Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New boilers

4 posters

Go down

New boilers Empty New boilers

Post  futura9838 Sat 29 Jul 2017, 6:01 pm

Could anybody explain the difference between the new and the old boilers for the car's I have seen that they are changing but I don't profess to understand it thanks tony

futura9838

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2016-08-31

Back to top Go down

New boilers Empty Re: New boilers

Post  He Who Must Not Be Blamed Sat 29 Jul 2017, 6:15 pm

The 'original' Likamobile boiler is a water tube boiler and looks like this:

New boilers American_steam_automobile_company_1926_boiler_brochure_p_1

I expect the new one is a fire tube boiler much closer to the original Stanley brothers design. I'm hoping the burner will also be more like the original design, without the battery, switches, converter and electric fan.

Eric
He Who Must Not Be Blamed
He Who Must Not Be Blamed

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2013-08-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Sat 29 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

Eric, I suspect that the burner will be of modern design - with battery switches, converter and electric fan because how else will it work? The original design worked by way of a system using pressurised petrol (gasoline) which was dangerous for obvious reasons and certainly would not be allowed on public roads today. The only question that I may have is why is the burner operation not 12Volt and then at least do away with the necessity of a converter! Perhaps the new Mk2 Lykamobile is fitted with a 12 Volt burner - I don't know - perhaps worth while putting this question to Lynn or Dean!

Goliewogs (Greg)

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

New boilers Empty 12 volt burner

Post  jjtjr Sat 23 May 2020, 2:10 pm

I agree with the 12 volt burner change. When I first purchased my car it had the 220 volt burner and inverter after a few fire ups I soon realized it was going to be a problem. The inverter would at time go into overload and the burner purge time would cause the boiler pressure to drop even further. At that time I changed it to a 12 volt DC type which made things much simpler. The inverter was removed with associated wiring and efficients, which means  battery run time will be longer. the burner purge time is now gone and associated pressure drop.    After driving the car since 2011 I have had good success with these change. As time ticks by, there has been other changes made to improve the driveable and reliable of the car. Its all been a lot fun with  this project and as new problems pop up changes will also be made, but it looks like its near its end.
jjtjr
jjtjr

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down