Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place.

4 posters

Go down

DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place. Empty DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place.

Post  BurrellSimplicity Mon 06 May 2019, 1:02 pm

We have found that the oil holes for the front hubs are drilled in the wrong place. on our hubs they are pointing towards the center of the engine and hidden by the outer spokes. they should be angled outwards from the engine and be in between the outer spokes for access..

unfortunately my dad has made up the wheels now so we are kinda stuck.. I have contacted STW to see what can be done but it's just a heads up. I think most people on the new batch might be way past the wheels by now.. maybe we were the only ones to get this. Sad

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place. Empty Re: DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place.

Post  Mark the spark Mon 06 May 2019, 2:26 pm

If you can remove the tube it should be possible to use a dremel type drill to re drill the bearing and then refit the tube

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place. Empty Re: DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place.

Post  Mark the spark Mon 06 May 2019, 2:28 pm

Where about in Scotland are you?
I am in Edinburgh

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Mon 06 May 2019, 2:48 pm

we can get the tubes out and i'm going to try and re drill the hole in the correct location and plug the wrong hole.. now the wheels are together it's a bit tight to get into it. but i will find my pillar drill flexi drive and see if that will do it..

We already know each other Mark, were in the LMRSC club i'm building 6" Burrell DCC. this is a project for my Dad to replace the Foster with once done. we are not having a very good start though.. Smoke box door hinge came bent and the smoke box packing ring was not machine concentric to the tube. replacements are being sent out..

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Tue 07 May 2019, 12:54 pm

after looking at pictures of "the President" it appears that the oilers are correct being behind the outside spokes, although most Burrells had them in-between the outer spokes.. So it is what it is correct to the prototype Smile

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Tue 07 May 2019, 1:56 pm

Here’s how they are on mine, starting to wonder if the hub got flipped around somehow during assemble. When I build mine the first time I got something turned around and it didn’t look right, with the hub ends bolted on and looking from the top down it was off to one side instead of centered. Hope this helps

DCC New batch builders check your front wheel hub oil holes are in the correct place. C6e79f10
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Tue 07 May 2019, 2:06 pm

I had thought that, but the PCD of the holes in the hub are different on each side so they only go together one way.. o well mine will match the president!

your wheels look good though and thanks for the picture..

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 07 May 2019, 3:55 pm

The Design does have the oil hole between the two outside spokes rather than behind one outside spoke, having said that it wont make any difference to the oil hole, just the ease of access, so if it doesn't trouble you then it will be fine, as you say yours will look more like president because of it.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Tue 07 May 2019, 5:38 pm

Thanks Will,

yes we can live with it and i guess it's lucky the other hub also matches! if i was that bothered I can still re-drill the hole but it's a lot of work for just an oiler!

Thanks for the help. i'll be in touch tomorrow about the other replacement parts.

Thanks,

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down