Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canvas Covers

3 posters

Go down

Canvas Covers Empty Canvas Covers

Post  LiveSteam Tue 18 Jul 2017, 2:59 pm

Anyone got any ideas for a canvas cover for a 4" Agri, Mick Cox of I think DC Products doesn't do them any more Crying or Very sad

Most of the places all seem to do the plastic lorry type tarp rather than to good old Canvas stuff.

Preferably Hampshire/West Sussex sort of areas

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Canvas Covers Empty Re: Canvas Covers

Post  lynnr Tue 18 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

For Crystal I used Tom Morrow Tarpaulins Inverness. Does good canvas but can be a bit expensive.

For my trailer I used https://www.cunninghamcovers.co.uk Good price, spot on measurements and fit. Lots of choices and good advice.
They took my drawing and created a perfect fit in less than 2 weeks turn round.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 18 Jul 2017, 10:33 pm

Cheers Lynn, just think I'm going to need to take the engine to someone to get them to advise on measurements and also discuss options.

A thought I've had is the ability to cover it but allowing the chimney to still vent for the times when I want to cover up (with the fire all but out) but still being able to cover it bar the Chimney, then once its stopped hissing and gurgling just slip over a chimney type condom or flappy thing. Thought process is if covered while still gurgling and hissing its going to create moist sauna type environment which will enhance the rusty look Laughing Laughing Laughing

Does that sound feasible/worth while or should I stick to a regular full on cover ??

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Tue 18 Jul 2017, 11:50 pm

I bought a 12 x 9 tarp down in Cornwall, from an industrial department store near Camborne, it fits round my Foden very well so I have not tried to alter it to fit.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 19 Jul 2017, 9:29 am

Hi

On Crystals cover. I have a removable sock for the chimney. Slips over and velcros on. I routinely cover Crystal while in steam.
She has not suffered as the canvas is porous to water vapor but not droplets. So rain stays out and steam gets out.

I often dry my overalls hanging over the view area in the man stand over night and they are often still warm in the morning.

Leave about 4" gap around the bottom for tie down and allows air to circulate.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 19 Jul 2017, 7:14 pm

Hadnt thought of that aspect Lynn, thanks.

I'll continue rumaging down sarf for a decent company who does canvas, issue here is being so close the water its all boaty stuff and 9 times out of 10 anything to do with boats is twice as expensive it seems Rolling Eyes

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down