Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Likamobile burners

2 posters

Go down

Likamobile burners Empty Likamobile burners

Post  TB Sat 19 Jul 2008, 8:43 am

I agree with WWyman. The burner supplied can be made to work, but some mods are needed.
I run mine on paraffin, using a Danfoss 1.75 gal/hour nozzle with a fuel pressure of 160psi.
a/. It burns much cleaner. I found that diesel fumes were forming a sooty deposit on the boiler tubes, reducing efficiency and sooting up the light sensor.
b/. It has a higher calorific value so less is used, (marginally).
c/. It is cheaper than diesel, (95p/gall), and the DVLA had no objection to it being used on the road.
The light sensor should be moved as far back away from the flame as possible and it MUST be kept regularly cleaned.
The main turret (with the sensors attached) should be regularly blown down to keep the sensors free of debris or scale.
I find the air adjustment sometimes needs a slight tweak with varying weather conditions for optimum burn.
What I have found is that the burner sometimes cuts in and out on a 2 to 5 second cycle when the boiler is at full working pressure, and I suspect that the pressure switch needs attention or replacement.
The car has now done about 50 miles and the engine seems to be bedding in as the exhaust note is now sharp and crisp, so much so that several people have thought it had an old single cylinder petrol engine in it.
ps. I am based on the Essex Marshes between Bradwell-on-Sea and Burnham-on-Crouch.

TB

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Likamobile burners Empty Re: Likamobile burners

Post  likaliker Wed 23 Jul 2008, 12:19 am

Interesting comment about the burner cutting in and out. Have you seen Bill Wayman's posting on the Yahoo forum about his pressure switch 'bouncing' due to vibration and causing the burner to cut in and out?
likaliker
likaliker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down