Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regulator puck

Go down

Regulator puck  Empty Regulator puck

Post  LiveSteam Thu 29 Mar 2018, 6:57 pm

Have finally managed to get to a lot of the jobs on the burrell which included sorting out the leaky/whisping safety valves with some timesaver compound which has worked wonders and they are now totally silent until they get about 5psi below them lifting and then they shut up shop back to their silent state, where as last season they were always whisping away.
Only took three attempts to get them reset which I was pleased about, 1st attempt was miles out and at 130psi I threw the towel in has they didnt seem to be even close (even though I counted the turns and measured the protruding thread), next attempt managed 124psi, wound it back 1.5 flats on the nut and they are now spot on Cool

Anyhow as the safeties have been on and off a few times I thought I might as well attend to my leaky regulator puck, my question is while flattening the puck, with some timesaver, and then polishing it further has given it a nice smooth surface now what does one do on the block seat ?

Of course during all this the bottom gauge glass seal seems to thrown a wobbly and needs looking at now as I dont think the gauge glass protector is suppose to fill up with steam and water Rolling Eyes

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Regulator puck  Empty Re: Regulator puck

Post  LiveSteam Fri 06 Apr 2018, 11:01 pm

Well without further ideas I opted for wrapping some wet and dry around the puck and gentle rubbed it back and forth in the block, didnt go mad as I didnt want to make things worse.
End result on the last steaming the other week was mixed, the puck that I smoothed back with some timesaver and the wet and dry on the block appears to have improved the minor leakage but only by 15-20% so I think I'll do a bit more on the block next time.
The leak is fairly nominal and just means the engine just ticks over, even on the red line, and you can stop the fly wheel with the lightest of pressure of ones little finger, so its nothing that major.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down