Brian M
mikero
MrStationHouse
Flasback
Robfishman
Steam Traction World
Tim Watson
IanL
bjwlancashire
craig@STW
highpressure
Tony King
Kevster
lynnr
the coleman
22 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Empty Re: Andy's 4"dcc road loco

Post  highpressure Sun 23 Feb 2014, 8:46 am

I joined Andy again yesterday for the third session hoping ot get a video of "Judith May" running quite sweetly now she has a few hours on her but it wasnt the case. As Andy has said we had an issue with the LP valve not sealing to the valve face even after fitting the spring. It lead to two main problems, the first beign a heavy exhaust as the HP output "slipped" past the valve and straight up the chimney more evident by the drains being open and virtually nothing coming out but this also meant no oiled steam in the cylinder whihc lead to a dry squeak as the piston is still working all the time.
This was after two hours or so and having taken the LP valve chest off three times we finally discovered the slightest distortion in the valve rod, by turning it we could get the valve to sit "loose" and this would allow it to sit on the face but as soon as the rod was re-engaged in the expansion link it pulled the valve off. By putting a load on the flywheel with the brake it would take up as the pressure increase helped but Andy wasnt happy. It was at this point I had to leave.

I have to say Andys patience is quite remarkable, I cant stand anyhting like this, it drives me nuts in seconds, he on the other hand seems to be able to hang in there for hours without loosing it, something I cant do. At about 3.30 he rang to "play " the sound down the phone, plenty of steam out of the drains and virtually no exhaust, just as mine. He tweaked and tweaked the rod insitu until it played ball. He is finally at a point where the steam test seems like a good chance of a pass, especially as the pump now works.

There is another important lesson here and one I am glad Steve put in the instructions and for those following on heed the words. If anyone thinks they are just going to put one of these engines together and then just steam on, DREAM ON. I had forgotten how much pain there is to go through to get a good smooth engine, they do need at least a season to bed in as Brian M said. Andys fitting skills were way above mine and I expected him to have very little trouble and run straight off but this goes to show how much tinkering they need to set them up. That being said once bedded in and fine tuned they are an absolute joy to drive and use and I am looking forward to the steam test together as we will be able to take Andys for a proper drive for the first time and have both engines together for comparison.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 24 Feb 2014, 10:43 am

Andy

Keep going, it does get better, just imagine if you had a hole in your cylinder how depressing that would be!!! The satisfaction you get once you drive your engine for the first time will be tremendous, I look forward to the photos and video of you and Kevin steaming together in a few weeks time.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sat 15 Mar 2014, 7:29 pm

Well it was the day of the steam tests and arrived at kevs at 8.45 boiler inspector arrived at 8.50 so we had all plugs out and all stuck the camera in the all holes . All fine as it should be then for for the thickness test both engines are fine all plugs back in to light a fire kevs saftey went off first mine had a little more water in so took a little longer water pump work fine and the injector so all in all both engines PASSED . Kev as a couple of videos which he will upload later. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 
the coleman
the coleman

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:18 pm

Start of the day waiting for the boiler inspector and just giving the front end a quick hoover out

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0222

Successful cold test and now raising steam

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0223

For all those doubters even this stunning engine is starting to get a "proper look " to it!!!!  Very Happy Very Happy 

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0224

After getting a pass on both we had a bit of fun, lots of driving about the local roads and then I asked Andy to pull mine about, trouble is with so many miles on it I have virtually no rolling resistance at all so it wasnt really much of a feat.  Rolling Eyes Should have tried my van that would have been much better.

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0225

Kicking back with a cuppa at the end of a long and VERY enjoyable day musing about exactly how many events we will be attending this year.....

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0226

Video of his first ever movement under its own steam being uploaded.....
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:12 pm

highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sat 15 Mar 2014, 10:20 pm

Fantastic video, lovely to see the pair trundling about Smile

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Sun 16 Mar 2014, 6:24 am

I wished I was around to see your engines driving around Bognor yesterday.
We'll done Andy.
Phil.

phil gomez

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 16 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

Great news Andy, you must be so proud. Loved the videofootage too, no looking back now and no more clean engine, Tony must be feeling sick looking at the close ups.  Shocked 

Next time you tow Kevin get him to put his engine in big wheel to give it some resistance.

Looking forward to seeing your engine up here in may, you might want to practice some hill work first.  Very Happy 
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

Has to be said, the two engines together is a wonderful site, very well done!! Also loved the video cheers 
It's still going to be while before my engine gets all that "working cloths" crap over it, but even I am accepting "that" the day will happen & there WILL be a tear in my eye, along with the smoke & coal dust etc etc!!

Regards,
Tony

PS.. Only thing better would be two Showmans!!!! Very Happy 

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:23 pm

soon Tony.

Looking excellent. gratz on the pass and it looked a cracking day to steam!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Empty Andy's 4" DCC Road Loco

Post  Heavyhaul Sun 16 Mar 2014, 5:41 pm

Hi Andy,
Congratulations on completing your engine, and well done on passing the cold and steam exams yesterday, can't wait to see both of your engines on the rally circuits this year.

Best regards
Steve.

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sun 16 Mar 2014, 6:20 pm

Hi Andy

Well done on completing your engine and passing your steam test, All that hard work and perseverance definitely paid off, Hope to one day see both these two on a rally field
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sun 16 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

Thanks guys and girls just got a couple of things left to do ie roof and motion covers . Looking forward to 2014 rallies.
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 17 Mar 2014, 11:39 pm

Tony King wrote:Only thing better would be two Showmans!!!! Very Happy 

Already been done Tony, the Morgan Twins had that nailed last year, unless you mean two SCOTISH Showman's in which case your holding it up  Wink 
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:32 am

I think Lynn would definitely agree with you Brian, but "a man's gotta do wot a man's gotta do" & I'm still modifying little bits & pieces & yet to do that lettering!!
Sadly, time available to work on the engine is biggest problem at the moment.... being a single parent with a 15 year old daughter at exam time is "challenging" to say the least... possibly just me, but surviving out here in the middle of nowhere, seems to take so much time!!
But Lynn is on the case, so two Scottish Showman's, side by side, may well happen soon!! ..... BUT only one will be smoking!! Very Happy 

Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Empty Amberley Spring Steam Event

Post  highpressure Mon 12 May 2014, 8:50 pm

Despite looking like the weekend weather might not play ball it turned out to be a fine day with warm sunshine by the afternoon. A thoroughly enjoyable day with no dramas.

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0310

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0311

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0312

Andys exquisitly finished drain pipes, its all the little finishing touches that make such a great engine, this one WILL win an award somewhere. Wait till you see the roof, the finish on the paint is simply stunning!!!

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Img_0313

We have recently modded the drip tray and not only does it look great it does a very good job at keeping the sides clean too.

I cant say how much I am looking forward to next weeks do a Fawley Hill, not only does it look like a stunning setting and not only are there likely to be loads on engines having a great time but the forecast is turning to hotter drier weather. ROCK ON!!! A report will be posted next week.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sat 08 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

Now the engine is finished I been working on my water bowser. It's all most there need to fit baffles and a paint job the tank it self 33"L  24"w 16"H  the frame 2"x1" c section. Also  the front part I'm going  fold 1.5 mm steel and bolt it to the sides and use it for extra coal. The axle is 1"square which sits inside a nice piece of oak..

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 A5FC5B47-CCF3-48B6-93BF-474AFF9BC0BF_zpsoxxwk1n1

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 ECFDBBA8-EF02-4862-9819-BD278159BD54_zpsk1ddpwwa

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 C5BCDF7D-89B2-4AAF-848E-7A2AEA0488D0_zpsrg0pxltz

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 3C4BAF7F-3AA4-4579-9D22-DE05D134687C_zpsoedjwusb

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 6AAE741C-31EB-4373-97F3-1BAECF6C889B_zpssex9rbvh

Last edited by the coleman on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Watson Sat 08 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

Make sure you don't spoil it with a dodgy paint job!

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

I'll try and do my best I'm getting better.
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Sun 09 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

Iv also been working on the ash pan  the same as steve trail. I plasma cut 120mm hole and used 3mm s steel for the door and hopefully will be a lot cleaner when raking  the ash pan ...

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 8FCAFEB1-22BF-43A3-98F6-DB4F03D8F2D3_zpsdqtwxs0g

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 04858F4E-8410-452C-B7AD-F9512D42FB3D_zpsetshutzqAndy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 88BF1BA5-44C7-4A5F-BDB0-4BD6EA861892_zpsmesolqiz

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 6847DF79-EEC1-48AD-ADB2-3EC53FFD1AA6_zpsucrokbtq

Last edited by the coleman on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 11 Nov 2014, 11:03 pm

Nice sturdy bowser Andy, nice and different too as an oval one.

I see your innermost firebars are thinning with all that heavy haulage work. You might want to rearrange them, thinnest on outside and thickest inside. This will prolong the life of them and make them wear more evenly.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Tue 11 Nov 2014, 11:22 pm

The bowser was started before I started the engine I do know it's  getting heavy and that's with out any water. The fire bars will be changed be next rally season starts.

Last edited by the coleman on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  the coleman Thu 13 Nov 2014, 10:19 pm

Finished the front of the bowser I reckon it's going hold about 3/4to a full bag of coal.
URL=https://s658.photobucket.com/user/andy08_2009/media/imagejpg4_zps6bfdd162.jpg.html]Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Imagejpg4_zps6bfdd162[/URL]

URL=https://s658.photobucket.com/user/andy08_2009/media/imagejpg5_zps6e1b6ddd.jpg.html]Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Imagejpg5_zps6e1b6ddd[/URL]

Andy's 4"dcc road loco - Page 6 Imagejpg1_zpsfcf727f2

Last edited by the coleman on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pictures)
the coleman
the coleman

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri 14 Nov 2014, 2:02 pm

Hey Andy, any chance you could do that to my ashpan if I run it over to you at some point please. I'm really fed up with all the crap floating allover the wheels and belly tank!! Good looking bowser too!!
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  phil gomez Fri 14 Nov 2014, 2:26 pm

Hi Andy.
Your bowser looking very good.
I look forward see it finished.
Thanks for posting the pictures.