Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April, May, June 2019 production photos.

+9
BurrellSimplicity
NorfolkModelSteam
Will@STW
Goliewogs
Heavyhaul
Mark the spark
bazzer
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
craig@STW
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Empty Re: April, May, June 2019 production photos.

Post  craig@STW Fri 24 May 2019, 2:15 pm

Heavyhaul wrote:Hi Craig,
What's the latest with the last showman's kit, you said in a previous post that the final dynamo kit had been lost in the manual department. Has this issue been resolved and the kits now ready for despatch.

Kind regards
Steve Honey. (Heavyhaul)

not actually physically lost... just delayed Laughing
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Empty Re: April, May, June 2019 production photos.

Post  craig@STW Fri 24 May 2019, 2:30 pm

this weeks photos. not a lot to show this week due to the large quantities on the 6inch foden kit. the machines are running well but with numbers of up to 80 on some parts, progress is slow.

the eccentric rods (i called them lifting arms last week) are almost done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 D5xAN65

the actual lifting arms are done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 QqRVk44

and the bosses for these are turned...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 MV6Dhoy

lifting links are done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 XqqvcvO

the showmans/roadloco rear spokes were finished and the kit is being packed now...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 KTV2tsG

we also made some BU4 front spokes...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 8ZhhMpm

i've drilled the lyka seat bases so they can go off the the upholsterer...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Ia28oUf

lyka burner ducting being tested...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Rclu89W

a new but limited 4inch foden batch is being started...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 5o1CRaG

and the new welders first boiler is almost done...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 CfDhjaQ
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 06 Jun 2019, 7:31 pm

important news for those people waiting for their last showmans kit.

the last time i mentioned this was when i said it was lost in manual. probably a bad description !!! it turns out that the kit has been undergoing a fair bit of testing and R&D.

well this week the final test was done. our clean and shiny display model was retro fitted with the new design and steamed for probably the second time in its life !!

our very own steaming expert, Will, has been running it for the last day or so and we are pleased to say we are now happy with the way it runs.

It is now our number one priority to get this kit out... hopefully in the next week Cool

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Xk3btXz
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Empty Production April, May and June

Post  Heavyhaul Fri 07 Jun 2019, 7:56 am

Morning Craig,
That's brilliant news can't wait to receive the final kit .

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 07 Jun 2019, 1:00 pm

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 110
April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 210
April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 610

Hi all

As Craig said I have been testing the Showmans. During the test I took a few photos and videos that I thought you guys might like to see.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 08 Jun 2019, 11:31 am

ok, i have some photos for you this week (Holiday last week)

first the reason for the slight delay this week. i was busy yesterday and this morning trying to get these 4inch foden chassis rails finished on the big machine. working on these had meant a delay on the showmans/road loco cylinders so the sooner they were done the better. the down side of having only one large and powerful machine means we need to plan its usage carefully...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 FmVNdgA

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 BJxcOIW

only a small new batch. 6 short wheelbase and six long...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Nromsji

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 BgIQUYN

and the cylinder blocks. waiting to get back on first thing monday...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 OVy9usG

a good percentage of the work done in the last two weeks has been on the 6inch foden valve gear kit (please correct me if thats not what its called Embarassed ). a lot of work in this kit with multiple levers being machined, welded and then machined again. we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on this now...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 UsCe9oV

with a lot of parts in packing already...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 XqVgYuy

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 N4nA74e

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 73yQDH6

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 DQk0rHB

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 ZbbU3bv

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Q6kxzlF

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 08 Jun 2019, 11:43 am

as already said, the showmans dynamo has been fully tested this week. i really dont know the details of the delay but it was something to do with the heat generated during long periods of use. it would have been no good if it overheated halfway through a days steaming. we hope to get this out now as soon as possible, hopefully within a week.

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 KSlOO7O

and our show model re-fitted with its original painted housing, i wonder if its been given the new internals !!!???

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 LKxSOf6

boiler making. i think the only thing we sub-contract on the boilers is the curve in this firebox panel...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 YXIL8nz

fireboxes tacked together...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Fi2Tz29

and boiler stays. yes all these have to be machined as well, and it all takes time !!

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 GWUMCYX

and good news for lyka customers is that boilers are now leaving the factory and the next kits, pipe work/cladding etc, are being worked on.

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 Wrk50hT
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  NorfolkModelSteam Sat 08 Jun 2019, 11:56 am

Anything for the roller?

NorfolkModelSteam

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sun 09 Jun 2019, 9:37 am

That Lyka boiler kit looks a lot different from the one I received last month!!! My boiler kit was JUST the bare boiler - nothing else!! This one shown seems to have a lot more in it than mine! Why is this please?
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Sun 09 Jun 2019, 5:16 pm

Goliewogs wrote:That Lyka boiler kit looks a lot different from the one I received last month!!! My boiler kit was JUST the bare boiler - nothing else!! This one shown seems to have a lot more in it than mine! Why is this please?
Greg

Hi Greg

I believe this kit is going to a customer who didn't want to receive other kits until a certain number were ready. So this will be more than just the boiler kit, it will also be kit 19 and kit 15.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Sun 09 Jun 2019, 5:18 pm

NorfolkModelSteam wrote:Anything for the roller?

I believe that the guys are possibly working on kit 21, but are still struggling to wade through the backlog at the moment as all the work intensive kits have come around at once!

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 14 Jun 2019, 3:52 pm

some photos for this week. the 6inch foden kit is finally done and being packed today to go out early next week.

currently working on BU eccentric rods...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 ZpHuot4

water pump rods...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 LykDsjm

brake brackets...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 PftnBh8

and also making some showmans exciter brush end mountings...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 5tiDMRv

the DCC cylinders are now on the 4th axis. here mark is blowing all the ports out after machining...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 FrLGIxI

testing the laser cut parts for the lyka burner ducting are correct...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 KevmLp4

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 RH1OoC4

showmans front springs ?? in the fabrication area...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 6cyGbUf

and a pallet of 6inch foden springs back from heat treatment...

April, May, June 2019 production photos. - Page 2 XwLCeNf
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 14 Jun 2019, 4:29 pm

Showmans last kit?

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 18 Jun 2019, 9:06 am

Mark the spark wrote:Showmans last kit?

Hi Mark

I believe Ian is working on this at the moment, and I have been sending drawings and laser cutting files over to Rosemary for ordering this morning.

Thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Tue 18 Jun 2019, 1:39 pm

Will@STW wrote:

Hi Mark

I believe Ian is working on this at the moment, and I have been sending drawings and laser cutting files over to Rosemary for ordering this morning.

Thanks

Will
Hi Will
Back on 9 November 18 we were told the vast majority of parts for the last two showmans kits were ready
But you say you are still making bits

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 18 Jun 2019, 3:31 pm

Mark the spark wrote:
Will@STW wrote:

Hi Mark

Thanks

Will
Hi Will
Back on 9 November 18 we were told the vast majority of parts for the last two showmans kits were ready

Hi Mark

I believe that after we tried those parts Ian found that there were a number of changes that needed to be made, so he made the alterations for the prototype, and is now ordering the parts for those alterations, along with all the few parts that had not been ordered yet.

Thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Wed 19 Jun 2019, 5:31 pm

Will@STW wrote:
Mark the spark wrote:
Will@STW wrote:
So its sounds like we wont see the last kit till end of July or into August then?

Hi Mark

Thanks

Will
Hi Will

Hi Mark

I believe that after we tried those parts Ian found that there were a number of changes that needed to be made, so he made the alterations for the prototype, and is now ordering the parts for those alterations, along with all the few parts that had not been ordered yet.

Thanks

Will

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Thu 20 Jun 2019, 8:53 am

Is this forum the right place to post ones gripes? I would have thought privately with a direct email/phone call would have been much more appropriate?!
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 20 Jun 2019, 1:58 pm

when you have invested so much time and money into one of these kits then i can understand the frustration of not being able to complete the engine and by the sounds of it it's been going on for a while now.

STW are very good at sorting things out, I think in this case it's taken far longer than they expected. i'm sure it will turn up soon, if not it will be a no Glow!!

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Thu 20 Jun 2019, 3:44 pm

If memory serves me right the last showman kit (last batch) was a year or two ago. I can understand not being happy at this point, but it does get old hearing about it each week.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 20 Jun 2019, 4:27 pm

Yep , I'm sure STW will have it sorted soon.

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Thu 20 Jun 2019, 4:31 pm

We are indeed doing our best to crack on with the dynamo, and yes it has gone on far too long. I understand everyone's frustration, and some people have seen one of the test dynamos out and about at the rallies. since even that one went out for testing on the engine, the design has had a minor change to improve it, so even that is not the finished product! Unfortunately since we lost Steve, the electrical side of things has fallen on Ian as I don't know as much about electrical engineering as he does (I prefer mechanical). Ian is of course only one man, and he has been under pressure to get the job done quickly, whilst simultaneously trying to keep up with normal production, as well as doing repairs and any other special bits. However the parts should be on order now, if not then the balance will be on order tomorrow, in the meantime I have seen Ian working on the dynamos, and they are being sorted. Thank you to all the showmans customers for your patience (there is a light at the end of the tunnel).

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 20 Jun 2019, 5:43 pm

generating is boring anyway Very Happy

get doing some serious road miles..... way more fun!

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Thu 20 Jun 2019, 5:53 pm

BurrellSimplicity wrote:generating is boring anyway Very Happy

get doing some serious road miles..... way more fun!

Precisely why I chose the Road Loco over the Showman
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 20 Jun 2019, 7:36 pm

whilst on the topic of germinating...

Any road loco owners thought about making a steam turbine for those dark nights to run front lights or gazebo leds?

A scale Stones steam turbine would be quite a thing.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next