4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Empty Re: 4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’

Post  Midwest Steam on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 7:22 pm

Well I spend all morning getting everything lined up, drilled out and riveted. Most of the time was spend drilling the 4 corner holes, either it’s really hard steel or my drill bits are dull...bet it’s the full bits. Anyways that’s all done and the tops and bottoms have been ground down to accept the end pieces. I will have to correct the bend on the end pieces but that’s an easy fix.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 035d0710
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Ea74c310
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Thu 05 Sep 2019, 3:43 pm

I have discovered that high speed drill bits aren’t the right tools for this job. Went out and picked up some Milwaukee cobalt drill bits meant for hard steel and that made all the difference, it cuts through like a hot knife through butter.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 A844ae10
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Sat 07 Sep 2019, 2:55 am

With the last clicks of the ratchet wrench and a sign of relieve, the belly tank is finished. Time to give me fingers a well earned rest

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 855c6810
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:36 am

Still making progress, the belly tank is just about ready for paint. Have to JB Weld some of the bolt/studs for the access cover since the inserts (whatever they’re called) fell out. Still have to seal some of the inside where the end pieces attach to the rest of the tank, that’ll be done once the JB Weld has the chance to cure. Got a start with the hornplates, had a few hiccups but slowly getting it sorted out

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 6bd78810
Inside view of the tank before attaching the end plates.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 22c11510
Getting the hornplates partially assembled

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 0d92e510
Dropped the crankshaft into position just to see how it all looks.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 4ba69210
Working on the belly tank and hornplates at the same time wasn’t the best idea, although in my defense I had the tank nearly finished before taking on the hornplates
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 9:28 pm

Finished sealing the belly tank today, or at least most of it. Still have a few spots to go back over another time. Since I don’t have small hands and can’t see through steel I had to be creative with how I sealed the inside edges. Simple enough operation, just took a cheap brush and sawed most of the handle off, using a GoPro with my phone as a monitor makes it easier to see what area needs more sealer. The image on the phone isn’t in HD so it’s still a bit of a guessing game

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 8c618b10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 2b6be510
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity on Thu 26 Sep 2019, 1:20 pm

the best stuff for sealing the tanks is Cromapol roof sealant (might not be able to get it in the US) it has fibres in it along with heavy resin based paint / gunk, it sticks like S**t to a blanket and is by far the best sealer for model traction engine tanks..

looking good though.. keep it up.

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Mon 30 Sep 2019, 3:06 am

BurrellSimplicity wrote:the best stuff for sealing the tanks is Cromapol roof sealant (might not be able to get it in the US)  it has fibres in it along with heavy resin based paint / gunk, it sticks like S**t to a blanket and is by far the best sealer for model traction engine tanks..

looking good though.. keep it up.

They probably have something like that here but I haven’t looked for it. The reason I went with Flex seal was because on an ad on television they replaced the bottom of a boat with a screen door and used this stuff to make the boat watertight. Time will tell if this will hold up, I have faith that it will.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Mon 30 Sep 2019, 3:28 am

Time to do some painting! I really enjoy painting, it’s pretty cool to see parts (wheels, tender, cladding, belly tank, etc) start to come to life. The wheels and belly tank are cool to look in the raw state at but the paintwork is what really grabs people’s attention. Anytime I show off the build to friends or the folks I work with they’re amazed by the paint, honestly I’m surprised at myself to just pickup a paint sprayer and lay down such a nice finish. Sometimes I wonder why I didn’t choose a simpler design, in the end it’ll be worth it and unique. Started with 2 coats of grey primer, followed by 2 coats of gloss black, once its had about a week to fully cure I’ll mask off the edges and spray 2 coats of green.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 1cb5ec10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 14d0e710

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 4d59d810
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Thu 14 Nov 2019, 9:48 pm

The past couple of months have been kind of rough, so I wasn’t able to dedicate as much time as I wanted on the engine. As a result I have officially run out of time, winter struck early and it’s been too cold to paint. Had an issue with the paint gun where it left a terrible finish, I’ve determined it was water from the compressor and a failed water trap that caused it. Decided it would be better to strip the belly tank back to bare metal and start over from scratch with the new paint gun, even picked up a bigger air tank that would be better suited for painting (4 gallon vs 26 gallon). The bigger volume is much nicer when spraying and will be needed when it’s time to test the engine on air.

The belly tank is painted and ready for its green coat, which might have to wait until spring when the weather improves. Also did a test fit of kit 8 on the tender, although it was more out of boredom and wanting to see some kind of progress being made. I’m gonna remove everything from the tender when it’s time to mount to the hornplates to reduce risk of something getting damaged. Lastly I started laying out the engine on the floor of the garage just to get an idea how big it’s gonna be, I can smell the coal and oil already! lol!

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 9ab74010

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 1eaca610

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 30831f10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 71d06510

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 2cc45010

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Cf0dc610

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 D0071010

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Bb04ed10
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam on Fri 15 Nov 2019, 6:53 pm

Theres definitely a bit missing lol!

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Fri 15 Nov 2019, 8:34 pm

LiveSteam wrote:Theres definitely a bit missing  lol!

Now that you mention it something doesn’t look quite right, not sure what it is exactly but something is definitely missing. Very Happy

In other news Steam Traction World has a boiler with my name on it somewhere in storage collecting dust. Same with the cylinder block and the rear axle tube for the hornplates. The good news is when it gets closer to spring I’ll have enough parts to get the engine on it’s wheels.
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Sun 17 Nov 2019, 8:37 pm

The weather has worked out in my favor, plenty warm enough for a space heater to keep everything nice and warm...at least warm enough.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 C3d78b10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 5eef7510

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Ca029310

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 6e0b4c10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Ddaee510

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 D3e8f010
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 7:39 pm

Got a start on the stripes, it’s time consuming but the results speak for themself. I’ll start painting crew the belly tank next month, running low on tape!!

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 F6754210

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 5309ed10

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 3ed44010
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam on Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:22 pm

Finished the Belly Tank...almost. Still have to do a little touch-up here and there then clear coat it.

4” Road Loco ‘Rachel’ - Page 3 Bb5fb310
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum: