Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring

+2
TonyT
zzr prid
6 posters

Go down

2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring Empty 2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring

Post  zzr prid Sun 10 Jan 2010, 2:43 pm

Hi
I need some Help
I am having trouble fitting the smokebox door ring into the smokebox tube. I think the ring could over size.
But the ring dose fit the boiler end of the smokebox tube.

Has any one else had this problem ?

What would be the best way to get it to fit /sort the problem ?

Thanks

zzr prid

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring Empty Re: 2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring

Post  TonyT Sun 10 Jan 2010, 2:58 pm

Hi Prid

have a look in your previous thread for help

Tony
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring Empty Re: 2"Burrell Smokebox tube / smokebox door ring

Post  zzr prid Sun 10 Jan 2010, 3:11 pm

Hi Tony

And thanks again. It looks like it will need alot of rubbing down. Crying or Very sad
But at least I should be able to do that in work, as we use alot of flapper wheels. Very Happy

Prid

zzr prid

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Mon 11 Jan 2010, 10:32 am

just had a look at the parts in stock at STW and all ours seem to fit OK !!!!

it could be possible that your smoke box has been bent out of shape during our drilling op ??? it would have been held in a three jaw chuck and may have been warped.

we do have spares in stock and i'm sure Dean would be willing to replace your parts if you can't sort it Cool

Craig

Last edited by miller on Mon 11 Jan 2010, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Mon 11 Jan 2010, 10:43 am

just had a look at the drawings and both ends of the smokebox should be the same at 121mm +0.1 -0

the ring should be 121mm +0 -0.1

if the ends of your smokebox are different I guess this is the part thats at fault !!!

craig Cool
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  zzr prid Mon 11 Jan 2010, 8:44 pm

Thank for all your help.

There was a high spot on the smokebox tube.So after a quick rub the smokebox ring went in to place.
But i now have a new problem. I am 7 Rivet Bolts (BU20314 M3x11.5) Short.

I should have checked before I started. So have come to a stop again.

How would i go about getting another 7 Rivet Bolts ????

Stuart

zzr prid

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Mon 11 Jan 2010, 9:15 pm

phone us up at STW and talk to Isobel. tell her exactly what you need (part numbers are always helpful) and we will see if we have them in stock and get back to you Cool
miller
miller

Back to top Go down

Post  zzr prid Mon 11 Jan 2010, 9:48 pm

miller wrote:phone us up at STW and talk to Isobel. tell her exactly what you need (part numbers are always helpful) and we will see if we have them in stock and get back to you Cool

Thanks for all your help. Have just sent Isobel an email with exactly what I need (and part numbers) . I hope this will be ok as I dont always have access to a phone during the day when at work.

Thank you

Stuart Very Happy Very Happy

zzr prid

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Tue 12 Jan 2010, 1:12 am

Hi,

If your after some good spray on heat proof paint in a can for the smoke box and ash pan then a company called woodstock fires LTD stock calfire stove bright stove paint. good to over 600 deg c and comes in a nice satin black or matt black

I've just re-painted my smoke box with it as I brushed it at first.. Gives a very nice finish and costs a tenner.. there on ebay if you search for stove bright.. hope this helps..

Jo

northburrell

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:10 pm

northburrell wrote:Hi,

If your after some good spray on heat proof paint in a can for the smoke box and ash pan then a company called woodstock fires LTD stock calfire stove bright stove paint. good to over 600 deg c and comes in a nice satin black or matt black

I've just re-painted my smoke box with it as I brushed it at first.. Gives a very nice finish and costs a tenner.. there on ebay if you search for stove bright.. hope this helps..

Jo

Hi guys

Good to here you are doing ok ..AS for my ring I can not rember as it was so long ago . Question
Jo it sound like your paint is a lot better than mine as I first brushed it on that was bad in the end I sprayed it on as in my tred .

Good luck with your build
Hugh
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:15 pm

Hugh i would rather not know about your ring lol!

Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 12 Jan 2010, 9:29 pm

tef 20 wrote:Hugh i would rather not know about your ring lol!

Mark
lol! lol! lol! geek albino
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  zzr prid Sat 16 Jan 2010, 7:33 pm

Hello

Thanks for all your help.
And a Big thank you to Isobel and Craig all there help with the rivets.

The rivets came today so spent most of the day working on the engine Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks

Prid

zzr prid

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Mon 25 Jan 2010, 2:18 pm

hughb wrote:
northburrell wrote:Hi,

Jo

Hi guys

Good to here you are doing ok ..AS for my ring I can not rember as it was so long ago . Question
Jo it sound like your paint is a lot better than mine as I first brushed it on that was bad in the end I sprayed it on as in my tred .

Good luck with your build
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Ye I hand painted my smokebox the first time round but wasn't really happy with the finish.. I have removed it from the boiler and stripped the paint off and taken the front ring out too. I'm about to re-spray it with the stove paint mentioned above..

northburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Mon 25 Jan 2010, 2:22 pm

Hi JO

That is a long job all I did was to get out the tape and cover the bits up :~
As I was not going to undo all them rivets.
Good luck and can you post Cool
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  northburrell Mon 25 Jan 2010, 2:42 pm

Hi Hugh,

Ye it is a long job and took a while to get all the rivet bolts out but it wasn't too bad.. My engine is nearly finished just the last few rear wheel spokes to line out and then glue the tires on, paint the rim then make the wheel with the pre lined and painted spokes.. i'll get some pic's once it's able to stand on it's wheels..

Jo

northburrell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down