Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roller build so far

+7
MikeBelham
andysleigh
Simon C
lynnr
raver
Mark the spark
Simon B
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roller build so far Empty Roller build so far

Post  Simon B Mon 06 Apr 2020, 7:08 pm

Although I started to buy the kits over two years ago, progress has been quite slow due to work commitments, however being confined to staying at home has had some advantages.  I first made a start on the tender which is nearly now ready for paint

Roller build so far Img_8311
Roller build so far Img_8310
Roller build so far Img_8312

But due to a few missing rivet bolts I've made a start on other parts which have started to come together over the last few days.  The water pump, motions, flywheel and crank will all need to be removed to allow for painting.

Roller build so far Img_8313
Roller build so far Img_8314
Roller build so far Img_8315
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 06 Apr 2020, 7:11 pm

Bit of an issue when trial fitting the gears.

Roller build so far Img_8316

The splines on the crank taper up to the diameter of the crank shaft, however I think the inner gear needs to slide into the recess of the bearing housing to allow it to clear the larger drive gear to allow different speeds to be selected. Has anybody else come across this problem or am I missing something?
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 06 Apr 2020, 7:15 pm

Few more pictures of the build so far.

Roller build so far Img_8318
Roller build so far Img_8317

Over the bank holiday weekend I'll take off the from fork and wheels and hopefully get them painted and refitted, then I can move on to fitting the steering bar and chains

Roller build so far Img_8319
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Roller build so far Empty Re: Roller build so far

Post  Mark the spark Mon 06 Apr 2020, 7:51 pm

I had a problem with tight splines on my showmans so one night I sat and watched tv with the crank between my legs and coverd the splines with Brasso and slid the gears up and down the splines one at a time until they were as smooth as silk
It worked a treat

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 06 Apr 2020, 8:20 pm

Hi Mark

I've demburred all of the splines and the two gears slide nicely up and down the splines, it just that the inner gear will not go far enough into the the main bearing housing to clear the large drive gear and allow the gears to be changed. I think either the gear needs to be machined to give additional clearance or the crank needs to be modified to remove the taper at the end of the splines adjacent to the bearing housing, I'll contact HQ tomorrow.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  raver Mon 06 Apr 2020, 8:32 pm

We had to send the cranks back for more machining on the splines to allow 2nd gear to disengage properly.

raver

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2017-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 06 Apr 2020, 10:42 pm

Hi Raver

Thanks for letting me know that the problem is with the crank, I'll speak to Will tomorrow.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 06 Apr 2020, 11:22 pm

Hi

Looking good. Not sure but the picture of the tender front. The bottom edge of the flange should have a spacer to fill the gap. Is it in place as it does not show on the picture.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 07 Apr 2020, 6:37 am

Hi Simon B
The crank had to go back to STW for a re machine along with the large gear.
They take a skim out the back of the gear and under-cut the crank at the point they radius outwards.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 07 Apr 2020, 8:09 am

Hi Lynn

The spacer piece is fitted it just doesn't line up flush with the tender base and front, but as it won't be seen when the tender is fitted it should be OK, I've also isoflexed the inside of the tender to fill all gaps. The tender will be green, but the straps and tow brackets are black, I'll fit these once the tender is painted and then re-isoflex the inside to cover the nuts and bolt ends.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 07 Apr 2020, 8:13 am

Hi Simon C

I'll contact Will today and send the parts back for the modification. The top of the left hand bearing housing needs to go back as well as it hasn't been drilled for the lid pin. I've tried to drill it myself but just keep blunting drill bits!!

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Roller build so far Empty roller build so far

Post  Simon B Mon 20 Apr 2020, 5:48 pm

The tender has been painted and fitted, a few adjustments were necessary where the tender slid over the rear wheel axle cast, very tight fit which needed a bit more than paint removing. Following fitting the tender the rear wheel, brake and gears were temporarily fitted to make sure all lined up prior to painting, bit of a problem here as two of the M6 bolts clashed with the high and low gears preventing them being fully slid home. Five minutes with the grinder problem solved.

Roller build so far Img_8322

Roller build so far Img_8320

Roller build so far Img_8321
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 20 Apr 2020, 5:55 pm

Front fork cleaned up, painted and refitted, then the piston, cross head, con rod fitted and all bearings lapped in, these all fitted really well. Really impressed with the fit, very little fettling was required to get everything to run smoothly.

Roller build so far Img_8323
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 20 Apr 2020, 5:57 pm

Roller build so far Img_8325
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 20 Apr 2020, 6:00 pm

Now turned to painting the front rolls. What a nightmare, the width of the rolls make painting the recess in the hub very difficult but got there in the end. Primer and undercoat so far hopefully the top coat will go as well tomorrow Shocked Shocked

Roller build so far Img_8326
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  andysleigh Tue 21 Apr 2020, 12:02 am

looking good!

i like the paint, what is it?
andysleigh
andysleigh

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 21 Apr 2020, 10:01 am

Hi Andy

The main traction engine is Doncaster green and the wheels are going to be mid brown. I thought about other colour schemes but still had some paint left over from my SCC build.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  andysleigh Tue 21 Apr 2020, 2:39 pm

cheers simon, looks nice!
is it craftmaster?
andysleigh
andysleigh

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Tue 21 Apr 2020, 8:58 pm

Hi Andy

Yes I've used craft master enamel, I spray rather than brush paint. You just need to thin the paint with synthetic thinners but it covers and dries really well, I use an oil filled radiator in my spray area to keep it warm and the top coat always comes out nice and shiny, just takes quite a while to fully harden. When I first fit the parts I tend to use some cotton gloves so that I don't mark the soft paint.

Cheers

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 27 Apr 2020, 6:02 pm

Lots of progress on the painting front, the front rolls are now painted and refitted and the water fill point and hose bracket on the tender have also been painted and fitted.

Roller build so far Img_8328

Roller build so far Img_8329

Roller build so far Img_8327

Then I trial fitted the steering, took a bit of fettling but now it operates smoothly Very Happy but I now need to take it off again for paint Crying or Very sad

Roller build so far Img_8330

Roller build so far Img_8331

Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Mon 04 May 2020, 5:22 pm

Had a good weekend in the garage spraying various items which I've just fitted to the engine.

Firstly the scrapers and chain guides were fitted to the front rolls.

Roller build so far Img_8333

Roller build so far Img_8332

I then fitted the top gear guard complete with the steering bracket. Bit of a problem here fitting the retaining bolts with the gears fitted. In the end I enlarged the holes in the guard and tapped the holes on the tender M6, then fitted bolts through the gear guard into the tender. Problem solved.

Roller build so far Img_8334

I then fitted the gear guard over the diff. Bit of a problem here as the larger drive gear sticks out further then the legs on the gear guard, in the end I cut a slot out of the gear guard to allow it to be fitted, there is still enough clearance to fit the rear wheel as can be seen on the second photo.

Once fitted the gears wouldn't turn as the bolts that fit the brackets to the gear guard where interfering with the gears, I ground these off but there was still a clicking noise when turning the gears. I took the guard off again and ground the nuts down a fraction, now the guard fits and does not interfere with the gears.

Roller build so far Img_8335

Roller build so far Img_8336

Finally I trial fitted the gear change mechanism, this fitted really well with the exception that the tapped holes in the top plate didn't align with the gear change lever for all gear positions, reading other threads I think this is a generic problem.

Roller build so far Img_8337

Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Wed 06 May 2020, 9:50 pm

Today I trial fitted the brake, no problems here everything went together really well, but then I fitted the pipework, this was quite difficult to fit and needed quite a bit of fettling, I had to put a few extra bends and tighten a few others to make it fit. The second picture shows a small 'u' section I put in to make the pipework fit and rise above the steam feed pipe to the injector.

Roller build so far Img_8410

Roller build so far Img_8411

After fitting the two pipes from the steam head I tried to refit the water pump so that the water pump feed and bypass pipes could be fitted, bit of a problem here as the flange clashed with the pipe and pipe nut to the steam isolation valve, 5 minutes with the angle grinder, problem solved Very Happy Very Happy .

Roller build so far Img_8412
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Fri 08 May 2020, 8:50 pm

Today I trial fitted the boiler cleading, it needed a bit of fettling but in the end it fitted well, now to take it all off again and get it ready for painting (need to get the brass banding straight next time!!) One of the rear wheels is now complete. I'm not going to line the wheels or engine as I haven't got the confidence to make a good job of it. The rear wheels were much easier to paint that the front rolls as the size allows decent access to the hub. Just waiting for the last kit, but should hopefully be in steam in a few weeks Very Happy Very Happy

Roller build so far Img_8413

Roller build so far Img_8414
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Roller build so far Empty Great to see your photos

Post  MikeBelham Sat 09 May 2020, 11:26 am

Thanks for posting your roller progress.

I am just starting a SCC kit and I am already thinking a roller might be next Shocked
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon B Sat 09 May 2020, 2:43 pm

Hi Mike

Thats what I did. I really enjoyed building the SCC, there were a few challenges along the way especially when fitting the cross head and pistons to get everything to run smoothly without binding, I had to break the no drink January as I needed to make some shims from a beer tin, much better shims than using a coke can Very Happy Very Happy . The first night I steamed it was awesome, but having finished the SCC I missed going working in the garage so took the plunge and started a roller. Its been great so far, a few issues being the first production run, but nothing that a bit of thought and a bit of fettling hasn't been able to sort. I'm enjoying the build but its nearly finished so what next!!

Regards

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next