Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Seat setup

+3
lynnr
LiveSteam
Mick1020
7 posters

Go down

2 Seat setup Empty 2 Seat setup

Post  Mick1020 Tue 16 Jan 2018, 11:53 pm

Hi all
Just started to build the twin seat setup

[img]2 Seat setup FGaylS7[/img]

[img]2 Seat setup BGZSnMw[/img]

Mick1020

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Back to top Go down

2 Seat setup Empty Re: 2 Seat setup

Post  LiveSteam Wed 17 Jan 2018, 5:55 pm

Looks to be a good start although have you checked the castors for their loading characteristics, they "look" a little on the light weight side. Watch out if they are cheapy Chinese castors as the tyres dont seem to fair well if they are loaded to anywhere near their max. Seen a few folks with trollys with similar tyres not lasting that long ?

Be interesting to see how you do the hinge mech between the engine and seat, I've followed a couple of different ideas folks have had.

Certainly a good start Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Wed 17 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

LiveSteam,The casters which i have not sure if they are from the land of chop sticks but was mainly looking for a good thrust bearing on the unit as the wheel can be change at a later date, the connection to engine frame is next thing to be done

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 17 Jan 2018, 7:51 pm

Mick1020 wrote:LiveSteam,The casters which i have not sure if they are from the land of chop sticks but was mainly looking for a good thrust bearing on the unit as the wheel can be change at a later date, the connection to engine frame is next thing to be done

Its generally only the tyre and tube that fail from what I've seen, although I've seen some chop stick steel turn to jelly before now when you ask it to do any real work Laughing Laughing Laughing
All the swing arm bits are the interesting bits to get right from what I've seen.
Keep up the great work with pictures Cool

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 17 Jan 2018, 8:30 pm

Ah the beauty of a Showman. No wheelies. My seat frame "hangs" on the bunker but is full width so reaches the corners and is strong. I do sit close to the engine so no real torsion on the bunker.

I have noticed at a number of rallies that the single wheel cantilever seat works the best. Especially on uneven ground.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Wed 24 Jan 2018, 12:24 am

Hi Lynnr, no problem with seating on the DCC less work to do, there is a double seat supplied in the kit but i have seen a few mods done to them, personal preference which is a good thing

Progress, a few more pics

The 8mm rods act as a torsion bars for uneven ground
2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup R2IjVtpl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup K98ITr4l" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup SPVwx4pl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup Q9lRKCwl" />

Just to make other seat & foot rest then remove, finish welding & clean/Paint, will be fitting a tool box in between seats as well

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  Irish Burrell Fri 26 Jan 2018, 2:13 am

Surely you'd put a cupboard in for the milk and cups for the tea! You'll be a popular man this year Mick lol!
Will you be up at Carnew in Feb?
Irish Burrell
Irish Burrell

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Fri 26 Jan 2018, 11:18 pm

Hi Keith, could fit two small oak barrels under seats for the Black Barrel Jameson  drunken  & then have the tea for the cure  pale
I will be at Carnew in Feb, going up on the Saturday, have you done any more building of the SCC

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

2 Seat setup Empty Wicked Whiskey

Post  Irish Burrell Sun 28 Jan 2018, 5:42 pm

Haha that's the way to go! Not a lot done now catching up with the paint brush and now adding a shed extension (Hindsight would be a wonderful thing for this build!)
Irish Burrell
Irish Burrell

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Sun 28 Jan 2018, 11:19 pm

Progress & finished, just the tool box next

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup 9pNfFJCl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup 6OL5jSWl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup UEeU2jFl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup 9844sBal" />

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:36 am

Looking good, like the back rests, the steam apprentice guys have a two seat set up on their Burrell & that works fine.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 29 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

Looks good, very smart, still slightly concerned over the caster size, especially on a moist rally field, but that will come with some real life testing.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:11 pm

I also think the tie bars might be to short for uneven ground. Also some form of stop will be required to prevent hands and fingers being crushed between the moving and fixed parts of the seat.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:18 pm

I mean the trap point at the bunker edge. My tie bars are 280mm centre to centre and believe me I have had the seat move the full travel from top to bottom negotiating short sharp slopes.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Tue 30 Jan 2018, 1:18 am

Many thanks for your help full suggestions,

Chris, your right about the wheels after taking them out of there frame there is a plastic bearing inside so they may not even last a day

Phil, I know there is not that much travel in having the short link arm's but when making the frame i accounted for it, if needed longer arm,s  will pass thou to the rear up rights, after going on road runs & rally's there was not that amount of gradient change in a very short distance to allow for greater movement, but as said time will tell when in use & if needed can change to longer arms, there is also a movement stop in the link tow bar, if i do find that move movement is required the stop will be on tool box which is not yet fitted

Many thanks again for any suggestions any one has, always intrested in them,

I do wish that the SC had more weight so that the double seat could be fixed to tender as the DCC , I think it just looks better without the extra wheels on the back & its not just the double seat ,have noticed that when towing any heavy loads when using the single seat she has a tendency to pull the front end up a touch but if i take my weight off the seat she's back down, I have added about 10kg to the front axle which does improve it but don,t won't to add more as the load on the upright pin & axle may not be designed for it i think. Please correct me if i,m wrong on this as it could be a soloution  
I,m talking my self into buying a DCC, problem solved.

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:25 am

Trust me, your new seat will be a lot more comfortable........ Very Happy
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Tue 30 Jan 2018, 7:19 pm

Hi Mick
you might wish to check this company out. they do ball raced castor sets and also replacement wheels. You may with a load of Irish look find a wheel that will fit into your existing swivels meaning no re-drilling cutting or welding, good luck on that.

as for the loading on the front axle as you increase the weight on the back seat you decrease the weight on the front end. thus removing the stresses that are of concern to you. however if your passenger then gets of you will need to compensate by removing the weight from the front as well.

All this to one side the front axle should have been designed to take the full static weight of the engine ( boiler full,no water in the tender and no driver)
You can measure this using a couple of sets of bathroom scales one under each front wheel. Now with the help of a glamorous assistant sit your self on the engine on a normal tender mounted seat and take a second reading from the scales. The difference between these 2 readings will be the amount of weight that needs to be added to the front axle to neutralise the weight of the driver.
now the weight of the passenger can come and go without concern for front axle loading.

PLEASE DON'T run of and start this process just yet read on:- all this sea-soaring of weight sounds great but if you put a bigger weight on the back now just because you can then please remember that all the extra weight has gone on the fulcrum point, and that is the back axle and that is probably an almost certainly not designed for that kind of force.

"oh sod it" a DCC with a full roof and a dynamo for ballast its the only way forwards.

castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/heavy-duty-ball-bearing-wheels-castors.html?

Simon C ( a full roofer )
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Tue 06 Feb 2018, 3:05 pm

Simon C, thanks for the info & link for the wheels will be placing an order for them

Was at the Carnew Model show on Sunday for the first Ireland miniature steam rally, a good test for the twin seat, there were no problems with it & worked perfect for the day

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup QD6x9MNl" />

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 06 Feb 2018, 5:40 pm

Excellent news, looks like it was a bit moist. Nice turn out mind looking at the engines in the distance.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Fri 16 Mar 2018, 10:24 pm

Tool box finished

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup 16g8qfxl" />

2 Seat setup <a href=2 Seat setup Fmx9Lubl" />

Mick1020