Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another newbe from Scotland

5 posters

Go down

Another newbe from Scotland Empty Another newbe from Scotland

Post  clivesc Fri 20 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I took the plunge and purchased the part built 4.5" Foden Artic as advertised in Nov last year.
At the moment I am fixing up my garage for a man cave and now foden workshop, complete with wood burner stove.
I have dismantled all the part built bits, as I want to build it up and to understand how it all works together.
There are two questions on my mind at the moment, sure there will be many more, so how do you fill the boiler with water prior to steaming and which way do you operate the steam regulator ie push it forward or pull back to admit steam to cylinders?

clivesc

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-01-20

Back to top Go down

Another newbe from Scotland Empty Welcome

Post  atomenter Fri 20 Jan 2017, 5:43 pm

Hi Clive,
Welcome to the Foden Builders!!  Left you a message on your phone last night.  I have kept a build diary all the way through my build and you are welcome to come and have a look at that and also my engine.
Boiler is filled via the blowdown valve (I fitted a hose rough to mine)
Regulator is forward to allow more steam.

All the best with your build
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Another newbe from Scotland Empty Re: Another newbe from Scotland

Post  clivesc Fri 20 Jan 2017, 6:41 pm

Thanks Tom
At the moment sitting in a ship up in Norway, but we are on route to Bergen and will be home Tuesday, calling into STW on drive up from Gatwick, 60th birthday holiday.
I wondered if it was that straightforward to fill boiler, and that also explains the vee to file within the regulator.
Have seen pics of your foden on the forum but of course would love to see it in the flesh, will give you a call next week.
Regards
Clive

clivesc

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 21 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Hi clive welcome to the Foden club, the V in the regulator chest is to allow the steam through slower rather than a sharp burst. When i first built mine i didn't use the V and the regulator was far from smooth when opened, then i filed the V in and it made it a lot smoother to operate

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mikero Sat 21 Jan 2017, 6:27 pm

Hi Clive

I made a fitting for the extra whistle hole in the top plate. It takes a hose fitting, an airline fitting and a blanking plug. I also had a Schrader fitting as well but I now use a replacement top plate on the advice of Steve Traill. It carries the Schrader and a bolt to drive the regulator puck down hard for hydraulic tests. When filling you have to remember to shut the regulator or you will get a smokebox full of water.

Mike
mikero
mikero

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 21 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

I will be silver soldering a machined down hose lock end on my blow down to fill the boiler
I have used this method for many years on my locos and never had a problem it is also very neat and quick to use
You can also use it at the end of the day to clean down the engine if you make up a hose with a heat proof handle
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  clivesc Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:15 pm

Hi Russ
There is no vee at present hence my question, how big a vee did you file.

Clive

Last edited by clivesc on Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

clivesc

Back to top Go down

Post  clivesc Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:21 pm

Hi Mark
Does that mean you use boiler water to wash the engine down, or do you but it into a bucket with some cold water to wash the engine down?

clivesc

Back to top Go down

Post  clivesc Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:35 pm

Hi Mike

I like the idea of a replacement cover for doing the hydraulic, best onto my to do list.

Clive

clivesc

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Sat 21 Jan 2017, 8:49 pm

Hi Clive
I use it to wash off any steam oil on the engine and motion work as this can stain the metal work and paint work and can be very difficult to remove when it cools down
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hartshaulage Sat 21 Jan 2017, 9:18 pm

Hey Clive

I think the V i filed was about half a needle file, it dosent need to be very big just enough to allow a little steam through

Russ
hartshaulage
hartshaulage

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2014-01-22

Back to top Go down

Another newbe from Scotland Empty Engine Running on Air

Post  clivesc Mon 20 Mar 2017, 11:06 pm

Since picking-up my artic swb from Daventry, way back in November, I have been busy clearing out my garage of all that rubbish that I have collected over 3 decades, and have now created my workshop or more appropriately my man cave complete with log burner, lathe, milling machine and suitable benches, my wife has even suggested that the dogs old bed should be placed near the log burner so he could join me, to complete the man cave look.
Anyway I have dismantled the the partly built engine, to check it out and learn how it's made and assembled. I've had to replace the bearings in the eccentrics as they were rough to run by hand, had to machine the nickel plating off the flywheel as it was delaminating itself, the cuts on my thumbs testify to that.
Having set-up the engine to run on air, and then ran it for 10 min or so I noticed when turning it over by hand there was a marked stiffness, so l disconnected the eccentrics and the engine turned over very easily and smoothly. Having given the problem some thought and a little bit of research on other Web sites, I made up spacers in brass so that the eccentrics are now held square on the crankshaft.
Result, the engine now runs freely and smoothly, it can run really slow with a fantastic soundtrack at the chimney, could watch it for hours, very hypnotic and calming.
Now turning my thoughts to the regulator design, as on full throttle it covers over the forward steam entry hole from the boiler.

Offcourse I have to mention Tom Armet for giving up his time to answer my many questions, much appreciated, I'm sure I'll have more.

Clive Scott

clivesc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down