Tender sealing insufficient

Go down

Tender sealing insufficient Empty Tender sealing insufficient

Post  elwood-59 on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm

Hi all,

after having sorted out the regulator issue (or so I hope) today I looked at the water filters in the tender, as I was using some steel wire (instead of the cable ties provided) but unfortunately I should have read the fine print, as the wire I was using started to rust. I placed a small (but strong) magnet into the tender which catched a lot of the iron particles. So far so good. Problem soved I thought.

For good measurement I took some pictures of the inside of the tender. As I had it painted professionally I could not seal the tender before installing the footplate so I had to seal it afterwards. To do so I have greatly enlarged the access cover to 180 x 180 mm so I can put both my hands in there if needed. I used Isoflex to "paint" the whole inside with a brush but now noticed that I seem to have missed an area about the size of half my pinky on the RH side close to where the bolt for the tow strap is downwards. This is where I also find some surface rust.Shocked

Now to the question: How to best tackle that? I cannot grind out the rust down to bare metal so will adding another layer of Isoflex just on top work for that? Do I need to add primer first? I do have some stuff that is to chemically turn rust into a passive coating. Or am I worrying too much (again?)

Open for suggestions Embarassed

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

Tender sealing insufficient Empty Re: Tender sealing insufficient

Post  lynnr on Wed 08 Jan 2020, 5:37 pm

Use a rust passivator. Then Isoflex primer and top gunk.

I used lacquered copper wire, transformer winding, to secure the filters.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3076
Registration date : 2010-08-06

http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Thu 09 Jan 2020, 3:44 pm

You can get stainless steel tying wire for tying up shackles on mooring chains so they don't undo. Most chandlers stock it.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 774
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum