Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nameplates

4 posters

Go down

Nameplates Empty Nameplates

Post  thehawk Mon 10 Jan 2011, 8:04 pm

I want to name my 4inch Burrell and am looking for some advice and opinions on nameplates.

1) Should the nameplate be cast or machined? I assume brass is the appropriate material?
2) What is a recommended plate size and letter size?
3) What sort of price should I be paying?
4) Any recommendations for a good supplier - good being; quality, price and delivery time?

Many thanks in anticipation and a happy new year to everyone!
Paul
thehawk
thehawk

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Nameplates Empty Re: Nameplates

Post  bjwlancashire Tue 11 Jan 2011, 9:53 am

Diane Carney has been around a long time doing this sort of thing from "7mm to the foot to 4" to the foot" according to her website. I have some 7 1/4" gauge plates etc. for a BR Standard Class 5 inlcuding a Pines Express headboard and they are superb, also my friend has used this company for all his 5" gauge locos. I am also aware that other people have used them for name plates etc. for larger 7 1/4" gauge narrow gauge prototypes.

The plates are etched brass from this company, below is the website link.

http://www.loco-nameplates.com/modelengineers.html

I have seen other companies advertising actual cast plates in Old Glory. Just had a look at the latest issue and I quickly found four companies advertising for plates and rally plaques. This may cost more as your namplates would need a unique pattern making for them, call them first to get an idea.

www.procast.co.uk

www.brassplaques.info

www.lowebrass.com

www.bristolfoundry.com

Please note I have no links whatsoever with any of the companies I have mentioned above, just trying to help.
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  thehawk Fri 04 Mar 2011, 10:25 pm

Thanks for the help and advice. I have just had my plates made by Diane Carney and I think they are well done and good value for money. They need a bit of finishing around the edges but the lettering is very good. When I've finished and painted them maybe I'll post a picture.

cheers

Paul
thehawk
thehawk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sat 05 Mar 2011, 3:41 am

thehawk wrote:I want to name my 4inch Burrell and am looking for some advice and opinions on nameplates.

1) Should the nameplate be cast or machined? I assume brass is the appropriate material?
2) What is a recommended plate size and letter size?
3) What sort of price should I be paying?
4) Any recommendations for a good supplier - good being; quality, price and delivery time?

Many thanks in anticipation and a happy new year to everyone!
Paul

Hi Paul

Diane Carney was were mine was do vary good job .
AS for the size try what I did and make them in card and find the size of letters .

I hope that this will help
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  thehawk Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:50 pm

I know it's a while since my last post on this subject but I should finish the topic.

I ordered nameplates from Diane Carney and found her very responsive. I was pleased with the end result and the price seemed ok too. So there's my recommendation!

Paul
thehawk
thehawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tufty Wed 29 May 2013, 8:47 pm

Would anyone 'care to share' roughly how much they paid for thier nameplates. (you can private message it if preferred) and whether they are for cast or etched plates. More importantally are you pleased with them?

Cheers

Tufty

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  thehawk Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm

A bit late in replying but my plates were purchased from Diane Carney for £75 for a pair. Etched in brass and I am perfectly happy with them.
thehawk
thehawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down