Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear axel

Go down

Rear axel Empty Rear axel

Post  Vapor Tue 08 Jun 2010, 12:56 pm

I spoke to Steve yesterday regarding a couple of issues with the back axel of the SWB, the first was to do with the L/H hub having a 5mm ish gap between the axel shoulder and the hub this was caused be the hub not being far enough on the axel, we the fault was mine Embarassed as I missed the fact the thrust washer was on the wrong round, I did know about it and had assembled it correctly first time but after stripping it down to deal with something else I put it back on wrong, so be careful.

The second issue is however not my fault Smile having spent some time getting the clearances correct in the diff i noticed that when I tightened the 16mm nut on the R/H side that the diff locked up I found this was caused by the thrust washer tightening up against the hub and not the end of the axel, upon inspection I found my axel was a few thou below the surface of the hub and not proud as it should be the options are send the axel back or fit a thin 16mm washer behind the thrust washer, I have elected to fit the washer as I see this as the best route, be interesting if this is an isolated case, hope this will help save someone some head scratching. Smile
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Rear axel Empty Re: Rear axel

Post  Vapor Tue 08 Jun 2010, 12:59 pm

Sorry wrong section should be in the SWB/Artic bit Embarassed Embarassed
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18