Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6" Foden SWB

5 posters

Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty 6" Foden SWB

Post  Watts&Son Wed 11 Jan 2017, 9:24 pm

We have recently received the first kit for the Foden, really heavy, we will probably get a few kits before we start putting things together. The forum is a bit slow lately, so I will try and post progress as we continue, there is always a wealth of information on the forum. I have not posted picture before but I will try and do so. I would be interested in anyone else starting their build. Kind regards David.

Watts&Son

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty polishing the shiny bits

Post  Watts&Son Sat 29 Jul 2017, 8:29 pm

When we built the road loco all the brass and copper was polished by hand, hard work. I would like any information on mechanical polishing and where to buy the products. We have just received the latest kit for the Foden, all the front end, smokebox, chimney etc. We are taking the road loco and the front of the Foden to Carfest South. Don't know if anyone is going, it would be nice to meet up. Unfortunately it clashes with Dorset, over the bank holiday weekend. Thanks David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty Re: 6" Foden SWB

Post  lynnr Sat 29 Jul 2017, 8:49 pm

I used the polishing kit as supplied by Frost Automotive restorers
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty polishing

Post  Simon C Sat 29 Jul 2017, 9:45 pm

hi all
i have been building a showman for the last 14 months now and have just finished polishing all of the Oliver's no mean task I can say.
I obtained a bench polishing machine from Metal Polishing Supplies UK Ltd in Pompy.
they have a good web site with some real useful info, my kit had all the gear to polish brass, steel & stainless so i polished my drive pins before fire bluing them it made them look like Xmas tree baubles but i like them.
Simon

Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 29 Jul 2017, 9:57 pm

As the above, I picked mine up in Machine Mart, and the polishing kit for it came from Frost.   It made the task much quicker than by hand, although some was still hand polished.   The rough cast brass fittings for example cleaned up lovely.

I used this also to polish all the motion before fitting.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty polishing the shiney bits

Post  Watts&Son Tue 01 Aug 2017, 9:30 pm

Many thanks for the replies, I have ordered a polishing kit from Metal Polishing supplies to convert my bench grinder, should make things a lot easier. Regards David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty Rust prevension

Post  Watts&Son Mon 25 Sep 2017, 10:18 pm

I have just started sanding the chassis and have removed any rusty areas, I was thinking of treating the chassis with a rust converter would this be a good idea and would the primer stick to the metal as good as priming bare metal. We are using Craftmaster paints, primer undercoat and top coat. The finish will be chassis, Alfa Red and the main body Crimson Lake. We are going to crack on with the build, as we have 8 kits now. All the kits look superbly made so we can't wait to start building. I say we but my son is more into running engines than building them. Trouble is a lot of the parts are a 2 handed job. Anyway, I don't know if I will be posting pictures during the build as I am not sure how to post them and would there be the interest, as there have been many posts previously building Foden's. Thanks David.

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Post  parador Tue 26 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm

David
Your build posts would certainly be of interest. Post away!
Regards
Martin

parador

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

6" Foden SWB Empty 6" Foden build

Post  Watts&Son Wed 03 Jan 2018, 9:28 pm

At the moment we have 10 kits, I have been painting most of the large pieces, I have assembled the basic chassis but as the kits are a bit random I have not put together much more, we have chassis, wheels, smokebox, steering, main water tanks, springs, hornplates, which is fine as at the moment I cannot spend too much time on assembly. Cleaning and painting are very time consuming. Most of the painting has been done with a brush, 1 primer 2 under coats with 2 or 3 top coats, I think I will finish the main components with a spray varnish, Which will reduce the brush marks. For lining I am using a bugler lining pen, very good and easy to use with a little practice. A friend of mine re-built a DeCapp organ Which was all brush painted, it was so well done, you could not find a brush mark any where. Something like 10 coats of paint, it is now in the St Albans organ museum. I am a bit concerned with our colour scheme, the red of the chassis is quite dark, more of a cherry red, so there is not the contrast with the maroon I was hoping. I might change the main colour to a darkish green not decided yet. I have been told Fodens did not have a corporate colour, unlike other manufactures, what ever colour you chose you could have. Until we have axles etc we cannot go much further with assembly but there is still a lot of painting to do.........................

Watts&Son

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down