Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

April, May, June Production photos 2018

+3
Mark the spark
sonick45
craig@STW
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Empty April, May, June Production photos 2018

Post  craig@STW Fri 06 Apr 2018, 3:58 pm

Wow April already, and as i like to group the posts in 3 month sets, a new topic !!

first photo this month is the finished 6inch foden chassis rails. as always, im glad to see the back of these. after machining they go over to welding to have the front sections attached...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 WgQDKq9

back on the machines and im drilling the side braces...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 QHAuKV5

and checking they all fit together...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 6aa4RK8

another part seen in last weeks post was the 4inch burrell weigh-shaft bracket casting. i have just started these today. half the batch will be the standard burrell item and the other half will be the slightly modified Roller bracket...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 AKDCO8F

April, May, June Production photos 2018 RdAUjyT

another standard burrell part that will be used un the roller is the cylinder block valve buckle. again, I've just started these today...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 YaYs5lI

with our big machine finished on the chassis rails its now straight on to the final milling on the new batch of boilers that were pressure tested and signed off this week...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 4ZRXVac

April, May, June Production photos 2018 LZH34rP

and i thought i would include a few photos of the parts that have been made on the lathes this week. nothing too interesting but it does show that the machines are kept busy making all the extra parts and fittings...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 C4LBV0s

April, May, June Production photos 2018 UBrIBEy

anyone want to guess at whats being made in the welding bay this week ??? yes, its boilers again  Laughing  the main bodies of the 6inch foden boilers are tacked together...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Q7nw8lU

and then you can see how the inner fire box and stays are added and all the joins are fully welded. if you consider how hard it must be to get into all these areas and the fact that some of the welds have to be continuous, you can appreciate the skill involved in the making of a boiler.

April, May, June Production photos 2018 HdW0csV
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Empty Re: April, May, June Production photos 2018

Post  sonick45 Thu 12 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm

Craig,

I noted on your last posts that the wagon parts were mainly all sitting on the shelf waiting to go out the door.

Is there any news on the next kit?

Cheers
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Empty Re: April, May, June Production photos 2018

Post  craig@STW Fri 13 Apr 2018, 4:07 pm

Nick, yes the wagon kits have had a lot done already, but there are quite a few more parts to make. this week production concentrated on the much smaller kit for the Roller. the wagon kits are likely to be ready by the end of the month  Cool  

This weeks photos...

as said above, machine production has mainly focused on the next roller kit this week, and the kit is due to go out next week (Wednesday i think)

the rear cylinder covers that were turned a few weeks back are all finished...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Z7fg8kj

April, May, June Production photos 2018 UGEQYFg

the cylinder block valve buckles that i started last week are all done...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 LIIabxZ

The burrrel/roller weigh-shaft casting is just about done. After normal machining the casting is shortened to make it into the roller version. The central hole will also be blocked up. Why put the hole in you ask?? well all the machining jigs and their mounting pins are designed to use that hole as a datum point, all i did was drill a smaller hole and make new mounting pins  Cool

April, May, June Production photos 2018 AZrDGNu

cross-heads are on their last op...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FL55KRZ

adding the slide bar grooves...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 RJiqYUJ

and the piston rod glands are done...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 GYsfQAK

the welding section is currently welding up all the 6inch foden chassis brackets that we machined a few weeks back...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 0bn2LEx

and as for boiler making... well i went into the welding bay and the stuff on the table looked exactly the same as last week  Shocked although Harry assures me that it is a different boiler. just at the same stage of build  Rolling Eyes scroll up and look at last weeks photo... it looks exactly the same as that  Rolling Eyes

but i have got a photo of some recently finished 2inch boilers for you...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 5t5Opoh
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Mon 16 Apr 2018, 5:30 pm

Hi Craig
How are things getting on with the showmans gens?
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Welder Thu 19 Apr 2018, 10:54 pm

Is there any news on the injectors for the 4inch dcc need it to finish the thing of so I can get it tested

Welder

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2014-12-20

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 20 Apr 2018, 4:10 pm

showmans generators are waiting on a delivery of magnets !!!

injectors are currently with a subcontractor.

i only really have information on the items that are currently in production. nothing for the above items is currently being worked on on the shop floor. i would suggest a call to the office if anyone requires more details. sorry i can't be of more help Smile

this weeks photos !!! the main concentration this week has been on a couple of lyka kits. the first being brake pedals and handbrake items and the second being the cylinder blocks and crank kit...

first up are the foot plates for the pedals. on the previous lykas these were blank with rubber covers (from a classic mini). this time they have a grid pattern milled into them...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 9anECFT

the quickest way to do this in large quantities was on the angle plate, set at 45 degrees...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DIJEhbO

the only down side to this is that they had to go in twice, once for each direction of cut...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 KfxkQB2

and these are the pedal arms that they will be welded to...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 O3eFrzE

also been a lot of different brackets made for this kit. most are already packed but these ones are waiting to be welded...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 WoFNLmN

here we have a lyka cylinder block being tapped, its likely that this kit will go out before the brakes as i believe we are waiting for some bought in items, possibly flexi pipes ??

April, May, June Production photos 2018 8RIooMh

onto the wagon kits. it was said last week but there are still a number of items to make for the wagon kits, the main ones being the springs. this photo is about half the ones that need cutting and this includes springs for both types of wagon and the bowser...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 KVOqSTN

April, May, June Production photos 2018 GNqjQj8

the DCC kit 8 is almost done. this includes winch rollers, brake shaft and arms and water valve. in currently making the spring holder for the brake arms...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 11Onu91

ive also had another delivery of 6inch foden front wheels to drill and bore...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Q4IZTS6

and these water pumps have appeared from the manual section...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 YZVZKCK

in the welding section... yeah, its 6inch foden boilers again  Laughing at least its in a different position this week. as you can see, the parts that were tacked together a few weeks ago are now being fully welded. a few seconds before this photo was taken, the welds around the stays were glowing hot...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 RUGNdfq

you can see from this photo how tight it is to weld inside the fire boxes...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 K5bQKuG
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Fri 20 Apr 2018, 7:24 pm

craig@STW wrote:
April, May, June Production photos 2018 KfxkQB2

Nice. Smile

Eric
He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 28 Apr 2018, 7:58 pm

sorry for the delay this week guys, we have been really busy this week getting the Lyka cylinder and crankshaft kit ready for despatch on monday. i did find the time to take some photos but was too busy to stop and post them on friday.

Here they are...

with a delay on bought in parts for the Lyka brake kit we pushed on this week to finish the rest of the parts that go with the cylinders. these are the main engine supports...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 0cuocbK

and the cylinders...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 7cw01YK

and cylinder mounting plates...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 9g2Pkgm

the crankshafts are sent out assembled, but will need dissembling to fit...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 H0MCQBa

all the parts together...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 I9Bps14

and mounted in the chassis...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 NFffIXk

with that kit out the way we are pushing on to finish the wagon kits. i have LOADS of these brackets to make !!!

April, May, June Production photos 2018 MA7ey5E

Harry has moved on from the 6inch boilers and is preparing plates for the Roller...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 MAPZAEy

and these have just arrived, going to be fun !!!! Shocked

April, May, June Production photos 2018 CvOm01j

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 04 May 2018, 3:50 pm

this weeks photos...

most of the work on the machines this week has been for the wagon kits. one machine is still busy on the springs and the others are working on all the different brackets...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 5yOuagc

a very complicated tow hitch bracket...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 N8OqR4k

i also have these showmans brake shafts to finish, the square thread is cut on them by a subcontractor and i just have to fit, drill and taper ream the locating rings...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Fvp6UAh

something from the lathes, a Burrell chain shaft bush...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DynOH9k

we have test fitted the Lyka steam chests and valve guides to our control model...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 SZYZdTM

a pallet full of 6inch foden rear wheels have arrived. the brake drum you can see is our test jig to make sure all the holes are drilled correctly...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 UEcvtc4

6inch foden spur gears...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 XzT5JAk

and in the welding bay Harry is still prepping boiler plates. most of the counter sinking and prep is dome by hand...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 YAM8pQa
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 11 May 2018, 4:07 pm

this weeks photos...

nearly done on the various wagons/bowser kits now. the springs are finally all drilled and shaped and are just waiting to go for heat treating...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 X0zKvsK

April, May, June Production photos 2018 5SFZ1Ob

the other two machines have been busy on the various brackets, including spring mounting brackets...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 PAewCtt

April, May, June Production photos 2018 XDVULNe

April, May, June Production photos 2018 JYejuej

brake wheel brackets...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 3prB7sf

and rather complicated tow hitch brackets...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 PHUanzz

on the large machine we have just started another batch of 4inch Burrell cylinder blocks...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 S0FdqdI

April, May, June Production photos 2018 D0JCUk9

and on the large lathe, the cylinder block saddles. for those who have not seen these before, each "drum" will provide 4 finished saddles. more on these next week !!!

April, May, June Production photos 2018 CyjIzjC

April, May, June Production photos 2018 PhJWX7c

the Burrell chain shaft bushes from last week are just awaiting drilling...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 1ZwAjje

also awaiting drilling, 2inch Burrell rear wheels...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 6XghFdS

in the welding bay, something you may not have seen before. the very first stage of the boiler making process is the cutting of the barrels from the tube, each tube is cut in half to provide two barrels. this is none manually around a sheet template.

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Y1oH8sJ

and after weeks of preparation, harry is starting to jig up the first of the roller boilers...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 M2JhBFA
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 18 May 2018, 4:00 pm

this weeks photos...

all the machining work on the two wagon kits is done and the spring are now off for heat treatment. cheers

the Bu cylinder blocks that were having the bores done on the big machine last week are now moving on to the 4th axis machine. this op will work on all the remaining sides of the block, adding steam chests and all necessary holes in one go...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 QDII4xZ

remember the big drums that were being turned last week? well these are now finished on the lathe. turned inside and out, these will become the saddles for the cylinder blocks. when the blocks are finished on the 4th axis these will go on and basically end up looking like a washing machine drum !! each one will be segmented into four saddles. hopefully i will get a photo of this for next week...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 SxKP5Vl

so whats on the big machine this week then?? 6inch foden rear axle box castings...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 KyefCSJ

these are machined, bolted together, machined again, separated and then finished. this is one half having the last op done...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DGWWWjT

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Tm9U6Wx

and the other half waiting for a final skim...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 BtGgD27

April, May, June Production photos 2018 TNq29E2

and also work on the LH and RH bottom bracket plates...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 HBvdd3C

April, May, June Production photos 2018 7RAHTYo

onto boilers, and most of the parts need to be prepped for weld. some we can machine...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 XNVosok

but some parts just have to be done by hand,like the barrel. its a noisy and dusty job so harry has been banished to the back yard Laughing

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FIUdcMw
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 18 May 2018, 4:05 pm

next weeks work all cut up and ready to go...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 BxwrL7C

i was thinking i may be able to get another video next week. the saddles on the 4th axis may be worth filming Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 25 May 2018, 3:51 pm

this weeks photos...

all machining on the 6inch foden rear axle boxes is finished. all parts are being sent out as complete units to avoid any confusion...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 6PGKT48

also going with this kit are the rear brake drums, these are on the lathe at the moment and then just need the holes for the mounting lugs drilling...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 RIMsZBz

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DN4fN1R

the rest of this week has been spent on the 2inch burrell bearing housings. these are cut from solid brass. op1...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 ZIbHBV7

and then op2...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 2dY2bJV

and the other hand and the oiler cap...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 CroDQID

also making some 4inch burrell lower steering brackets...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 NjvO5lq

and the cylinder blocks are not quite finished on the 4th axis so i haven't started on those saddles yet...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Xn3EXJ3

the bought in parts for the Lyka brake kit arrived and that kit has been sent out...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 4SQxP6T

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Kb0IcY3

Showmans crank gear guards in the welding bay...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 G5ZNwhL

and the first of the Roller boilers are half done...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 EYvfyqQ
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Fri 25 May 2018, 4:23 pm

Any news on next trailer kit. Last we heard springs were off to be heat treated.

Cheers
Nick

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Tue 29 May 2018, 8:14 am

sonick45 wrote:Any news on next trailer kit. Last we heard springs were off to be heat treated.

Cheers
Nick

They should be back today (Tuesday) so all being well should despatch sometime this week

Ian

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Tue 29 May 2018, 8:47 am

Great news thankyou.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 01 Jun 2018, 4:13 pm

first, to answer a little puzzle i spotted on face book regarding the Roller/Burrell cylinder blocks that are currently in production. it was pointed out that "how can we still be making them when some roller customers had their cylinder some weeks ago", so how did we manage this ??? The roller and standard Burrell blocks are virtually the same, the difference being the roller's has 4 extra holes to mount something in a future kit. to get the blocks done on time we simply pulled some Burrell blocks from stock, added the 4 holes and sent them out. the blocks currently in production will become a mixture of both types to replenish the stock and complete the rest of the roller batch, hope this clears this up Cool

this weeks photos...

its been a short week this week and an even shorter week for me. at the start of the week Mark finished the 6inch foden rear brake drums and they have now been dispatched.

i returned on Thursday to carry on with the 2inch bearing housings...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 CLD0rXP

April, May, June Production photos 2018 R2TFu8z

im also working on the small "fins" that get soldered in before the final operation...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 KdZENs8

the 4th axis machine is now free so i have finally made a start on the cylinder block saddles. for anyone who was struggling to work out how those drums become saddles, hopefully this will help...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FbnY29W

they do have a run time of over an hour, and it also runs with coolant, so taking a video is going to be fun, but i do hope to create some kind of film before the last one is done...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Pd9IcPW

on the lathes, showmans/road loco HP pistons...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 KARfAFu

and in the welding/ manual area they are currently working on the water cart main tank...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 CGxrIVh

and the end plates...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 BUcNzR0

and harry is working on a small scale lyka boiler to test and prove the fit of the tubes...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 OYm4EHl

Good news for the people waiting for the new Showmans generators. out test model has been finished and tested...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Il38Pwq

here are the original internals...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 BWC5CFn

and our modified ones, using a set of very strong magnets. so strong that you could hardly lift the box they came in if it was placed on anything metal !!!!

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FhgT7XH

and does it work ??? yes it does. spinning at just 510 rpm the output was 13 volts at 30 amps (quoted from Ian, so forgive me if thats wrong but electrics are not my thing). anyway. it is very impressive as our set of test bulbs is almost impossible to look at !!!

April, May, June Production photos 2018 85X9vZi
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for the update on the showmans gen it looks great cant wait to fit it
Mark

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Sun 03 Jun 2018, 11:15 am

craig@STW wrote:
April, May, June Production photos 2018 FbnY29W

they do have a run time of over an hour, and it also runs with coolant, so taking a video is going to be fun, but i do hope to create some kind of film before the last one is done...

Nice! Looking forward to the dramatically speeded up video.

Eric

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 08 Jun 2018, 3:50 pm

got the video done. its actually dramatically edited instead of speeded up Laughing

it is basically one program that is run 4 times around the drum. so each saddle uses the same set of code but to move to the next segment i simple do a 90 degree movement in incremental mode. thats why you can see the drum jumping back and forth sometimes. at over an hour long, i didn't film the full run, but you can see most of the work done on one segment. you may also notice that not all the segments have been worked on. again this was just to speed up the filming...

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 08 Jun 2018, 4:03 pm

this weeks photos...

so after the saddles are machined they go to the manual section to be separated and cleaned up. after that they come back to the machines to be countersunk. this is done on the "inside" and the saddle has to sit at the correct angle...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 O9kIjUH

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FFwXEqZ

most of this week has been spent on finishing the 2inch bearing housings. after machining all the sub-assemblies they are silver soldered together and then come back onto the machines for final milling. the RH housing...  

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DPPzcqf

LH housing...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 FWJRatK

and LH cap...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 XEI7oEO

also working on some 2inch spokes...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 HM1poW0

April, May, June Production photos 2018 O3kx2eI

Harry is welding up fire boxes...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 2ut2yct

and 6inch foden brake bands are being formed...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 LXUsCCU

also this week we have had a delivery of wood for the wagons, this is just half of it. all final cutting and drilling is done by us...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 SyeAXrz
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Empty April,May & June Production

Post  Heavyhaul Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:11 am

Hi Craig,
Once again great photo's showing the work in progress look forward to the updates every week. Following the successful testing of the new inners for the showman's dynamo's, any idea when we will be getting the final two kits ?

regards
Steve

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:52 pm

this weeks photos. first off, the showmans dynamo kits. well the testing is still going on. this week we have made a new "smaller" version of the prototype. this gives out even more power than the larger one and will be able to fit into both casings. i dont know when these last kits will be going out as the next stage is to work out how it will fit to the existing parts and manufacture any bits needed...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 3QqS51M

on the machines this week, showmans/roadloco bearing housings...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 NLtz6r4

and various levers for the 6inch foden rear brake kit...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 SuAL6yX

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Er69zTy

a slight difference on the new batch of this kit is that the rear shoes will be a fabricated part rather than the cast parts we used before. this is because we had a really hard time getting them cast without them cooling too fast and going rock hard. these fabricated shoes will need final machining but hopefully they will be better to work on...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 N0gT0Vf

April, May, June Production photos 2018 Vmo8FSS

6inch foden crankshafts being assembled...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 ARf7Vjl

Lyka pistons...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 N4JTbP1

and more engine parts...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 ZgyTFsi

and rear bench seat frames...

April, May, June Production photos 2018 DskEDkY
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 15 Jun 2018, 3:59 pm

just to let you know that next weeks photos may either be delayed or they could even be a bit early.

we are all helping set up at the Banbury show next Friday so the photos may have to wait till the weekend. But if i do get some spare time next Thursday there is a chance i may post them early Laughing Laughing
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 15 Jun 2018, 4:45 pm

The new dynos look great cant wait to fit and run them
Thanks for the update

Mark the spark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next