Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitting Tyres

5 posters

Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Fitting Tyres

Post  Waterways Sun 10 Aug 2008, 2:41 pm

Hi

I have just opened my box of tyres kit 6 the instructions say 750ml primer & 750ml isoflex. I seem to have only 250ml of each, will this be enough as i dont want to get half way through and run out.

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Re: Fitting Tyres

Post  Steam Traction World Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:00 pm

Hi Keith

I don'y know why you were only sent 250ml tins, I think that was the amount required for the 2" Burrell. I think the amount you have will probably be okay for the front wheels but I'm sure you won't have enough to do all of them. You can get the Isoflex and primer at most DIY stores. It's called 'Isoflex High Performance Liquid Rubber'. It's actually sold for sealing leaky flat roofs believe it or not. Make sure you get some primer as well. Once opened, it doesn't last too long ( a few weeks ). All the stuff we have at the factory has gone off!

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Fri 15 Aug 2008, 3:28 pm

Struggled to find isoflex in local diy stores but have found it in B & Q (not too far away) not all stores now seem to stock it but wellingborough had one tin of each left. so if any body needs any it is best to ring before travelling. I have drilled 10mm csks on the inside of the tyres this should make for a better bond after hearing about them coming off.

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Fixing tyres

Post  Steve Traill Fri 15 Aug 2008, 11:35 pm

When I fitted my tyres three years ago I turned them inside out & on the end of the bench used a small belt sander to rough up the rubber & also make it nice & flat. I used the primer as instructed & the isoflex (which is fairly messy!) The tyres have stayed on & show no signs of letting go. To set them up once the rubber was stretched on I had a workmate type bench with a length of bar clamped so about a foot stuck out from each end. I then put a couple of 4'' blocks underneath to weigh it down so it wouldn't tip up with only one wheel on the end. As soon as the tyres were stretched on I'd put them on the bar & spin them around to centre the tyres & clean the surplus Isoflex away. It seems to go off really quickly so there is only about 5 minutes before the tyre is difficult to move. I then left them suspended on the bar for about two weeks. I found when i first used the engine that a lot o gunge got jammed in the V groove on the back wheels. A fellow builder had filled his in with black sycoflex leaving the centre about 5mm lower & flat across the width. I copied this and it makes the tyres easier to clean & has totaly stopped the stones & stuff getting jammed in the V groove.
Hope this helps

Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Sat 16 Aug 2008, 1:32 am

Managed to get the tyres on tonight the front tyres were the worst could have done with three people but managed with me and the wife (not too impressed with the mess!) the only way we managed was using knees to hold the tyre on and hands left to use lever. Filling the groove in sounds a good idea.

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Fitting the tyres

Post  Steve Traill Sat 16 Aug 2008, 6:22 pm

To help get them on if you warm them up in the airing cupboard just before you fit them they are a lot more stretchy

Steve
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Burrell Tyres

Post  greystones Sat 16 Aug 2008, 7:02 pm

I totally endorse what Steve Traills says. The main point being that the inside of the tyre must be roughed up and the metal rim clean and again roughed up. Again like Steve my tyres have been on for 3 years with no signs of movement. The only other thing which I did was to build up a fillet of rubber around the outer circumfrence of the tyre to rim and in the groove between both tyres using what was left in the tin. Not only is this asthetically pleasing but it seals the tyre to the rim and stops any muck and water creeping under and between which would cause the rim and tyre to part company. I personaly know of two other engine which have suffered from separation, in both cases the rim to tyre was not sealed . Hope this is of help to future builders Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Fitting Tyres Empty Tyres

Post  islander Mon 29 Sep 2008, 8:35 pm

I tried lots of different products to get my tyres to stick but eventually gave up and had them Vulcanised through Steam Traction World. The tyres look good and should never come off. The cost will far outweigh the nuisance value I had with tyres falling off on road runs and rally sites.

islander

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down