Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Latest Advertising - Give us your input

+10
Tony King
Julia
Dan
bjwlancashire
mikero
Graeme81
Robfishman
Flasback
lynnr
Steam Traction World
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Latest Advertising - Give us your input - Page 2 Empty Re: Latest Advertising - Give us your input

Post  lynnr Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:29 am

I think the adverts are good. Some simple with some obscure does work very well. A classic well known brand up here in Scotland namely Iron-Bru use to run a series of adverts. Some even got banned.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Latest Advertising - Give us your input - Page 2 Empty Re: Latest Advertising - Give us your input

Post  Robfishman Mon 19 Mar 2012, 7:46 pm

Always hard to find out how people came across any business to allow targeted marketing. In my case I really can't remember, I came across the link to the website again in my favourites when I was looking for a new project to keep me out of trouble (or in trouble for spending to much time in the workshop!!) It may have been via searching for something on google, or an advert somewhere I really have no idea but when ever it was I logged it for future reference and worked.

One way to find out may be to put a small section on the order confirmation asking how customers came by the business.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 19 Mar 2012, 8:03 pm

My purchase was by sheer random events.

Holiday in Thornton-le-Dale.
Found out that Pickering Steam fair was on.
Leaving site as dogs were getting too hot via a random path.
Chanced upon a leaflet stand out from a tent.
Took leaflet.
Did not actually see any engines or persons involved. Can not even remember seeing the company banner.

Read leaflet. Phone company. The rest they say is history.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Latest Advertising - Give us your input - Page 2 Empty Advertising

Post  thehawk Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:03 pm

What attracted me to STW and a 4in Burrell purchase?
Well, my dad and grandad started me off when they took me to a very simple rally in the late 50's and I've been going to the Great Dorset ever since it started. I loved steam engines from the outset. That sound, sometimes like a heart beat, sometimes a powerful roar, the mingling smells of hot oil, coal smoke and steam, basically the atmosphere of a working engine.
Always thinking I could never afford an engine of my own, I one day discovered Modelworks, joy of joys (apart from the going bust bit). But at last a steam engine I could afford and in its construction learn all about at a price I could just about afford.
The thing is, there is a lot of emotion in seeing and hearing a steam engine and a great deal of pleasure in driving one. When I take mine out on the street people wave, they come out of their houses to watch or speak, children get excited and a bit scared, it's all very satisfying. This is so much more than half a ton of steel. Somehow an advert needs to capture those feelings, the instincts aroused and the pleasure involved in the purchase of one of these beasts.

best wishes
Paul
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisnchrisroberts Mon 19 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

On our 10 month trip around Britain and Ireland, I had no intention of buying a steam engine. My wife found a brochure for a Traction Engine rally, so we went, then we went to another then to the Model Engineering exhibition at Warwick. There a man was showing off the Burrells they (Modelworks) were building and he said can I help you and as he was really getting busy I said yes just give me one of those brochures you have. Realising the factory was not too far away we went, had a factory tour, and signed up for the 2" Burrell. I have had it together once then pulled it apart to paint it. Am still trying to work out whether I reassemble it and put it on static display or try to get an Australian Boiler Certificate if I want to run it in public.

chrisnchrisroberts

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Latest Advertising - Give us your input - Page 2 Empty Advertising!

Post  Tony King Tue 20 Mar 2012, 8:48 am

For Me, it was Julia's build diary that set my mind to the possibility I might build a traction engine this way at this scale. It gave a good insight into what it was all about & what was required to acheive a large working engine.
When my circumstances changed & I was in a position to afford the kit prices I absolutely wanted to build one of these engines. However this was when Model Works were finishing & Steve & Dean were starting STW & there was no way of knowing how successful they were going to be!!
I decided to go visit the factory & meet some of the people who actually produce the kits, this would help me make, what was for me, a difficult descission to commit a large ammount of money on a project which was really only a hobby!!
Obviously, I liked what I saw...........Very friendly, very knowledgable, totally comitted to making this venture work, I had no doubts about taking the plunge & I actually came away with the first three or four kits (I can't remember which!!) for my Agricultural engine. I hadn't paid for them, they trusted me to pay later !!
The whole point is, you're not just buying kits to build an engine from a factory, your entering into a whole experiance of building an engineering masterpiece which can be very personnel to you, but with the help & backup of a proffessional enthusiastic team of very nice easy friendly people. Not an easy thing to acheive, particularly in this climate!!
At the end of a build, you not only have something to be extremely proud of, you, not only may have been able to forefill a dream, you, not only have been able to build something that would for most of us be impossible........... You actually have an asset which can be passed on to you children....... (They may not want it of course, but they could still sell it & realise quite a lot of dosh!!)
I know I'm going on abit, but I do believe STW have a uneque position in the market place, they offer more than just a kit of bits, infact I actually count some of the staff as personal friends & I live 450 miles away from Daventry!!
As some of you out there know, I'm on my second build from STW, a 4" Showmans. It's an ambishes project for STW & is going to be a stunning engine when finished, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is!!
Now 6" scale "models" are becomming a reality, I wonder how far this is going to go!
Advertising is important to get the "knowledge" out there, but that ain't what made me comitt to these builds!!
I know this is probably of no help to your question, but lets you know what's important to me.
With kind regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2