Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Descaling a Steel Boiler

2 posters

Go down

Descaling a Steel Boiler Empty Descaling a Steel Boiler

Post  Monty Tue 12 Nov 2019, 10:19 am

Would appreciate any recommendations for descaling my 4" Burrell steel boiler.

Thanks

Monty

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-09-02

Back to top Go down

Descaling a Steel Boiler Empty Re: Descaling a Steel Boiler

Post  LiveSteam Tue 12 Nov 2019, 6:36 pm

This is what I use

https://www.hitek-ltd.co.uk/dynamic_descaler

Very pleased with the results and its cheaper than Heritage Steams version, just watch out for "foaming" Laughing Laughing

I used it on a 1 part to 4 parts water cold, lobbed it in and left it to bubble for a few hours and drained it out in to a container as it can be reused until its active part is all used up. I've found about 3 times is its limit.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Monty Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:13 pm

Hi LiveSteam,

Thanks for your response much appreciated, just one question, did you remove the two check valves or any other components.

Thanks again.

Monty

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 12 Nov 2019, 8:39 pm

Nope just isolated them, drained the boiler, put all the plugs back in (if you've taken any out) then removed the front one out of the smoke box and pumped it in using my 12v caravan type pump.
But take that bit a bit slowly as the first time I did it everything went well for about the first gallon I pumped in I then could hear a slight hissing and then all of a sudden it blew the filling pipe out of the front tube plate bung and I had a 6 foot jet of brown foamy sludge blast out of the front covering everything in front of me Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
All depends I expect on how much scale you have in it, mine hadnt been ever done and she's was 10yrs old at the time, although had only really had about 3yrs actual use.
Needless to say I added the rest a lot slower and since then other times I've taken it a bit slower Laughing although I think my jollop is now getting to the end of its life as it doesnt fizz anywhere near like it did, but then its on its 3rd use now so think its on its last legs or I've not got so much scale in there.

Dont forget to rinse the boiler out well after.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Monty Wed 13 Nov 2019, 11:27 am

Thanks again for your response most useful.

Monty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down