Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

injector and injector valve.

3 posters

Go down

injector and injector valve.  Empty injector and injector valve.

Post  Mike King Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

I'm wondering if anyone can advise. At long last I have found the time to check my compketed engine for water leaks, starting by filling the tender. Upon filling and opening the stop cock to feed to injector, water drips from the bottom of the injector spout. As I'm not well informed on this, is this small spout meant to take in air when steamed up, or do I have a problem? The other issue is that the on/off valve does not completely seal when turned off. Can anyone please advise me. Regards Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

injector and injector valve.  Empty Re: injector and injector valve.

Post  Lynn@STW Mon 07 Aug 2017, 1:22 pm

Hi Mike

For the benefit of everyone.

When the water tap is opened to the injector from the tender. You will get water flowing out of the "overflow/bypass" port on the injector, the open hole pointing downwards. This is normal and is also used to cool the injector before use.

To use the steam injector.
First open the tender water valve and confirm water issue from the overflow.
Open your steam valve on the steam head for the injector. This will introduce the injector effect.
You might get a splutter from the overflow and if there is not enough steam, the water flow will increase out of the overflow.
Once you add enough steam. The injector will "pickup" This will be a visible drop in the quantity of water out the over flow and once you get use to the sound. You will hear the water going in to the boiler. Once water is being introduced to the boiler, the pressure gauge will display a steady decline as the cold water input dampens the heat in the boiler and the steam pressure.
At this point balance the flow between the steam valve and the water valve so little or no water issues from the overflow.
Once balanced you will hear a "slup slup" noise from the injector.

Sometimes to get the injector to pick up. You have the water on full and steam on. If you kick off the water valve and back on quickly this usually get the "pickup" to happen.

If all you get is steam issuing from the overflow port. Turn everything off and start again. Water on, add steam and balance.

Remember. If your tender water gets too hot you will have problems getting the injector to pickup and start. Pour cold water over the injector often gives enough cooling to get things going.

Also the injector will only normally work in the upper 1/3 or so of the normal working pressure.

Hope this helps everyone and remember a question is only silly if you already know the answer.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Mon 07 Aug 2017, 1:59 pm

Thanks Lynn,
Also many thanks for the telephone call this morning as well regarding the leaking tap. Regards Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 07 Aug 2017, 10:46 pm

Thanks Lynn. Very informative.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down