Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Photobucket

+2
Mike King
Proby
6 posters

Go down

Photobucket Empty Photobucket

Post  Proby Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:21 pm

Hi all,
Flicking (spelt correctly) back through the threads I noticed some of the great photos have disappeared, very annoying, and it appears photobucket now wants you to give them £309 per year to use/view their service. Am I right or is this old news. I for one am not paying that amount. They can get stuffed. Surely there must other ways to view them.

Proby

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-09-28

Back to top Go down

Photobucket Empty Re: Photobucket

Post  Mike King Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:24 pm

That sounds like a scam to me.

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Proby Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:32 pm

Hi Mike,
Look for photos on Chas's 'My burrell new build' for example.

Proby

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

I'm afraid its been this way for a month or two now.

No way around it although I believe Lynn is looking into it.

PaulC

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 10 Aug 2017, 12:48 pm

Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe a dedicated Facebook page may be the way forward. Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Thu 10 Aug 2017, 1:04 pm

Hi All

Photobucket changed their T&C's a month ago quietly. Now to be able to link any picture to "off-site" pages requires the ransom of $400. My picture tally is over 3000 on photobucket. Mine show at the moment as i have grandfather rights, as i purchased a elevated account due to bandwidth issues (Very popular thread I believe)

Facebook at first glance sounds a good idea but a lot of people do not do facebook and the privacy settings etc can also be problematic especially for no FB users.

I have started using imgur.com for my picture hosting as I have been using it for game screenshots for a while now.

I was looking at a "off line" download but half way through it started to fail. I think photobucket was blocking the traffic. This would have allowed us to take a static snapshot with photos intact and then carry on with another picture host.

Unfortunately wherever we go for "free" picture hosting the spectra of T&C change and ransom exists.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

Mike King wrote:Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe a dedicated Facebook page may be the way forward. Mike

Please no, not Faceache, it just wouldnt work, theres zero abilty to seach for threads and stuff just gets burid so quickly.
Facebook is fine for meet and greets etc and for folks to post what they are having for dinner (why do they do that? ) but its a complete non starter when it comes to holding a useful database picture builds and problem solving threads etc.

Currently I've just been inserting photos into short video montages and uploading them to youtube but its a bit of a faff. The forum here does offer a 3rd party hosting using the far left icon in the message reply window (the one with the youtube icon in ) but its unclear where they are hosted and theres no easy way of controlling it.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 10 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

Lynn@STW wrote:

I was looking at a "off line" download but half way through it started to fail. I think photobucket was blocking the traffic.

Oh thats a shame, thought you'd sussed that one, you could be right with that as folks are finding it extreemly hard to even re-download their albums to take them away from the site and are saying PB are throttling the downloads considerably, might be worth trying to slow the process down if you can or do it in batches ??

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Mon 21 Aug 2017, 10:48 pm

LiveSteam wrote:
Mike King wrote:Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe a dedicated Facebook page may be the way forward. Mike

Please no, not Faceache, it just wouldnt work, theres zero abilty to seach for threads and stuff just gets burid so quickly.
Facebook is fine for meet and greets etc and for folks to post what they are having for dinner (why do they do that? ) but its a complete non starter when it comes to holding a useful database picture builds and problem solving threads etc.

Not strictly true. If you have a Farcebook group it is possible to search within the group, and for certain people within the group. I know it is,I was doing it this morning.
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 22 Aug 2017, 10:23 am

ejparrott wrote:
LiveSteam wrote:

Not strictly true.  If you have a Farcebook group it is possible to search within the group, and for certain people within the group.  I know it is,I was doing it this morning.

Ah I see, and you are correct as I've just tried it myself and it does work, although I have to say it just seems a bit clanky and less browsable, unless you were to make sub groups within groups which might work, otherwise you'd need a group for each heading that we have here. I still cant get my head around the privacy side of things on there either, really annoys me when someone "tags" you in something without even asking, just think its plain rude, you may not want to be "tagged" saying you were at x y or z. Maybe its cos I'm old and dont want everyone to know my business Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm

Oh yes, totally agree, a proper forum is way better for organising threads in a way that they can be properly catalogued and later searched with relative ease.

It is possible to set your account on Farcebook so that if someone 'tags' you in something you have to approve it before it appears on your wall. I have this set up, but don't ask me how I did it!!! I'm told it's also possible to set your account so you only see groups that you've joined, and not everybody's posts about what they had for dinner yesterday...I've not found how to do this though
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 29 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

ejparrott wrote:

It is possible to set your account on Farcebook so that if someone 'tags' you in something you have to approve it before it appears on your wall.  

Doesnt stop them tagging you mind Neutral just means it doesnt end up on your own news feed Neutral

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down