Water pump stopped working.

Go down

Water pump stopped working.  Empty Water pump stopped working.

Post  Bryanh9904 on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 1:50 am

Hi everyone,

My water pump has stopped working.
I’ve taken it off and the ball is still Rattling around, tightened up the glad nuts but not picking up.
Is there something I need to do to the pipes or has something gone wrong??

Bryanh9904

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2014-02-04

Back to top Go down

Water pump stopped working.  Empty Re: Water pump stopped working.

Post  lynnr on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 12:02 pm

Hi

It could be the seat for the ball has got a pit or debris allowing the water past the non return ball
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3055
Registration date : 2010-08-06

http://www.pbase.com/uisge

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 3:31 pm

Bryanh9904 wrote:Hi everyone,

My water pump has stopped working.
I’ve taken it off and the ball is still Rattling around, tightened up the glad nuts but not picking up.
Is there something I need to do to the pipes or has something gone wrong??

I had the same problem myself, and it took several attempts to find it so I understand the frustration.

As lynn has said you need to firstly clean your balls (excuse the phrasing) and re seat them checking the clearance/lift on each one.
I found silicon in the suction ball chamber, it had not made it to the seat but it could have.
Next on the list was the clack valve after re-seating its ball I found a piece of PTFE stuck in the valve port so removed that and re-packed the gland with PTFE gland packing.
Next job was the filter on the inlet pipe inside the tender, on removing the lid from the tender I found the water inside was oily and had gunged up the filters on both the pump and the injector.
On the DCC engine the steam supply to the water lifter comes from the bottom of the HP steam chest and hence has cylinder oil mixed in with it, this is how the oil got in the water tank.
Looking to re-pipe the water lifter steam supply from the blanked port on the steam head so it gets "clean" steam sometime soon.
I have made a new filter that is twice as long as the original one giving a greater area for the water to get through the gauze.
Next I re-packed the water pump gland and the bypass valve spindles.
The last job was to check the suction pipe connections, at the pump and both sides of the bulkhead fitting in the top of the tender.
As the suction pipe has no real give in its length the pipe needs to be a cosy fit between the pump and tender before tightening the nuts.
I am considering a mod on this pipe over winter to make it all one piece from the pump to the filter and converting the bulkhead fitting to a stuffing gland using O rings instead of olives, allowing the pipe to move without leaking.
The bypass pipe does not matter much if it leaks as it should only return water back to the tender when its not required in the boiler, however this one will also get the O ring mod.
Just one other modification that I have done is to put a vent pipe out the top of the tender to stop it air locking when filling from empty.
As the water goes into the tender at the bottom the air could not escape leaving the tender only half full, a great improvement to water capacity was achieved with this simple mod.
Hope some of this drivel helps find the problem please let us no how you get on.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 3:37 pm

I have a dip float in the tender top so no airlock for me. Never had a problem with "oily" water in the tender.

Also check the clack valve for the pump as if it passes at all you will not feed.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 4:04 pm

Humm

The steam supply for the lifter can not come from the HP valve chest as it would only work when the engine is running and would pulse the steam feed to the lifter. As far as I remember it comes from the same feed as the blower valve and hence comes from the boiler uplift passage before the regulator.
lynnr
lynnr

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 4:13 pm

I should check the air tightness of the pick up pipe from the tender to the pump. Especially the soldered glands on the end of the pipe. It's been known for a slight air leak around where they fit and that will stop the pump 'picking up' the water. I've had to silver solder several ends again, if you can't see a nice shiny ring of silver solder all the way around the end redo it.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C on Fri 01 Nov 2019, 4:28 pm

Steve Traill wrote:I should check the air tightness of the pick up pipe from the tender to the pump.  Especially the soldered glands on the end of the pipe.  It's been known for a slight air leak around where they fit and that will stop the pump 'picking up' the water.  I've had to silver solder several ends again, if you can't see a nice shiny ring of silver solder all the way around the end redo it.
Steve
The pickup pipe is flared now and does not have solder nipples, a questionable progression
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity on Mon 04 Nov 2019, 12:25 pm

the water lifter steam comes direct from the boiler via a take off from the steam uptake port directly under the cylinder. as Lynnr says it doesn't come from the valve chests!

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down