Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st Rally For LilyJack

+4
hughb
tractor_steam
lynnr
LilyJack
8 posters

Go down

1st Rally For LilyJack Empty 1st Rally For LilyJack

Post  LilyJack Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:09 am

Well, although it was completely *&%*in freezing cold, I've managed to do ONE rally this season (Kettering) and now work will commence on upgrades etc to make me engine run sweeter. Firstly, opening up the gap inbetween the firebars to allow more draft, reduce the blower pipe i/d to 1mm, fitting a plug to the exhaust nozzle with a 3-4mm hole (gonna try a range) to keep the fire burning better with the engine running and make/fit a small water pump into the tender as back up mainly in case the injector decides to play silly sods which it was doing over the weekend, this then gives me 2 definite ways of maintaining boiler water level.
These slight mods aside though, there was an awful lot of people on the Saturday taking piccies of LilyJack and comments such as "lovely work" and "beautiful" were just some of them, kinda makes you feel proud and makes it most definately worth all the effort.

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

ps: Anyone know where I can find 2mm and 3mm neoprene balls? The Cylinder oiler one way valve is still being a shit regards to steam blowback into the oiler chamber..

1st Rally For LilyJack Dsc00410

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

1st Rally For LilyJack Empty Hammer?

Post  lynnr Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:21 am

Hi

Gratz on your first rally. Living in the far North (not as far as Taf20) I doubt I will be visiting many rallys.
Your engine does look good in steam.

Is the hammer used to get the coal in through the firedoor (duck and run)
Twisted Evil
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

1st Rally For LilyJack Empty Re: 1st Rally For LilyJack

Post  LilyJack Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:11 am

Lynn ya nutcase hehehehe!!! Laughing
Nah, that hammer was just to free off the piston everytime it jammed up, being an engineer I already have a vast selection of hammers for all kinds of work Laughing
Joking aside though, I used a sledge hammer to get the big lumps in,had to be careful not to bend the tender though but the fire door holes opening up nicely now Laughing

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

1st Rally For LilyJack Empty Nutcase!

Post  lynnr Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:56 am

LilyJack wrote:Lynn ya nutcase hehehehe!!! Laughing
Nah, that hammer was just to free off the piston everytime it jammed up, being an engineer I already have a vast selection of hammers for all kinds of work Laughing
Joking aside though, I used a sledge hammer to get the big lumps in,had to be careful not to bend the tender though but the fire door holes opening up nicely now Laughing

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

I am not a nutcase and I have a certificate to prove it!

Life is a terminal disease. You will get over it!
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  tractor_steam Wed 29 Sep 2010, 8:24 pm

Look here on page 58 they start from 3mm in english!

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/docs/cat_may10.pdf

tractor_steam

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:35 pm

Hi Well done

BUT I thort that you were runing on GAS ?????

Looks good like it
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu 30 Sep 2010, 7:26 am

Nice one Lilyjack

I was interested in your comments re fitting a manual water pump. I too have been considering this and the best way to do it as I have the same problems, run mine dry once! didn't blow the plug but certainly caused a panic dropping the fire box What a Face Too risky

Bruce engineering do do a pump and I would be interested is anyones views of the best way to fit this and where to connect it into without spoiling the models authenticity too much.

Am I right in thinking 3mm/1/8th nitrile balls for the steam oiler and 3/16th for the clack valves?

Also I am still having trouble with glass water level guage, the frame wont stay on and I think mine leaks taking in air and giving false readings, hence running her dry, Am considering doing what Bungle did by replacing the assembly with a bruceengineering one as it has 3 cock valves and looks the nuts.

cheers

Big Al

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:08 pm

Hi Al,

If you follow this link http://www.stationroadsteam.com/archive/2041.htm there is an old knackered 3" burrell with a hand pump in the coal bunker. Not sure if the 2" would be big enough to do this but it would seem to be the most unobtrusive place to put it ( especially if you had a bit of ply with some scale sized coal glued to it to sit on top of it when it wasn't in use ). Or you could mount the hand pump on the driving truck to ensure that the engine is still prototypical.

LilyJack - good to meet you on saturday and to see the engine. I will be well happy if mine turns out as well. As I'm only in Peterborough i'm sure there's a good chance of us doing a few of the same rallies next season.

Al- did the foliac work in securing your hornplate bolts. Will be fixing mine shortly and was wondering if this had worked for you.

Regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

1st Rally For LilyJack Empty Re: 1st Rally for Lilyjack

Post  malcolm Thu 30 Sep 2010, 7:06 pm

Hello Al.

I am also experiencing the same problems as you. I have just purchased a 1/8" nitrile ball from Polly Model Engineering to fit to the oiler check valve. I am also considering fitting a hand water pump as the injector is completely unreliable, Polly do a range of pumps but I am waiting for the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition where Polly have a stand and hopefully will have the pumps on display so that I can find out which ones will fit in the tender but I would welcome suggestions as to the best way of piping it in.
I have not had any problems with reading the water levels on the guage but I did not use the supplied peice of glass pipe but used a piece with a red stipe in again supplied by Polly. I also find that the water guage protector will not stay on but to date have not thought of a suitable modification to rectify the problem.

Malcolm.

malcolm

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Thu 30 Sep 2010, 7:23 pm

Andyc

Steamed it only once since using the foliac so a bit early to tell

There appears to be a few of us with similar problems, the oiler seems to be a problem to resolve easily with the rubber balls, the pump issue I would like to see if anyone else has already done this before I go ahead ie let someone else bite the bullet first Very Happy then follow if succesful, as there appears to be a few more experienced builders than me on this forum who know what they are doing.

Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Wed 12 Jan 2011, 1:50 pm

Hi guys.

re the pump just buy a better injector if the one you got is not working. a good one from polly would do the job I dont have that much trouble with injectors but theu can be a pain if they wont pick up. my Locomotive had a small piece of pipe that over flow water came out of at the bottom of the injector. It would not pcik up what so ever untill i removed this peace of pipe then it worked every time. Random!!

does the pump on the engine not work then as there should be no need for a hand pump really.

I'm glad there are a few more in steam. Lillyjack you've built that super fast mine is pretty much ready apart from one wheel and my new stearing chains to be fitted. house re-ferbishment has ment the Burrel is taking the back burner for now and my Loco keeps me steam happy.. Smile

N

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Sat 05 Feb 2011, 1:01 pm

The injector wasn't having any of it, basically it was being overly tempremental so I've just thought sod it, whack a pump in there and whether the injector throws a tantrum or not, aint gonna matter none, also helps with the steam testing as there's still a back up way of getting water to the boiler and, as Big Al says, when that water runs low, one does tend to shit ones self.
Yes North B, I did kinda pull me finger out and get the build done in time for at least one season but now it's built and paid for etc, I can go at my own pace in my own time, I've not yet entered into any rallies this year, I'd rather now spend some quality time with LilyJack, paint some parts up better, make some new shiny bits to replace steel bits etc, STILL want to get her running on a gas burner too so with all this in mind, I am now going to take my time stripping her down here and there and re-assembling her to a hopefully spot on finish which will turn more heads come the next rally I attend. I was contemplating selling her and building a bigger model but I think now I'm adjusting to the "She's my baby and I want to keep her as long as I can", get to understand the workings of her etc.

Anyway, I trust you are all well, I'll have to make a bit more of an effort to pop on here n there n see who's building what and where they're at.

Happy building and Happy steaming one and all

Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

ps: Has anyone elses steering chains spread out at the link joins? Mine has in one or two places. Think I may ring Steve and find out what the crack is. I've only had her steaming under her own weight on the grass and noticed that a few of the links have started to split/spread. I would be tempted to take em into work n weld the joins but the tight arses wont buy replacement Argon for the TIG unit Crying or Very sad

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Mon 07 Feb 2011, 6:08 pm

Lillyjack

If you have fitted a hand pump I would be interested in seeing some pics and how you did it

Big Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down