Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are your plans when the engine is finished

+2
Robfishman
lynnr
6 posters

Go down

What are your plans when the engine is finished Empty What are your plans when the engine is finished

Post  lynnr Wed 10 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

Hi All

Hopefully this will get the enthusiasm up.

WHen your engine is finished what are your plans.
Being in the far north most events are very far away. But the engine is not going to be idle. I have about 30 locations to take the engine so people can see it finished. I will also, well it needs to be done, drive the engine to work when I can.

I have a couple of "local" events Strathspey being one. Not contacted any others yet. I will also be steaming most weekends and just going for a drive.

I will also be getting 2 traction wagons to go behind with the water bowser already got. This will allow using the engine to take larger garden rubbish away to the dump and do other usefull work.

I hope the generating potential is a useful voltage and amperage as this will also be usefull. reason being I am a member of an Archer club and the engine could be used for "quiet" power at events.

My, will be 3 year old, nephew will also be learning how to steam and drive the engine over the coming years.

So even though I do not expect to be going to many steam fairs the engine will be much enjoyed.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

What are your plans when the engine is finished Empty Re: What are your plans when the engine is finished

Post  Robfishman Wed 10 Aug 2011, 11:57 pm

Like you I am hoping the generating potential is ok as I plan to build a fairground ride to run with the engine. But got to be a bit careful as I need to be able to move all the kit around without needing a lorry so weight could be a problem with the engine, bouser, 4" scale ride and all the other equipment needed for a weekend steaming.

Will also visit some of the local shows and events - I hope.

I like the idea of driving it to work, but at 130 miles a day not sure I'd get to work on time....but it would be great fun
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

What are your plans when the engine is finished Empty Re: What are your plans when the engine is finished

Post  Brian M Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:18 am

Hello All,

I have joined a local traction engine club (a great little club with lots of knowledge transfer going on (thanks Clive), so I will be going to steam fairs and joining them on local road runs (to the pub and back) Very Happy .

(Like Rob, it would take me all day to reach work and to be honest, too much effort).

Enjoy!

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

What are your plans when the engine is finished Empty Work commute

Post  lynnr Thu 11 Aug 2011, 10:36 am

Forgot to say. Work travel distance is 3 miles
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Thu 11 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm

Having only just started with kit one this topic is a long way off, but is one that everyone is asking me. As I have a log burning stove I was thinking about getting a saw bench and powering it with the loco. My wife did query getting a showman for the electrical generation. Driving to work could be a challenge as I am in travelling sales.

I got asked the same question with my last build an AC Cobra replica which is probably a lot easier to use. But at 6mpg does not get taken out to often!

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 11 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

Robfishman wrote:Like you I am hoping the generating potential is ok as I plan to build a fairground ride to run with the engine.

I am building the Road Loco and plan to road it around with a couple of traction wagans and possibly my wife's mobility scooter on a push pole as a third load Shocked There may be a couple of barrels with Marstons or Thwaites written on them for a load but it may get lighter as we go on. As we now know Brian and Dwane, the roof makes an excellent table even without lights around it Razz

I am interested in Rob's plans for a fairground ride in this scale. Many years ago I did start planning a 4" scale Waltzer based on the original Lakin ones and it is a big ride - nearly 18 feet diameter. Let me know what you are planning Rob, I am very curious, how about the Steam Yachts? There is a 2" scale version about already, I have seen photos of it.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:01 pm

Seen on ebay today, not much good for me with a showmans but may be of interest to someone else.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ransomes-4-Scale-Threshing-Drum-Live-Steam-T-E-/280723332873?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item415c6a1f09

Last edited by Robfishman on Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 12 Aug 2011, 10:23 pm

bjwlancashire wrote:I am interested in Rob's plans for a fairground ride in this scale. Many years ago I did start planning a 4" scale Waltzer based on the original Lakin ones and it is a big ride - nearly 18 feet diameter. Let me know what you are planning Rob, I am very curious, how about the Steam Yachts? There is a 2" scale version about already, I have seen photos of it.

Brian

Biran

I'm not quite sure what ride to build at the moment, I would like to build either a scenic railway (which ex-mayor was built for) or dodgems which i think it ended up working. However both would have to wait till after the engine is complete, I also like the idea of a Waltzer so if you get round to building it let me know where it wiould be on show..

However at the moment I am thinking of building a big wheel to run to start with, as having looked at the one at Hollycombe it seems quite a simple build so could be built at the same time as the engine.

Rob
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Thu 08 Sep 2011, 9:28 pm

Rob

Thought you might be interested to see this, it was at Dorset behind a 4" burrell agricultural engine. Not so good behind a showmans engine though. However, you need to take yours out to the next STW event when all our DCC engines are completed so we can have a play Laughing

What are your plans when the engine is finished P1080511

What are your plans when the engine is finished P1080512
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

Thanks Brian looks the same design as mine from the Burrell style book. Just goes to show I was there for nearly 3 days and never saw this on my travels or in the arena. Looks like next year I'll need to be there all week.

Yes once the road loco's are finished would be happy to bring along to the shows for anyone to have a play. When I get a few minutes I'll post some pictures if it for those who haven't seen it and some of the detail for those who have.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Thu 29 Mar 2012, 9:42 pm

After 12 months of searching I think I have found someone with all plans and patterns for a ferris wheel. Very Happy Very Happy

They are on the other side of the pond but it looks like its shortly going to be under construction. Very Happy Very Happy
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Fri 30 Mar 2012, 10:36 pm

Now then how could you turn a traction engine into a paddle steaming and go fetch it?

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

Robfishman wrote:After 12 months of searching I think I have found someone with all plans and patterns for a ferris wheel. Very Happy Very Happy

They are on the other side of the pond but it looks like its shortly going to be under construction. Very Happy Very Happy

That will be bloody big when built up, you will need a light on the top so no one flys a model aircraft into it. You might need a ladder too, however the full size ones build up from the ground so should be fun and comparably quick to build compared to an ark or scenic railway.

Are they smaller scale plans you will have to scale up? Make sure you use strong enough steel/aluminium sections whatever you choose.

Does that mean the log trailer is up for sale? Twisted Evil

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 02 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

The plans are 1/5 scale so yes will need to be scaled up to 1/4 scale. It will be quite big but should be simple to build. Will probably use aluminium for the wheel itself to keep the weight down but once the plans arrive and I put together the cutting lists I'll finalise the material. Your quite right though needs to be nice and strong. Very Happy

As for the log trailer no plan to sell it at the moment.......but everything has a price.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:30 am

Robfishman wrote:The plans are 1/5 scale so yes will need to be scaled up to 1/4 scale. It will be quite big but should be simple to build. Will probably use aluminium for the wheel itself to keep the weight down but once the plans arrive and I put together the cutting lists I'll finalise the material. Your quite right though needs to be nice and strong. Very Happy

As for the log trailer no plan to sell it at the moment.......but everything has a price.

Should it not be 1/3 scale? for 4"
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:25 pm

Lynn

With all the snow you seem to have in your area maybe you should be thinking about fitting it with a snow plough!!

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 03 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

IanL wrote:Lynn

With all the snow you seem to have in your area maybe you should be thinking about fitting it with a snow plough!!

Ian

Heavily treaded tyres and plow on the front. Yes nice steam plow
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Tue 03 Apr 2012, 8:32 pm

lynnr wrote:

Should it not be 1/3 scale? for 4"

Oops that will teach me for posting so late at night, yes you are quite right.

There is a YouTube clip of the 1/5 scale original here if anyone is interested -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QaJ3XKbn_vs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7MTTpl-AE90

Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down