Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World.

+3
highpressure
Tony King
lynnr
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World.

Post  lynnr Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:18 am

Hi everyone.

Sorry for not posting daily but I have been having too much fun.

So here is the much anticipated update to my travels and activities.

Monday was spent having a tour round the factory and then with Ian in manual production. No pictures from Monday as Ian was a slave driver, not really Very Happy , I was just enjoying myself too much.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9824
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9825

Production "T" card system. Makes sure all the machines and workers are kept busy and a good track is kept on activities.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9826

Job done included. Bending the lugs on the winch drum safety catch for the drive pin and bending the laser cut for the latching handle for the same part. I also cut and cleaned up all the locking and limiting pins for the winch drum assembly. Takes a while to cut and clean 55 little pins 3mm x 30mm approx for one pin and 5mm for the second. This small activity took a couple of hours to complete and that is for just 2 little pins. While I was proceeding with these simple but essential tasks Ian was shaping the springs for the winch drive pin and silver soldering the flanges on the starting steam valve. Once items started coming from the CNC machines Ian also checked these items on the control model to make sure all is good.

Tuesday.

Today was spent with Craig, David and Mark in CNCland. Craig demonstrated how the CNC was programmed and them set the program up for the valve insert for the starting valve.

Getting the drill bit ready to cut the flutes on the start valve.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9827

One part of a spring hanger cut and flanged ready for welding.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9829
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9830

Yes the machines also need cleaned out once in a while.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9832

Cutting the hole for the steam supply to the starting valve.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9833

Dean programming the auto-feed lathe for cutting the stock for the steam lifter.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9835

Ian working away in the manual area
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9836

4" burrell hub casting getting ready for CNCing.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9837
Each hub takes about 1 hour to machine. There is 40 of them to do.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9838

Once the CNC is finished the hubs need hole tapping. This is faster using a manual machine.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9844
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9840
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9842

Mark setting the CNC lathe for profiling the steam lifter venturie tube.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9843

Had a look in the packing area while tending my CNC machine.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9845
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9846

These are the items I was bending and cutting yesterday.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9847
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9848

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9849

helen packing bits
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9850
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9851

Craig needed to replace a worn tool. Just making sure of the tool measurement to keep the CNC machining accurate.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9853

Steam valve inside I have been spending the last 5 hours producing.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9854

lots more to do.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9855

It may be a small part but it does take a long time to produce.

4" Hub into the second CNC to drill the oil pipe hole.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9857

Wednesday

Building a Foden 6" LWB kit 1 was todays task. This kit is HEAVY so be very carefull if you have not started it. First task was to clean the rather industrial mess called the main rails. This took 3 hours or there abouts. I then spent a while at the belt sander smoothing down the end of the conical rivits. I must get one of these bench belt sanders, so so usefull and convenient. Now to start heavy engineering. Well not quite yet. I always spend at least 30 minutes reading and studying the drawings before starting. With each rail upside down I started to install the parts as per the instructions. This progressed well. All holes and fittings were very precise and no fettling being required.

Once parts were being attached onto the rails I now required assistance moving the rails.

parts checked in to my building area.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9858

needed help with lifting these parts
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9859

Chassis rail being cleaned with a flap wheel.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9860

New parts on the control model. Hot out of production
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9861
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9862
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9863
Do not worry you will not have to take the chimney saddle off or split the smokebox from the boiler to fit the blast pipe. Insert the part into the chimney then attach the longer part from the Block. No problem.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9864
What does that valve do?

right back to my heavy engineering work.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9865
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9866

STW have got me on my knees with this task. Need to have a stand up. So snapped Ian producing the blast pipes.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9868
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9869
A very skilled activity as the stick is quite a high melting point and you do not want to cook out the tin from the brass.

The chassis kit 1 now complete.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9870

Thursday

08:00 started working on this post and uploading the pictures. The upload will take about 2 hours.
11;15 about to post these ramblings. Got my job for this afternoon.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty STW pics

Post  Tony King Thu 01 Mar 2012, 11:49 am

Wonderful post Lynn, it's great to see what's going on & how stuff is made............ Really stirs up the enthusiasm for what STW (& you) do!!
When do you reckon we'll be fitting the bits you've made?..
I, needless to say, loved the pictures of the showmans control model, however one has to admit that the new 6" foden is going to be one hell of a beasty!
I guess you'll be comming home for a rest after your exciting & productive week!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty Polishing the work

Post  lynnr Thu 01 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Some of today was spent shaping and polishing a brake handle ready to be sent off for lost wax casting in bronze.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9871

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9872

Need to get it nice and smooth for the casting.

popped into the boiler shop today since the welder was not going. Got a few pictures of a 4" Road loco boiler on the jig and weld prepping plates.

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9874

Is it a boiler barrel or supergun
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9875

All jigged up.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9876
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9877

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9878
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9879
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9880

Ian been busy again making the blast tubes.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9881
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9882

Plenty more flanges to go.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9883

David happy working away making parts for the spring hangers on the CNC.
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9884

All geared up and no place to go.... yet!
The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. IMG_9885

lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty Re: The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World.

Post  highpressure Thu 01 Mar 2012, 5:37 pm

Hey Lynn,

Great post very informative, I seem to remeber Craig used to do something like this Laughing Used to stop us from wondering if anything was actually going on In there and wether we would be getting a kit, this week, next week, sometime, never..... Laughing Laughing Only kidding Craig, STW is very fortunate that in these austere times they have so much work and so little time, considering how Steve and Dean were so unsure of the future when they took on such a massive undertaking to buy out MW. Pity all businesses arent in the same position, despite having worked in the aerial industry for 23 years and being in an area that is switching over as we speak my business partner and I are still only doing 4 days a week and some of those days are just 1 or 2 calls. That may sound like its a doss but we get paid by actually working not sitting around waiting and worse than that we own the company and the overheads continue regardless.... so we really feel it Crying or Very sad

Clearly there is quite a bit of progress for a number of kits for the DCC, do you know how it is looking for despatching something soon, and do you get to take away a kit or even two?? The globe valve on the cylinder casting would be for the steam lifter I guess. The trouble is now with the weather improving we are all getting impatient to finally get into steam, but it will be such a good summer once we are there.

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty Re: The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World.

Post  craig@STW Thu 01 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

well the idea was for me to take less photos and make more parts, but it seems your not getting either at the moment lol! lol! lol! lol!

a few comments Rolling Eyes

Dave should not be happy, he's not paid to enjoy himself Razz

Ian working hard !!!! i must of missed that Laughing

me "in" the photos affraid no thanks, i think i prefer to be behind the camera pale

maybe we could open this up as some kind of "working holiday experience thing" where you guys come and work for us for a week. I'm sure we won't charge much Razz Razz
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 01 Mar 2012, 9:23 pm

craig@STW wrote:

maybe we could open this up as some kind of "working holiday experience thing" where you guys come and work for us for a week. I'm sure we won't charge much Razz Razz

A week in the factory, I'm up for that book me in....may be it should be a condition of purchase.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 04 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

Hi Lynn,

Anything to add for the final couple of days down south?? I gather you had a nice day on Friday!! I am certainly envious as I havent had a steam fix for nearly 6 months now due to selling the other engine. Did you get to bring anything home with you?

Cheers Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sun 04 Mar 2012, 4:53 pm

Hi All and Kev

Sorry was recovering from the trip last night and today.

What happened Thursday and Friday.

Well Thursday afternoon was spent shaping and polishing the brake wheel as shown in the pictures above. Then helping Steve with some housekeeping in the factory in the early evening.

Friday was spent with Paul Garfield learning how to steam and drive a traction engine. Big Big thank you to STW for arranging and a huge thank you to the Garfield family for their hospitality and the lessons. I do not have any pictures as it was not my engine and venue so the camera stayed in the car. An excellent day had learning and relaxing.

Saturday. Long trip home. 11 hours and a crash diversion to boot. It rained most of the way so the eyeballs were very sore by the time I got home.

Note for any Scottish delegation. Take Walkers shortie as Isabel and Steve enjoy it. Not sure about Dean Laughing

Well I think that completes the weeks activities. I most seriously want to and will do it again.

Roll on engine completion as I have a "need for speed" Scratch that... "Need for steam" thats better.

Wonder if the neighbour would notice if I took over her garage as well and install some machines. I very much enjoyed everything I did during my stay but the manual fabrication of parts was the highlight by far except the steaming (not in the alcoholic manner mind you).

Next project. Transport trailer.

Kev. No I did not get a kit to bring home so waiting just the same as everyone else. STW are working flat out to get the kits ready but somethings are just beyond their excellent control.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony King Sun 04 Mar 2012, 9:08 pm

Hiya Lynn,
Glad you had a remarkable week & thanks for keeping us all updated!! Interesting & informative. Very well done!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 05 Mar 2012, 12:44 am

Hi lynn

Great post, did you volunteer for the whole week? I though it was only a two day visit. I suspect you were press ganged, did you get the Kings shilling too or just lots of tea/coffee biscuits etc..?? Wink

Good to see the cyclinder connected to the chimney via the blastpipe and blowwer pipe plus the water lifter parts coming together.

Did you not get anything done on Steve's steam cars?

Maybe you should have done some of Deans 6" Burrell, you would have had the thing on it's wheels by the end of the week given your history of fast progress Razz

Are you coming to England again this year for any of the more northern rallys?

If you can get to the Cumbria rally in July I will get you up on a full size Fowler showmans engine for more lessons. Get to Pickering and I will ask Nigel to let you up on Ex-Mayor.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 05 Mar 2012, 8:33 am

Hi Brian

I offered to stay the whole week and the offer was kindly accepted Very Happy

Only thing I helped with on the steam cars was to lift the body off and turn it upside down.

What dates and where would the Cumbria rally be? That is a very nice offer. sunny
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 06 Mar 2012, 4:18 pm

lynnr wrote:Hi Brian
What dates and where would the Cumbria rally be? That is a very nice offer. sunny

Cumbria Rally is 28th and 29th July.

There is also a Steam Apprentice day on the Friday 27th which we will be there for too. Hopefully there will be some roading of engines to the event, I need to confirm this with regard to which ones.

Also, there is the oportunity for a Saturday evening road run to the Engineman Pub for miniatures and full size. bring an A frame for your landrover and we could tow it behind for additional passenger capacity. Very Happy

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

The mad lass of the North is down South! reporting from Steam Traction World. Empty Thanks!

Post  Dan Wed 07 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

Lynn, This is a great report - thank you!

Whenever someone visits Daventry - take your camera!
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 07 Mar 2012, 9:28 am

bjwlancashire wrote:

Cumbria Rally is 28th and 29th July.

There is also a Steam Apprentice day on the Friday 27th which we will be there for too. Hopefully there will be some roading of engines to the event, I need to confirm this with regard to which ones.

Also, there is the oportunity for a Saturday evening road run to the Engineman Pub for miniatures and full size. bring an A frame for your landrover and we could tow it behind for additional passenger capacity. Very Happy

Brian

Hi Brian

Chuffin Heck!. "£$%)(*$£% Can not come as committed to retrieving my caravan as sister is using it for the week before. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 08 Mar 2012, 1:05 am

Chuffin Heck!. "£$%)(*$£% Can not come as committed to retrieving my caravan as sister is using it for the week before. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Lynn

You will have to get a B&B for this event anyway, no public camping, only exhibitors and crew.

Time to surf B&Bs are us on tinternet! Laughing

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 08 Mar 2012, 6:17 am

Hi Brian.

I can not come as busy collecting my caravan as sister has it the. Week before and I need to bring it back to my house.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 08 Mar 2012, 10:30 am

Thats a shame.

How about Pickering, I will be there to and there are road runs into the villiage every night I am sure we can get you on something there. You could always take your finshed engine too.

Other than that, I will be helping out at Levens Hall near Kendal on some Sundays this year. they have three engines, 1 showmans Engine (Fowler), one Foden wagon and a half size Foster.

Brian

bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

Hi Brian

Request for an application form sent. Fingers crossed.

Wonder if we could arrange to camp together??? Hum better look at getting a tent that is big enough.

Last edited by lynnr on Thu 08 Mar 2012, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added a bit)
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 08 Mar 2012, 7:12 pm

Wonder if we could arrange to camp together??? Hum better look at getting a tent that is big enough.

People would talk!!! Shocked

Also, I will be in the Saunders camp behind the stage show and the Steam Yachts, miniatures are in another field somewhere - I did not see the rally last year myself even though it was my first visit.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 14 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Hi Brian

Still no response from Pickering for an application form.

Been trying to book someplace but coming up blank and not bring the engine.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 15 Mar 2012, 9:04 pm

Lynn

Back to looking for a big tent then. I though you had a Land Rover? You can get a tent that fits the back of a Landy, or on the roof!!!

Try this place, my dad and step mum stayed last year and enjoyed it so much they booked again for this year - great breakfast apparently. pig

http://www.viversmill.co.uk/

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Fri 16 Mar 2012, 8:18 am

I have a pretend LandRover known as a FreelanderII
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 16 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

Hey, I just got one of them too - my first one!! Second day of ownership in early February it snowed heavily in the Lakes and my wife just drove over Kirkstone Pass with no isses. Police were closing the road but let her through.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 16 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

Happens a fair bit, police close the roads because of snow or flood but if you drive a landy, and ask nicely they will often let you through.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan Fri 16 Mar 2012, 4:14 pm

bjwlancashire wrote:Hey, I just got one of them too - my first one!!

and me too!!!!!
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next